What's new

X-Files is Cancelled (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
This might get moved to the TV section, but from my point of view this is software-related. We now know how many season box-sets of X-Files will ultimately be available to collect.
Read the CNN article where Chris Carter states that this season will be the last.
It's okay. It just hasn't been the same. Thanks all, for a good run...and we'll look forward to Fight The Future's sequel that Duchovny and Anderson have signed up for.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I've always loved "The X-Files", but it's time. 9 years is a great run for any drama.

To keep this on a Software note...

Seasons 5 and on have only 20 - 22 episodes apiece. This means 6 discs instead of 7, and hopefully a bit if a price reduction...

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
As much as I've followed the show through the years, I can't say that this surprises or disappoints me. I still watch it, but its lost the luster it had. That should mean no conflicts next season over watching it or Alias.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Some comments:

Carter hoped Duchovny would return as Special Agent Fox Mulder for the two-part series finale

This seems like a logical thing, but I doubt it will happen. It would definitely be the way to go, it would be sort of strange to see the show finish with only Scully in it and not Mulder (that's part of the reason I think they should have written Scully's character out along with Mulder last season).

I would VERY MUCH like to see "X-Files" continue as a show about paranormal mysteries, starring Patrick, Gish and Pileggi, however if they keep insisting on focusing stories around the departed Mulder and the writing is as bad as it's been most of this season, then the right thing to do is call it quits.

/Mike

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Well, that got moved to TV section quick enough! :D
At least Mitch Pileggi Link Removed, and in the same paranormal vein, too! :laugh:

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
IMO-

Can't say that I'm all that surprised, though I think it's a shame. To echo an earlier post, I think they could have done quite a bit with the new characters if they had given Duchovney/Mulder a clean break instead of weighting down their conspiracy story lines with Mulder-mania. I think it's unfair to the new actors and the characters that they're playing to burden them with this imposed crutch. If they'd just let Mulder go, I think the writing and plot lines would have been much cleaner and stronger.

I'm not coming down on those that think if there is no Mulder, there is no X-Files. I just think that a show has to evolve if it's to keep itself in the running, and I think that changing up the main characters might have been the way to do that. Instead of doing that, though, they tried to keep it mired in an absent character thus insuring they would alienate any new viewers that hadn't tuned in before.

Conroy Tesa

Stunt Coordinator
I think it was 2 fold. Ok they may have had bad writing over the last couple of years but it wasn't 'funny' anymore.

Mulder had a sense of humour about him which made his character human. Scully feed off that. The interaction was awesome. I remember when I first watched the show they were so cardboard and stiff but it was great! That was their FBI characters. Now everything (characters,stories) are serious and BIG! What about stories like the liver boy. The guy that ate livers and slept for years. It was great. Not everything was a conspiracy.

They should have pulled a Star Trek a coulpe of years ago.

End the series and just out out good movies every 2 years.

It is easier to write a good 120 minute movie script every 2 years then 40-44 1 hour scripts in 2 years.

That said, when the show was good it was the best on TV!

Next in line is Law and Order. It stinks this year!

David Oliver

Second Unit
I have been watching the show avidly since it's incepetion. So when this season started I told myself I would keep watching. But I haven't really. it just doesn't have the immeidacy it used. The X-Files used to be a show I simply could not stand to miss. Now, although I find it somewhat entertaining, I just don't feel that I have to watch it. I used to be invested inthe show, and now that isn't there anymore.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
1) Thank god!

2) The writing went downhill 3 years ago.

3) This is just Carter doing spin control. The show is not going out on top and he knows it.

HenrikTull

Second Unit
I feel alittle ashamed of admitting this, but the first thing I thought of when I read the topic was: "finally". The last time X-Files was watchable was 4 years ago, since then, it's been nothing but boring.

Jon Mercer

Second Unit
I used to faithfully watch the show every Sunday night, I even like the new characters. What I hate is the God-aweful writing, that more than anything is what sunk this show. :frowning:
Oh well on to Alias!!;)

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Fox though has really got to be shaking over it though. Being the fact that even though the last few years have been lackluster, it has always been a decent if not huge draw. That is revenue that is going to be hard to replace.

bill lopez

Second Unit
I hope David Dochovny movie career continues to deliver movie bombs so then no one will hire him for movies. And then he won't have X-FILES to come back to since it's because of him that the show is being cancelled. Remember if you love a t.v. show and it's star decides to make movies don't go see it because if the movie becomes a hit the star will leave the show.:angry:

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
It's funny, this is the first season I've actually watched X-Files regularly on TV. Must be the influence of getting the DVD boxsets and getting into the first few seasons in a big way. It would be nice to have Mulder back for the sendoff, but I somehow doubt it's in Carter to wrap thing up with a bow.

Kind of the opposite of what happened with The Simpsons, where it seems I've only ever seen shows from the first season, even though I've seen them over quite a few years.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I hope David Dochovny movie career continues to deliver movie bombs so then no one will hire him for movies. And then he won't have X-FILES to come back to since it's because of him that the show is being cancelled. Remember if you love a t.v. show and it's star decides to make movies don't go see it because if the movie becomes a hit the star will leave the show.
The show doesn't suck because Duchovny left. The show sucks because of the lack of imagination and vision of Chris Carter and the writers.

Duchovny got out while the gettin' was good. The last few seasons have been simply an embarrassment. This series should've been wrapped up long ago, before the decline became so precipitous.

Good luck to Duchovny. He was smart to get out. Smarter than Fox. Smarter than the writers. Smarter than the poor schmoes who kept tuning in week-after-week, hoping against hope for an improvement that never came.

Thomas Reagan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas
Here's hoping they finish off strong !!! Since the second feature movie is said to be independent of the current TV show plotline(s), hopefully Duchovny will appear at the end of the season and tie up everything. :)
Thos.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Good luck to Duchovny. He was smart to get out. Smarter than Fox. Smarter than the writers. Smarter than the poor schmoes who kept tuning in week-after-week, hoping against hope for an improvement that never came.
This is good. This is healthy. All the bile-spewers can vomit out their whining in this thread, and maybe then they'll leave us "poor shmoes" in peace when we try to discuss future episodes as the series winds to a close.

M.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
It is easier to write a good 120 minute movie script every 2 years then 40-44 1 hour scripts in 2 years.
Er, have you seen the last couple of Trek films? :) They haven't had a genuinely good script since Wrath of Khan although some (like First Contact) were less awful than others. The problem isn't quantity, it is talent and vision, neither of which Rick Berman or most of his associates ever had.
As for X-Files, I've only seen the first 3 seasons (on DVD) so I'll keep buying the sets until I stop liking what I see.
Regards,
Joe

bill lopez

Second Unit
I hope the stars from CROSSING JORDAN, SCRUBS,SOPRANOS don't have any hit movies anytime soon or they'll be leaving their shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks