What's new

X-Files Season One Problem (1 Viewer)

Joseph Grieco

Auditioning
Let me start with the facts.
I have gone through three - count them, three! - copies of this product. The first time I had a problem with episode one, Pilot. The picture starting breaking up in the middle of the episode the siezed to play. I cleaned the disc, etc., but to no avail. The second copy played the first episode fine - I thought, "Great, problem solved!", but had the same problem on the second episode, Deep Throat. It happened again in the middle of the episode when they were going to the airfield. Now, at this point I'm assuming a bad luck run with the discs as the problems surfaced in different spots. Mind you, I haven't had any trouble with my player for three years up until this point. I have a Sony DVP S-300. So again, I returned it. Now, with my third copy, I have the same problem in episode one and episode two won't even play!
So my questions are:
1. Has anyone had a problem with this set?
2. Should I resign to the fact that it's a glitch with my player?
3. Should I resign to the fact that my player is simply broken? Note: This I find hard to believe as I previously mentioned, I haven't had any trouble with my player in over the three years I've had it.
4. Is it possible it's just a bad batch?
5. What is the absolute correct way to clean the disc and my player?
This afternoon I plan on bringing it to my friend's house were we can test it on three other DVD players. Hopefully this will answer some questions.
I greatly look forward to any help this forum can offer.
Regards,
Joseph Grieco

Matt Wooten

Second Unit
hey. well i have had season one for quite some time now.. so i can't remember every single episode for that set, but im pretty sure i didn't have any problems with any of them in season one. i skimmed through the pilot a second ago and it didn't glitch. so i think it might just be a bad batch. but u said your going over a friend's house to test it so we'll see.
alien.gif

------------------
am i qualified for the job.. no.. but i can whoop yo ass!

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Your store got a bad run of discs, any problems like that are a bad disc. Player problems are usually more like it refusing to play
Jeff Kleist

Frank L

Stunt Coordinator
I've got all 3 seasons released thus far and have had no problem with any of the discs, for what it worth. If you're not sure whether it's the discs or your player, take them to a friend to test them, or to the store where you got them from and see if they also get the problem, otherwise it may be your player.
------------------
Frank
frank.jpg

DVD Collection | Website

Jeff F.

Second Unit
I've had no problems with Seasons 1-3.
My only gripe is that Season 2 doesn't look as good resolution-wise as the others - must have cut costs on the mastering.
Unfortunately, I would guess that this may be a player problem.

Joseph Grieco

Auditioning
Conclusion:
I brought the disc to my friends house and it wouldn't play on either his PS2 or his Toshiba bringing us to the conclusion that it was indeed the disc. So I brought it back and picked up a new copy at a different store and lo and behold - drum roll please - the new copy works fine. A little side note. What I didn't mention in the original post due to its lack of relevance was that I am now currently on copy five ... not four. The missing copy was the very first one. My wife bought it for me for my birthday tomorrow, but what she didn't notice was the case was beaten to shreds. I mean, maybe two of the seven disc still had a hub to rest on. Plastic fragments all over the place. So this has been an ordeal like you could not imagine. Fortunately, after viewing the first five episodes, it looks as if it all may have been worth it. What a good show!
Thanks to those who have responed.
Regards,
Joseph Grieco

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks