What's new

X-Files Series Finale - 5/19/02 (1 Viewer)

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I think the CSM was referring to records Mulder had seen during an escapade he took early in the show.

The significance of the date in 2012 is that it is the date the Mayans subscribed to the end of this age, an end marked by a cataclysm of fire.

Darren H

Second Unit
The trial sequence was a waste of time for the fans who have been following the show closely for the last nine years. I could practically hear Carter saying, "SEE? It does all fit together, despite what you knobs on the Internet say." Of course, he had to skip the countless rabbit trails we've been forced to endure for the last four years in order to make it work, but . . .

The rest of the episode was much better than I expected, though. It was a bit sentimental at times, but a show that was this good (generally speaking) for so long deserves to pat itself on the back a bit. I enjoyed seeing the old characters return to say goodbye, and, while none of the revelations were earth-shattering, learning that the Syndicate had always known that the invasion would begin on a specific date does help to explain their motivations a bit better.

For me, the show was always more about Mulder's and Scully's relationship than aliens or conspiracies, so I found the last ten minutes very gratifying. I'm surprised that no one in this thread has yet mentioned the final image: Mulder stating his faith in something bigger than his quest, then reaching for Scully's crucifix. If you think of Mulder's nine year search for the Truth as (essentially) a search for God, then it changes his and Scully's relationship pretty dramatically. In a sense, it turns the Mulder of old into the sceptic, while the devout, scientific Scully is the true "believer."

All in all, a fitting conclusion to my all-time favorite show.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
My one word review: "Gah!!!"
The trial was basically exposition for those who haven't put it all together yet. Mulder has turned into "Speaker for the dead". I've never like military trials (they always seemed rigged).
The remainder of the finale was equally taxing. Did it ever occur to Mulder and Scully that the vehicle they were driving was fitted with a tracking bug? Why don't they do more with Gibson's powers?
Why would Skinner enter Kersh's office opened by the alien? If I were Skinner I would have run like hell! Is Kersh dead or been replaced by a pod person? Why did Kersh have a change of heart (or did he? Hmmm...).
I think Doggett's reaction to the X-Files files being taken from his office was probably the same reaction that Robert Patrick had when Chris Carter told him they were not going to be brought back for season 10. :)
So now Mulder and Scully are fugitives. Nice send-off for these characters! Not.
Gah!

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
As usual with the X-Files, the show raises a lot more questions than it gives answers.

Why did Kersh play nice towards the end? Didn't he have an implant on his neck last season leading us to believe he was part alien?

What about that alien guy that was part of the jury?

What happened to Skinner?

What happened to Dogget and Reyes?

How come Mulder and Scully never tried to get their son back now that they're together?

The list can go on and on. But nevertheless, a worthy finale for the series. I thought they wrapped it up as best as they could.

I had butterflies in my stomach when the credits rolled. Even though the last couple of seasons were a bit shaky compared to the previous ones, overall the X-Files has been one of the best and most innovative shows on television ever and it's a bit sad to see it go.

Looking forward to the movies.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Jason, Mulder knew about the date because in the beginning of the episode, before the title credits, he broke into the compound and found it on their computer.

The trial sequence was a waste of time for the fans who have been following the show closely for the last nine years. I could practically hear Carter saying, "SEE? It does all fit together, despite what you knobs on the Internet say." Of course, he had to skip the countless rabbit trails we've been forced to endure for the last four years in order to make it work, but . . .
Yes, exactly. It was like they were trying to make me feel stupid by having one character sound off on one story thread and then show a 2-second episode clip related to it. Well, that don't float with me. I could probably dig up as many 2 second clips that contradict it.

And yeah, they had dead people talking in previous episodes, but that was always a side thing, like swamp monsters and vampire cults. So they just pick one very minor recurring theme and make that the key focus of Mulder's search for truth? Zuh?

And of all dead people to visit Mulder- Krychek? They hated each other. It would have made more sense if it were Deep Throat.

My favorite part was CSM. He was just really creepy. And, it turns out, never had any redeeming qualities whatsoever. So his whole goal in life for the past couple of years was to make Mulder suffer? Wow, what a waste of energy.

I wonder if they can make the movie take place in the future, when the aliens invade. Hmm...

Grady

Agent
I'm looking for some help on the "super soldier" question. My take is they are humans who were abducted and engineered either by the aliens or humans under alien control. The purpose being sort of a police force for the aliens once they take over.

This is nothing more than an uneducated guess. Does anyone have a better idea? I'm all ears.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
My take is they are humans who were abducted and engineered either by the aliens or humans under alien control. The purpose being sort of a police force for the aliens once they take over.
Engineered by aliens. We saw the process at the beginning of season 8, when they were working on Mulder. The first supersolider we see is Billy Miles, who was the first abductee portrayed on the series all the way back in the pilot episode. At the end of season 7 ("Requiem"), Billy is abducted again; the same "bounty hunter" alien then abducts Mulder. In the two-part season 8 opener, we see a group of bounty hunter aliens working on Mulder. Later in the season ("This Is Not Happening" and "Dead Alive"), both Mulder and Billy are returned, presumably dead. Billy comes back to life as a supersoldier, which prompts Scully and Skinner to exhume Mulder. They find that his body is being revived and transformed by some sort of viral activity, which Scully halts with antiviral treatments. Then Mulder wakes up recovered and (apparently) fully human.

The fact that none of this was even mentioned in the finale is only one of many weaknesses and disappointments. The function of the "supersoldiers" was simply not addressed.

M.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
I think paranoia can only go so far. I thought Duchovny and Anderson were very good in their scenes together and obviously the ending is a set up for the upcoming film. The last two seasons were produced strictly for the money I'm afraid. Hopefully the next theatrical film will be better then the first. Interesting that both David and Gillian have not had much success in there foray into theatrical films.

Jeffrey_Scotts

Stunt Coordinator
For me, the show was always more about Mulder's and Scully's relationship than aliens or conspiracies, so I found the last ten minutes very gratifying. I'm surprised that no one in this thread has yet mentioned the final image: Mulder stating his faith in something bigger than his quest, then reaching for Scully's crucifix. If you think of Mulder's nine year search for the Truth as (essentially) a search for God, then it changes his and Scully's relationship pretty dramatically. In a sense, it turns the Mulder of old into the sceptic, while the devout, scientific Scully is the true "believer."
I fully agree with almost everything you said. Actually, I didn't think the last episode would be anywhere near as good as this was. It was done in a way I didn't fully expect and did something most other shows ever do (except maybe 7th Heaven)which is statment of belief in God. The final scene with holding Scully and the crucifix was TOTALLY fantastic.
In the end, they were on the run, had nothing left but each other and the belief everything would be OK because there was something more (i.e. God). One man despite what he thought couldn't change anything in the end, it was bigger than any one person or persons combined. But, they both found and had what they were searching for all along.
Something I never thought I would see from Chris Carter is such a great piece of work that actually delt with Christian beliefs. I must applaud him for the final show and the way it was done. Couldn't have done it better myself, simply FANTASTIC! :emoji_thumbsup:
Jeffrey

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Interesting that both David and Gillian have not had much success in there foray into theatrical films.
I disagree. While neither has been in a highly successful film, Anderson did exceptional work in The House of Mirth and received some wonderful reviews. The film wasn't widely seen because it was an arthouse film that got limited distribution in the U.S. even by arthouse standards. Had Sony bothered to promote the film or Anderson's performance, she might very well have been nominated for awards.

Duchovny, by contrast, has done very little worth seeing. He was funny in Zoolander, but mostly because of the X-Files baggage he brought to the role. As for Evolution, the less said, the better. Maybe his role in the upcoming Full Frontal will be worth something.

M.

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
Well that's that I guess.

There must have been something to the ghosts Mulder was seeing. Krycek gave him the whereabouts of Marita Kovarubius.

Were the helicopters really hunting for Mulder and Sculley or did they lead them to CSM so he could be killed?

I really wished that they would have worked Deep Throat in somehow. That character really deserved to come back seeing as it was somewhat an X-Files reunion.

Kind of a bittersweet ending. Although I am glad the series is finished I really wanted more closure and answers. It's not surprising given CC's track record.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The other ghost (the one of African descent) gave Mulder the whereabouts of Marita. The helicopters were there to bomb the hell out of the magnetite. I doubt they even know CSM was in there.

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
"X" was the ghost who gave Mulder the note; however, I'd like to think that the note was just a metaphor for the "X" portion of his personality reminding him that he already had the whereabouts of Marita in his mind, which he forgot.

I think they let Mulder and Scully escape so they could find the whereabouts of CSM.

Krycek, being one of Mulder's enemies, also seemed to work more against the conspiracy then for it (he mostly looked out for himself).

The only gripe I have is that Well Manicured Man, Bill Mulder and Deep Throat weren't around to make their final appearances. Robert Donat (Bill Mulder) may have passed on an appearance because his last flashback sequence in Season Six's "One Son" was heavily cut down to a few seconds of footage. Can only wonder what the other two actors, Jerry Hardin and John Neville, were up to.

The last 5 minutes was great, because it presented us with the idea that if these two opposites could grow to get along and eventually love each other, maybe with a little help from a higher power, they *could* stop a full scale alien invasion.

Note: The date of 2012 for the final invasion fits in with the comment "...we're still 15 years away" by a Syndicate member from Season 5's "The Red and The Black". Since that script was conceived in 1997, 15 years later would be 2012.

GaryEA

Second Unit
I'm a lapsed X-Fan, and none of my friends seem to know the answer.

Are the Lone Gunmen dead, or were they presented that way in keeping with the narrative device that those with the deeper, darker answers appear in his head?

And okay send-off, and I loved Reyes' in your face testimony. I really hope she's in the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks