X-files Season Sets (imports) on ebay...?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JayDerek, Mar 22, 2002.

1. JayDerek

JayDerek Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone had any experience with these sets? How is the quality?

I really want to get the X-files box sets and the fact that they're half the cost is hard to pass up, but I don't want to buy them if the quality is crap.

If anyone has any info, please let me know.

Thank You

Jason

2. Tom Rags

Tom Rags Supporting Actor

I posed this question a few months back:
    X-Files Asian: Legitimate?
    It seems this are great looking bootlegs and should be avoided.

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I should clarify that the PACKAGING is great looking. NOT the discs themselves (I saw one, looks like a VCD on the good parts)

4. Tom Rags

Tom Rags Supporting Actor

Thanks Jeff, that is what I meant. In re-reading my post, I wasn't too clear. I did mean packaging and not the A/V quality. :b
    Jay, I guess the mantra that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. I'm not sure how they consistenty get away with it on ebay though [​IMG]

5. Andy_A

Andy_A Second Unit

I also wondered this. I owned the US version season 3 only. I had ordered it from Canada for about 80 shipped. I discovered the cheap discs on an auction site as well. I decided to e-mail a number of the people who had bought the discs from sellers in China. The responses I got back were overwhelmingly positive. I went ahead and won an auction for all 4 seasons from a seller in China (who took Paypal) for 117 + 30 for shipping. I've been extremely satisfied with them. I've watched most of seasons 3, 4, and 1. The sound through my Dolby Pro Logic II Onkyo 797 is great. I strongly disagree with "looks like a VCD on the good parts". It looks the same as season 3 region 1. I've been into home theater since laserdisc began and know how to tell good video. I would always be sure to check feedback on the seller, which goes without saying. I'm sure you won't be disappointed, though.

6. Jeff Kleist

They're still bootlegs, which is against the rules to promote on this forum

7. Andy_A

Andy_A Second Unit

My apologies. My intent was not to promote bootlegs. It was simply to answer the question that was posed and disagree with Jeff's above post regarding the video quality of these discs. The video is in fact very good. This demonstrates the length to which these criminals will go to make an illegal buck. With the low price and frequency of these discs on ebay, it is a wonder the sellers have not been shut down. Selling the discs is a clear violation of ebay policy. The speed with which the discs arrived from the orient only reflects these lawbreakers' lawless efficiency. As stated above, the packaging is very good. However, these discs are still bootlegs. Anyone who reads this thread and is tempted to buy them should think again.

8. Jeff Kleist

I have made the effort many times to tell the majors about these auctions, they don't seem to make any effort to stop it. The only organization that i have everseen that actually chases the Ebay pirates, and tells EBay to shut down any reported auctions is Tokuma Shoten (owner of Studio Ghibli's library)