X-Files 3/31/02

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Apr 1, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Ho-hum. If the series was continuing, this might have been a decent episode as it features the case that put Doggett's career on the fast track, and adds to his character (and the subsequent revelation of how unjustly this case was in being instrumental to Doggett's rise in law enforcement).

But as an episode of a series winding down, it was played as a filler episode, and not all that interesting, though it did turn into a X-Files case after starting as a Doggett-driven case.

2. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

On a scale of 1-10, I'd give it a 4.5. A good bit of acting on Dogget's behalf when He finds out his partner planted evidence.

I always loved the show for the mythology. The stand alone episodes were very good, but the reason I enjoyed them was mainly due to the superb chemistry between Mulder and Scully.

Now, I do think that the chemistry between Doggen and Reyes is good, but they're no M&S. Tonight, the chemistry just wasn't there.

On a plus note, next weeks episode looks hilarious. I'm hoping for something along the lines of "Jose Chung's From Outer Space." (although I'm sure it wont top it)

3. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    I didn't judge it on being one of the last, and I thought it had some pretty creepy moments. I would have preferred more work be done on the actual bad guy, some depth into why he couldn't face the fact he was a sinner and had to transform into someone else. Why did he kill in the first place? Overall a good solid episode, but not great.

REALLY looking forward to next week. I love Burt Reynolds, he's got great comedic timing and he looks like he has fun with the role.

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

man...talk about snoozeville.

last night's episode didn't do it for me at all...the only thing that was kinda cool was the gore.

btw - what's up with the fox widescreen digital whatever at the beginning of the show? i'm assuming that's for hi-def?

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

It's not HDTV 1080, but just 480p.

6. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    "Underneath" was pretty tedious. I like the stand-alone episodes much better than the so-called "mythology" ones, but this one didn't do it. Creative exhaustion time.
    The episode has a similar premise to an earlier episode: "Chimera", which I thought was much better done, although neither episode adequately tries to explain the phenomena that have set the events of its story in motion.
    "Chimera" talked vaguely about "dissociative personalities", while "Underneath" speculates (lightly) about "sin". If mere "sinning" or "denial" of our deeds alone could turn us into monsters, we'd probably all be on the rampage.
    A show like The X-Files shouldn't necessarily explain too much, but they need to do better than this.
    How 'bout a GOOD monster episode before this show fades into syndication heaven?

7. Brad Porter

Brad Porter Screenwriter

The most distracting thing about this week's episode for me was the presence of W. Earl Brown. I kept waiting for him to shout "Franks and beans!" or to go nuts when somebody touched his head. His having recently portrayed a "mentally challenged" man on a Philly episode didn't help. [​IMG]
    [/rant mode on]
    I truly am watching The X-Files now out of a sense of duty. I keep hoping that Carter and company planned out the ending of the series years ago - maybe a four or five episode arc that really flows well and ties up several of the remaining puzzlers in the mythology. If they didn't know the end until the "retirement" of the series was announced, then I have little hope that I'll draw much satisfaction from it. It would help if they weaved some of the upcoming plot points into current episodes so I'd have something to keep my attention. That didn't start this week and it likely won't happen next week (judging from the preview).
    And are we really supposed to believe that Doggett has any skepticism left? It worked for Scully over the years because her character was the surrogate for the audience - the person on the screen who best represents the point of view of a person who hasn't conceived of what is possible in the twisted universe of The X-Files. Her character was straddling our world (where her skepticism and application of the scientific method would be rewarded) and the bizarro world, so she had to be the voice of reason even after years of weird, wild stuff. Mulder never seemed completely crazy because he had an encyclopedic knowledge of the contents of the X-files. Countless episodes began with him firing up the slide projector to bring Scully (and the audience) up to speed on the "monster of the week". No matter how nutty his theories were, he usually had some credibility because he could show a case history. If you just accepted that they lived in a world where weird stuff was possible but rare, you had a great pair of guides to show you the weirdness. Reyes and Doggett can't take over the Mulder-Scully dynamic because a) Reyes seems to be pulling her theories out of her ass in every episode, and b) Doggett doesn't have a significant grounding in science for his skepticism to be a result of anything other than stubbornness. Neither one of them is a particularly good foil for the FBI brass either. The problem with this season hasn't been the paint-by-numbers plots or the acting abilities of any of the performers. The problem has been that the Doggett and Reyes characters were never properly written to take over as central characters - and Scully has had to "hang around" to lend them credibility all season long.
    [rant mode off]
    Brad

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Holy moley! That guy was Warren from "There's Something About Mary"? Haha!

9. Mike St.Louis

Mike St.Louis Supporting Actor

I concur with your rant Brad.

After it was announced that the series was concluding this season there was an interview with one of the X-Files staff. He basically said that the announced cancellation would not affect the remaining episodes significantly.

I think the only result from the cancellation will be the return of Mulder. However I don't expect there will be much in terms of tieing up loose ends.

10. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I found it vaguely amusing that the character's name was "Bob". Twin Peaks much?

Regards,