What's new

X-Files: Fight the Future DVD? (1 Viewer)

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I don't know about the rest of you but recently I tried searching through the hundreds of retail websites online and I could not find a single website that sells the standard DVD release of the first X-Files movie.

With the upcoming release of X-Files: I Want to Believe, you would think that 20th Century Fox would re-release the first movie but it's jno longer available for sale at any retailer website or for purchase through a store. The closest I could find was that three pack assortment but it comes packaged with two other movies for the very high retail rpice of $30.

Being that I love to buy my DVD's and have them housed in their own DVD cases, I'd like to know why Fox hasn't kept this movie available for sale by consumers. It's kind of odd since they are releasing the blu ray version of the movie but not the DVD. Surely it's odd, since studios love to re-release previous movies of a franchise to capture those added sales.

Anyone know what's going with Fox in regards to this?

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Movies get discontinued all the time, it's not that odd. I'm sure it will be released in December with the sequel and their Bluray counterparts.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Zach, actually, it hasn't even been put on the re-release schedule for December. X-Files Fight the Future Blu Ray has been set for release and so have the standard DVD and the Blu Ray for the sequel but the first movie has been been left off the release schedule and just about every online retailer as well as brick and mortar stores have it listed as discontinued and no longer in print or stock.

I just find it in poor taste that Fox would take the movie out of print as far as DVD consumers are concerned. This definitely isn't going to be a convincing argument to get me to switch formats.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Possibly, Travis. But considering that the first X-Files movie is now only to be made available as a Blu Ray format it's just another reason why 20th Century Fox sucks so much ...

When a studio makes the announcement for new DVD releases, they usually take the opportunity to re-release previous movies in that franchise. When studios no longer make movies available it's a wonder why the MPAA is spending so much time fighting piracy.

The Digital Bits had already reported that "ONLY" X-Files I Want to Believe ( DVD and Blu Ray) and X-Files Fight the Future ( Blu Ray ) have been announced for release on December 12th. Making the movie available only on Blu Ray just proves this point.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Mark, you seem to be a bit of a conspiracy theorist. ;)

I promise you the 1st film will be released on DVD as well as Bluray. It looks like it will be a considerable upgrade on DVD from the previous release as well, so I'd wait until December even if you can find it.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB

Worst case scenario: the film never gets another standard DVD release. Okay, so you track down the previous edition (DTS, anamorphic transfer) used on eBay or wherever (hell, I'll sell you mine cheap when the Blu-ray comes out!). It's a fine DVD presentation that still holds up quite well.

Matthew Clayton

Stunt Coordinator

K-mart's online store has the 2001 anamorphic DTS version of FtF in stock for $9.98. Or you can check Walmart's bargain bins and find it cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yacubjkc
Recent bookmarks