X-Files question...how good is season 6?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kami, Dec 23, 2002.

1. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

I own seasons 1-5 on DVD and the Movie and enjoyed them all immensely, but I hear the show really takes a nose dive after the movie. Is it worth buying season 6 or should I end my x-files experience with the movie? I caught an episode here and there when Robert Patrick was on the show, and saw the series finale, etc....but these episodes didn't have the same feel as the earlier seasons and I didn't enjoy them nearly as much. Duchovny and Anderson really have a chemistry.
    I've been debating this for a while...so I thought I may as well ask. [​IMG]

2. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    Kami wrote:

3. Michael Martin

Michael Martin Screenwriter

If you own Seasons 1-5 and the movie, I recommend buying Season 6. I think it's pretty comparable to Season 5 as far as the ratio of good to bad episodes, and I think the Season 6 is even more cinematic than the previous seasons.

There is more humor in Season 6, but the scares are there as well. Some important events regarding the mythology happen, with some of it being actually (sort of) resolved.

We still haven't watched all of the eps, but some of the standalone eps that come to mind are Triangle, Drive, Arcadia, Tithonus (a very creepy episode indeed), Monday (enjoyable even though it's a fairly tired idea), and others.

We're done buying - Season 7 just really, really stank, and while Dogget's character was great, Season 8 (for us) didn't have any episodes we know we'll want to watch again.

If you can, rent it or borrow Season 6 to form your own opinion. My suggestion is purchase it but stop there - Seasons 7 - 9 simply ain't worth it.

4. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

IMHO its a stinker.

I only bought 1-4.

5. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

If you enjoyed Seasons 1-5, definitely go for Seasons 6. It's a little different than the previous five seasons, most notably having more humor, but there are still a lot of solid episodes, rewatchable episodes in this set.

6. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

Which season mostly wrapped everything up best, prior to seasons 7-9. Season 6 doesn't end in a cliffhanger does it?

7. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

The Season 6 finale, "Biogenesis", is a cliffhanger.

8. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

I plan on buying through Season 7 .. which is when Mulder exits I think.

9. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Yes, buy the show through season 7, forget the Doggett years. As much as I like Robert Patrick, they were so universally bad I had to stop watching

10. DonMac

DonMac Stunt Coordinator

I'm also a Scully & Mulder fan and think the show completely lost a sense of direction when it went on without Mulder as the central character on a personal quest for the truth. So I definitely recommend getting Season 6. True, it's uneven, like Season 5, but it's still a worthy season to buy, IMO.

After that, I'm not sure about getting any further seasons. Season 7 is very uneven, but it does have a few notable episodes, so I'm still debating whether to buy it. Season 8 is the one without Mulder for half of the season, but it does end strongly and, most importantly, without a cliffhanger. (In fact, its ending would've been a good way to end the series.) Season 9 is mostly forgettable, though, with only a few decent episodes and what I think is the single worst episode of the entire series: the ridiculously dumbed-down finale called "The Truth". (Surprisingly, it's the only Season 9 episode with Mulder in it. But, like Larry David's return for the Seinfeld finale, his return yields decidedly awful results.)