What's new

X-Files Bloopers on TV....Why not on DVD? (1 Viewer)

John Simon

Second Unit
I don't know if anyone else was watching "Fox's Funniest Bloopers" tonight, but there were a number of very funny outtakes from The X-Files. I've seen other blooper reels online as well, and I was wondering if anyone knows why we've never seen these as an extra or easter egg on the DVDs. I'd once heard the actors were against it, but the fact they appeared on television seems to dispute that. Any ideas?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Because of the outrageous royalty payments Duchovony is sure to demand as they are not included in his contract.

The same reason why gag reels get pulled all the time. Also some people's agents feel thatthey make their clients look bad. Notice how Spider-Man's gags do not contain Tobey MacGuire. and how other now-famous people get excluded from them if they ever make it to disc

There are other ways to get the full gag reels, do some research

John Simon

Second Unit
I understand that, but I was questioning if there are different rules for the outtakes to appear on TV. I was surprised that they could show them on TV, but not DVD.

Oh, and I know about those blooper reels. Problem is, the quality of a super-compressed file is really terrible.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Oh, and I know about those blooper reels. Problem is, the quality of a super-compressed file is really terrible.
Actually, it's more because they're coming off of dailies and AVID output. No matter how good of a medium you have, they'll never look that good

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I noticed that some of the outtakes were letterboxed (like some of the ones from "24"). Why can't they show the actual show like that?

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
Something else about the X-Files bloopers - Duchovny and Anderson tend to swear quite a bit when they flub a line, and Fox might be hesitant to spend the time bleeping them or putting them uncensored on a disc with shows made for TV.

I realize that The X-Files was generally a boundary-testing show with gore and language, but I've seen a few of the outtakes and heard some of the audio, and some of it would make a Scorcese movie about the mob seem tame.

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
I have a tape with blooper reels from the first 4-5 seasons of The X-Files and that's about an hour long. It's fun to watch in the beginning but after a while it seems like you're watching the same thing over and over. Bloopers are probably better in smaller doses. Same with the Seinfeld bloopers I have. Plus the overall video quality is not too good on either one of them, especially for The X-Files.

John Simon

Second Unit
James, that's not a bad idea. Especially since it would probably encourage a number of fans (including myself) to buy it despite the lackluster quality of that final season.

And Jeff, The X-Files was filmed in widescreen for HDTV starting in the 5th season. If you buy the DVDs, the widescreen presentations are what you'll be getting from the 5th season on. Hope that helps.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
I don't think anything could induce me to buy Season 9 - ugh. They really should have ended it with season 8.

Actually, IMNSHO, what Carter SHOULD have done is let Scully and Mulder go off the show completely. He had two ready-made characters - Doggett and Reyes - who could have easily taken over the investigations. I think it could have really rejuvenated the show, and I would have vastly preferred it over the endless reinvention of the conspiracy and seeing Scully without Mulder.

My own .02!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks