X-Files 3/10/02

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Mar 10, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Would a kind soul please provide a recap of tonight's show? I totally got sidetracked with the 9/11 that X-Files fell off the map for me. TIA.

2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Doggett was in a coma for most of the episode. The Dread Pirate Roberts led the investigation into Doggett's assault and the kidnapping of Scully's baby. Scully, Reyes, and the Lone Gunmen witheld information from the investigation and searched for the baby independently. Despite their efforts, the kidnapper manages to get the baby to the UFO cult leader at the excavation site in Canada, where his presence makes the spaceship do some whacky things. The leader of the UFO cult turned out to be a Gulf War vet who had seen a team of supa-soljahs in action. He believes the aliens are gods and the supa-soljahs are like heavenly hosts.

The agent Scully shot is revived partially when Scully and Reyes bring him the spaceship fragment. They disconnect his monitors so that the staff will not be alerted. He reveals a prophecy from the UFO cult folks that seems to say that if Mulder lives, Scully's baby will prevent the Alien domination of Earth, but if Mulder dies (which he believes has occured) Scully's baby will become a leader in the new regime or whatever, which is why "he must die".

Scully and Reyes are interrupted by a balding middle-aged agent and hospital staff and told to leave the room. When they return, the revived attempted baby-killer agent is dead and the spaceship fragment is missing, almost certainly the work of the balding middle-aged agent. Doggett awakes in his room while Scully is at his bedside and tells her that a voice has told him that "they" will contact Scully and that she should not trust "them".

Scully is contacted pretty much on cue by the leader of the UFO cult and told to meet him somewhere in western Canada and come alone if she wants to see her son. At the meeting, he tells her that she can see her baby if she brings him proof that Mulder is dead (which he believes now may not be certain). The Lone Gunmen, who were staking out the meeting place with Reyes, plant a tracking device in the cult leader's vehicle and Scully and Reyes follow him until the signal is lost. They spot a tent in the distance, and at the same time, the spaceship goes "active" with a blast of light and flames. Scully and Reyes see the ship ascend and take off. The excavation sight is now a big pit filled with scorched Earth and charred bodies of UFO cult members. Scully's baby is found amidst the carnage apparently unharmed.

Epilogue: Assistant Director Dread Pirate Roberts approaches Kersh about taking his name off of a recently submitted report that Skinner had refused to sign in the first place about the attempted baby-killer agent's death, mentioning that hospital monitor records showed that his vital signs had actually returned to normal before the monitor was disconnected, supporting Reyes' and Scully's story. Kersh suggests he spend less time backpedaling and more time looking for explanations. After he leaves, Kersh walks into his office where the balding middle-aged agent is waiting for him. Kersh hands him the file, says "Everything's dead except for this investigation", and the balding middle aged agent, revealed to have the "neck nipple" bump of a "supa soljah", says he can take care of that.

Next week: Yet another agent (Reyes) in a coma.

Regards,

3. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Question: why is everyone using the spelling "super-soljahs" instead of just "super soldiers?"

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Thanks, kind soul.
    Actually, it's "Supa Soljas". [​IMG] People are just having fun with the way that Doggett pronounces "Super Soldiers".
    So when will Kersh be revealed as having one of those neck bumps as well?

5. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

I think this episode had a couple of good moments but for the most part was a regular Season 9 snoozer. (unlike last week which was much better.) I found myself constantly changing the channel for a couple of seconds to avoid falling asleep. I also couldn't help but groan and think not again at the end when when they showed the bump on the guys neck.

6. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

Last night's episode was kind of a snoozer... granted, it wasn't horrible, or even bad, but after last weeks episode, I had high hopes for this one.
    Please, Chris Carter, bring back the consortium to some degree. Find a way to bring them back in... the supah sojah storyline just isn't doing it for me... [​IMG]

7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Personally, I thought this was was an improvement over last week. There were moments where I sensed that the producers actually knew the direction in which they were headed. Any indication that the rudder may be in the water is reason for hope, IMHO. My biggest complaint was that, near the end, they mixed an infant crying into the surround channel which can be very distracting when your 7-month old daughter is sleeping down the hall from where you are watching the show.

(Adopts Morrissey voice for show's new theme song)

"Agent in a coma I know/

I know it's serious"

Regards,

8. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

"Assistant Director Dread Pirate Roberts"
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

so-so episode. i actually thought the previous one had more "pace" to it.
    anyway, a couple of questions:
    1. who (if anyone) was in the spaceship when it took off

2. how in the heck could the baby be unharmed - the whole place caught on fire! ugh...

btw - i also cracked up when ken wrote the dread pirate roberts! [​IMG]

10. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    "The X-Files" has always been about great build-ups, but lousy pay offs. Last night's pay off was just dull.

Maybe I was just too jazzed about the Star Wars trailer, or maybe my mind was with "9/11" which I was taping for when my wife got off work, but last night's episode severely dropped the ball after last week's episode. More needed to be done with the UFO cult.

The only highlight was when Kersh came into his office and talked to a character off screen, I got really jazzed that it'd be the return of CSM, but nope, just the dope from earlier in the episode. That's what "X-Files" has been lacking lately, a good identifiable bad guy. Kersh just doesn't cut it. And the Dread Pirate Roberts seems to be having a change of heart.

But, I'm still excited about the show and am looking forward to each new episode (especially the Burt Reynolds one and "Jump the Shark").

11. Jay W

Jay W Supporting Actor

Exactly Chad. After whatever little hope there was for a nice wrapup to this 2 part installment last week it was quickly snuffed out (and you could feel it within the first 20 minutes of the show last night). Sigh.

12. Stacy Huff

Stacy Huff Second Unit

Patrick,

I taped last night's episode (with the Star Wars trailer). Send me an email if that interests you.

Also, I like referring to Cary Elwes as agent Dread Pirate Roberts. As for agent attempted baby killer, I like to refer to him as Lt. Buck Compton (from Band of Brothers).

13. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Say, what ever did happen to Cigarette Smoking Man? I can't remember what was the last thing they showed him do. Same for Krycheck.

I don't get what the deal is with Skinner. He's changing allegiances every 2 seconds.

I hope Kirsch doesn't have a "bump" or is directly influenced by the aliens. I like the idea of him being a weasley FBI stooge.

I was also making Dread Pirates Roberts jokes last night.

What's the guy's real accent- English or American?

14. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Supporting Actor

The X-Files used to have pay offs that could be very, very confusing, but could still be satisfying. Last night's episode was just a strong reminder that it's a good idea to end the show by May 19th.

15. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann

16. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I thought last night's episode was better than the one before it. Like Ken said, it actually seemed like they knew where they were going with this thing.

The end was silly though.

/Mike

17. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Rex,

"Dread Pirates Roberts" is the name of Ewles's character in The Princess Bride

18. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    BrianB -- "One" of the names, to be precise. [​IMG]
    I thought this episode had better payoffs than most I have seen in the last couple of years. They took a first step at tying the supa soljahs (Sorry, Patrick, I'm stuck on my vaguely rastafarian-looking spelling of it [​IMG]) to some of the other loose series threads such as the spaceship with the ancient writings on it. It made Kurtz and Follmer (err...I mean Assistant Director Dread Pirate Roberts) more interesting. There were far fewer illogical twists than last week, and no breathy portentious exchanges between Scully and Reyes.
    Regards,

19. BrianB

BrianB Producer

20. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Rex, I was not joking. I haven't watched X-Files since last season up until last week, and my memory is bad. I'm only watching now because they're ending it.

Thanks for the info. Now that you mention it, I think I do vaguely remember that.