What's new

X-Files 12/09/01 SPOILERS AHOY! (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Since I've aptly titled this thread with "SPOILERs AHOY" I don't feel the need to spoilerize the text below:
This felt more like an "Outer Limits" episode than an X-Files episode, but it was still nicely paced and interesting to see how Reyes and Doggett's feelings manifest themselves under these conditions.
But, the resolution of the parallel world switcheroo didn't really work for me. If this really happened, then letting Doggett die shouldn't bring back "our" Doggett back to "our" X-Files universe, should it? Seems to me, Lukesh was the only one that would be able to create that "parallel universe hop" field that the "other" Doggett walked into with Lukesh.
Now if it was just Reyes' imagination running wild on her, well, I can accept that. :)

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
Its like an X-File all to itself, the missing thread title. I bet you anything its a big government conspiracy!

JQ

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Thankfully one of the admins fix the thread title.

So, now, what did everyone think of last night's episode?

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well I agree with Doggett theProducers have definately watched Star Trek too much. It was way way out there and if I have a complaint it was that even in the way out there dept with Mulder and Scully , Mulder would do some investigating to reach a conclusion. Reyes just seemed to have all the answers. Then they just waited around until the killer came to them. I would've liked to seen Scully and Reyes actually do some work on the case. But at least this show was not boring, something the past few shows were.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
letting Doggett die shouldn't bring back "our" Doggett back to "our" X-Files universe, should it?
It might work, given that he was "unnaturally" forced out, he might pop back in. But what I wouldn't expect is for Reyes to go back through time! Is Lukesh dead? His mother?
The story does work better if she imagined the whole thing :)
//Ken

Steven K

Supporting Actor
Wow... I was actually very impressed with this episode. Yes there were holes, yes there were things that didn't make perfect sense...

But, damn, I was entertained. I was more on edge wondering what the hell was going on more so that wondering what was going to happen next.

It's not on my top 10 of all time list, but a very decent episode nonetheless. Much better than "Daemonicus"

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Actually what I thought was revealed at the end of the episode was that Reyes was actually the one who got pulled into the alternate universe.

In the 'regular' X-files universe, Dogget joins Reyes at her apartment with the hot dogs. Meanwhile in the alternate universe Reyes is killed. this pulls Reyes into the alternate universe which is where the episode takes place. In this universe, alternate Reyes is dead, and alternate Dogget is dying. When Reyes pulls the plug on Dogget, she returns to the regular universe, at the exact same time she left.

Thus the only scenes that take place in the regular universe are the ones in reyes' apartment. Since she returns the same time she left, nothing changes at all in the regular universe. However, both alternate Reyes, and Alternate Dogget are dead.

Anyway this is what I belive to be the case. What do you think?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm thinking I'd like a better explanation of Lukesh's powers. Is there a promixity thing going on, or can he do it from afar?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Meanwhile in the alternate universe Reyes is killed. this pulls Reyes into the alternate universe which is where the episode takes place. In this universe, alternate Reyes is dead, and alternate Dogget is dying. When Reyes pulls the plug on Dogget, she returns to the regular universe, at the exact same time she left.
But in the alternate universe, Reyes' body was seen by others (including A.D. Follmer), and even if it weren't, it wouldn't remain undiscovered for long.

The fact that the mechanics of the swap are left vague is classic X-Files. The series usually leaves the details unexplained; only the big concept is revealed. I found "4-D" reasonably entertaining, and the Star Trek reference was a welcome reminder of more humorous days on the series. Maybe the fun is finally coming back.

M.

Bingo

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone else find Doggett's comment "First time I've ever wished for a little prick" very funny....and very Mulder like?
Overall, I liked the episode....and the tongue was definitely gross
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
Actually what I thought was revealed at the end of the episode was that Reyes was actually the one who got pulled into the alternate universe.
I don't think so. They did show the Doggett from the alternate universe following Lukesh into this universe and then displacing the real Doggett. But my question would be where is the real Doggett all this time? What happens to the dead Doggett at the end? Does he go back to the alternate universe and then become an X-file himself?? In an alternate universe, what are the chances that Doggett and Reyes both still work for the FBI as partners??

Oh well, you can pick this one apart fairly easily, but it was enjoyable to watch.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
This episode didn't make much sense, had plot holes the size of a Tora Bora cave and a rather unsatisfying finale... but man, I enjoyed it! Creepy, mysterious and unpredictable, just like an X-file should be.

Too bad the writing is so sloppy, they really should have come up with a better way of explaninging things, and poor Scully isn't doing anything on the show anymore...

/Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks