1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

X-Files Season 5 P&Scam

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom De Rosa, Jan 29, 2002.

1. Marc Deslauriers

Maybe it's a mistake...what do they mean by "a first for any of our dvd collections"...to top it off, there's a widescreen picture right beside the news item!

2. Nate Thompson

I think, and hope, that this is a misprint. The following sentence just doesn't make any sense in that context. Whereas widescreen would be a first for the X-Files (and possibly all Fox TV sets)...

3. Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes Supporting Actor

Jason Hughes
    With 6 discs (vs. 7) why hasn't the price dropped? Also, not being in widescreen sounds a bit lame, but they were not shown on TV that way. Were they all open matte? Don't get me wrong, I would prefer widescreen / 16x9 ofcourse, but it doesn't sound like the end of the world. Jesus, April and May are looking like incredibly fucking expensive months. Maybe all of the studios should take June off and release NOTHING so my poor wallet can recoup! (Besides with this crappy economy I'll probably be out on the street by then anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter).

4. Lawrence Davis

Lawrence Davis Stunt Coordinator

I think the 1.33:1, should have read 1.78:1. It's probably just a typo.

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

It's not a first anyway. Stargate SG-1 is 1.78:1 anamorphic widescreen, Queer as Folk is as well.

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

7. Matt Goddard

Matt Goddard Stunt Coordinator

I certainly hope that 1.33:1 is a typo. That was my immediate reaction after reading the press release.

I seriously doubt Fox would make a screw-up as big as not doing widescreen. While I disagree with their new P&S policy, I understand that they're doing it for all the stupid people out there. However, Joe Sixpack doesn't buy the X-Files by the season. Fans of sci-fi series generally tend to be more accepting of widescreen. If not, somebody better tell the SciFi Channel. I can't believe Fox would misread X-Philes that bad.

8. Jacob_St

Jacob_St Second Unit

That's a pretty big typo considering that "full frame" is also included in the description. I hope this info is wrong because I'm not buying Season 5 if it's in pan and scan.

9. Jacob Perry

Jacob Perry Stunt Coordinator

I've never seen X-files in widescreen. I'm not so sure I want to. It's just always been full screen. The sides are not getting chopped off or it is not getting panned and scanned. It's a TV show for cripes sake!

10. Stephen A

Stephen A Agent

Has it actually been confirmed if it was season five or six that was the first to be shot in 16x9? There seams to be alot of rumors about this, it would be nice to hear from the people that really knows. If someone remembers, they actually showed one episode letterboxed ones. It was the third episode in season six (6X03). It could indicate that it was season six that was the first to be shot in 16x9?

Odcourse I'd like season five to be 16x9 aswell, but as I said, now would be a good time for some sort of offical statment about this from someone who really knows.

11. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I just sent off this note to DVD File, and an almost-exact one to DVD Review, containing the answer to this issue:

12. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

I believe you're correct, David. The movie was filmed between four and five, but the switch to widescreen happened after the movie was released and production changed to LA, in season six.

And the "first for our DVD collections" above refers to a six-disc as opposed to seven-disc set.

Ryan

13. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

I could've sworn that I remembered that guy from Fox (Peter Staddon?) during a chat here at HTF say that the season 5 set WOULD be widescreen?

14. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

Kami: He didn't say season 5 would be in widescreen, just that it would be widescreen when available, which he thought might be season five.

15. Marc Deslauriers

16. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Since it is the X-Files site saying "Our Collector Sets", not Fox's site, then I presume they are singling out that it is only 6 discs instead of the previous, "usual" 7 disc set so that there is no confusion amongst consumers.

As to the price being "the same", the X-Files site does NOT - anywhere - specify a price for this puppy. Also, DVD Review's news brief specifies that "no suggested price has been set". Only DVD File is saying it will be the usual $149.95 SRP, and it's at the end almost as an afterthought. I wonder if this is solid info, or did Peter Bracke boo-boo when he posted that. If it's "solid", I wonder if - since he's an HTF member - would post what the source of that info was (did he get a press release separate from what the X-Files site posted, perhaps).

Even if the SRP is the same, if the street price is at or around $99.99 for the entire season, I'll still probably bite. Although I agree, since it's short season (20 shows), it would be preferable to have them knock off a few bucks for this one.

17. Tim H

Tim H Stunt Coordinator

I remember Season 6 as the first in widescreen. I seem to recall reading that it was the season AFTER the movie came out, which would be the 6th season. The season finale of Season 5 was "The End", which led directly into the movie..CSM burning Mulder's office, X-Files being shut down, etc.
    I have no verification of this, and we all know how selective memory can be. [​IMG]

18. MickeS

MickeS Producer

So, most people have no clue when it was filmed in 16:9, since it wasn't shown this way (at least not in analog broadcasts). Then, why the heck are people so excited about getting it in 16:9, by all reasonable standards a non-OAR format? It doesn't make sense.

/Mike

19. Jose Q

Jose Q Stunt Coordinator

Although nobody wants to say it I think people feel this is somehow linked to the whole 10-DVDs in P&S thing...