X-Files 5/5/02

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, May 6, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Was that Robert Patrick's real wife, Barb Patrick, who played Barbara Doggett, the ex-wife?
    The whole "Sixth Sense" angle was sort of lame, that character was more than disturbing the way he's look at you, or hunch his shoulders.
    So Brad's a dirty cop/agent. Wonder what made him think it was worth the risk to kill the guy with the threat of the story/video being sent to the newspaper?
    At least Doggett was satisfied that he knows what went down, and his son was just collateral damage.
    Next episode does seem like a hoot. Maybe Greg Brady or Bud Bundy will hit on Scully. [​IMG]

2. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
  3. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Supporting Actor

Ok, I enjoyed this episode, but I've enjoyed Reyes and Doggett since they've come on board. But here's my problem: With only three episodes left, shouldn't Chris Carter be dealing more with wrapping up Mulder's abduction / alien conspiracy stuff? It just seems kind of a waste to have three weeks to wrap this series up and one week is used on Doggett's son and next week will be used on the Brady Bunch. So basically the entire series will get wrapped up in a two hour finale. Seems like a missed opportunity, but we shall see.

Peace,

DM

4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

5. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    I watched the episode but when that mob guy went into his rant, I was left confused. Could someone explain what he said to Dogett please?

6. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    Zen Butler wrote:
    I agree, the Follmer character acted out of disgust; an association with gangsterism is one thing, one with pedophilia a whole 'nother thing. Besides, how could he be sure the mobster weren't in on the pedophiliac murder?
    I guess Follmer also won't be in the movie, huh?
    And didn't the "creepy-looking" schizo infiltrate the FBI a little too easily??? Well, I guess if anyone can walk into headquarters at any time of day or night, they'll let anybody in anyway, without the benefit of a thorough background check to uncover false credentials and history.

7. Michael St. Clair

So do you think Brad goes down? Do you think they'll ever let us know?

I doubt it (the latter).

8. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

9. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Ever since "Kiss The Girls" Cary Elwes gives me the heebie-jeebies when he's playing a law enforcement dude.

I still contend the finale will end with Mulder getting into the shower, only to find Bobby Ewing in there already. Heh.

11. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    My favorite scene last night was when Scully broke down and lamented the loss of her child, which she had despearately hoped for several years, and actually cared for almost a whole year. You know the scene, where she told her mother the reason she was putting the child up for adoption and her mother, who'd cared for the child herself whenever Scully wanted to traipse off on another adventure, didn't have her committed for it.

Oh wait...that didn't happen. That still pisses me off.

This was a fine episode except for the quick wrap up at the end with the easy confession and Follmer snapping.

12. David Oliver

David Oliver Second Unit

I got the impression that the "businessman", although a gangster, was not necessarily the gangster telling the story. Otherwise I could not see him telling Doggett.

13. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Supporting Actor

The mobster *was* the business man, because he was a cold hearted bastard who thought that merely knowing the fate of Doggett's son Luke would satisfy Doggett. He spoke in the third person, so even if it was brought to court, they couldn't prove anything. Plus, the mobster still believed he had Follmer in his pocket to prevent prosecution, not knowing he was waiting outside to kill him.

With the exception of "John Doe" this was by far the best episode all season. The acting by Cary Elwes, Robert Patrick and Jared Poe (the cadet) was spectacular. The direction, cinematography, and musical score were superb, and made the episode all the more enjoyable. This installment almost made it worth sitting through other disasters like "Scary Monsters".

Many fans have complained that these last four episodes aren't being used properly, but its really the standalones the series is best at. I'd take a thorough character study of Doggett anyday over a tepid mythology installment like "William."

14. Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth Supporting Actor

I have a problem with the interpretation that the business man killed Bob the Child Molester right then and there resulting in the need to kill the child. As I recall at the start of the show when John is going over the case he shows a mug shot of Bob TCM to his partner and says he was the only suspect but he was later killed in New Orleans in a car crash. I though the business man said he killed the child for seeing he associate with Bob TCM.

jeremy

15. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Supporting Actor

I believe the child molester, Bob Harvey, actually died in a car accident a few days or weeks after the abduction of Luke. I believe this fact was referenced in last year's "Empedocles."

Since no one brought up Harvey's death, I think its considered accidental. Doggett always knew his name, but since Harvey died before anything could be proved, the case dried up without any new information.

16. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

17. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Anyone know why we're getting an abbreviated season this year? Counting the eps at the X-Files website, there appear to only be 19 episodes in this final season. I know they did a shorter season to allow for the making of the first movie, but don't know of any reason to shorten the current season?

18. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    The final episode is a "twofer", so its more like a 20 episode season. That's one less than last year. Season Five was 20 episodes as well, and they haven't had more than 22 episodes since season four.

Regards,