What's new

X-Files 1/6/02 (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i had a thought about the ending...when the soldier got sucked into the mountain side.
did anyone get the reference to the iridium (sp?) layer? they specifically showed it more than once.
(my science may be off here - please correct me if i'm wrong...)
i think the iridum layer is a "ring around the world". it's found throughout the continents, at approximately the same depth. the kicker is...this material is not found naturally on the earth, but is found on comets or asteroids or whatever. they think the comet that caused this layer is the same thing that wiped out the dino's.
if that is what the producers were intending, i think it's a pretty cool tie-in.

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
What I get tired of the most is the deification of Mulder, and (I feel) by extension, David Duchovny. Somehow, it seems that Mulder has become the solitary driving force on X-Files, and he's not even on the show! I don't mind saying that my estimation of this season's conspiracy episodes would probably go up a few notches if they weren't so mired in Mulder-mania.
I am one of those people. Mulder is the X-Files. The abduction of his sister led him to the FBI and the FBI led him to the X-Files. The X-Files held the clues to Samantha's abduction and to the cover-up of the impending alien invasion. Scully became involved to keep tabs on Mulder.

So while I can see Scully and Skinner carrying on Mulder's investigations, I don't see how Dogget and Reyes could have any stake in it.

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
Mike,

Based on your reply, would I be correct in thinking that your reason for watching the show was based more on the characters (and their interactions) of Mulder and Scully than on the general premise of the show itself? If so, then I completely see where you're coming from.

I, on the other hand, have always enjoyed the premise of the show. I thought that the characters of Mulder and Scully were equally important to the series. If X-Files had boasted one and not the other, then it would have been pointless (for me). In fact, I might even be willing to say that Scully was a little more important. Without her, it would've just been this guy willing to believe anything and everything running around at the slightest hint of something weird and totally buying into whatever he saw. IMO, that would've gotten really boring, really fast.

Once Mulder left, if they'd just tried to continue with Scully alone, I don't think I'd be watching for very long; not because I needed Mulder to be there for Mulder's sake, but because it would have lacked balance.

With Dogget and Reyes, though, we have some of that balance back. And they're not just clones of Mulder and Scully, they're different characters in their own right. Since the balance of the characters is there (again, IMO), I think the premise of the show is still intact and is just as good without Mulder there. I don't think I'd feel the same way about the non-conspiracy episodes otherwise (like I said in my earlier post, I think the non-conspiracy episodes are really strong). I guess I just like the new characters enough to think they don't need the Mulder crutch any more. I also think that we'll never really get a chance to see the new characters stretch their legs at all until they can lose the weight of Mulder on their backs.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Mulder is still important to the show because he's still important to Scully. So long as she's on the show than Mulder must be discussed in some fashion. Not just for Scully's character, but to the impending movie which will involve Duchovny.

Now, after Anderson leaves this season, and if there IS a next season, and they still bog down Dogget and Reyes with Mulder talk, than that would be a real disservice to both of those actors preventing them from etching out their own role on the show.

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
Chad-
Please don't get me wrong. In no way would I mind the mention of Mulder every now and then in the show. I know he's important to Scully and while Scully's around, there will be a connection. Fair enough. It's just that it's being more than mentioned every now and then. In the conspiracy episodes (so far), Mulder's shadow seems to loom over every character and motivate every action (IMO).
My point is that my feeling from this show and it's creators is that if it had been Scully that left, it would've caused ripples, but it wouldn't have drowned the plot lines. She would have been sorely missed, but unlike the loss of the Mulder character, they would have gone on with just an occasional mention here and there. I just resent what I perceive as the inequality between the two characters. To Chris Carter and his writers, I believe that they have built Mulder into the God of this series, leaving Scully to be support. To my mind they are equal parts of this show, that without Scully there would have been no Mulder to deify.
Scully's been reduced to treading water; trapped in orbit around Mulder with nowhere to go. To me, this is an injustice to a character that had a lot of strength and purpose. It's also an injustice to saddle the two new characters, and the actors playing them, with this same burden. IMO, just get rid of Mulder once and for all and get back to making a good show.
P.S.- BTW, thanks for letting me rant, folks. :)

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
Chauncey_G,

Based on your reply, would I be correct in thinking that your reason for watching the show was based more on the characters (and their interactions) of Mulder and Scully than on the general premise of the show itself? If so, then I completely see where you're coming from.
Actually no. Originally I was interested in the show because it dealt with UFOs!! :b

I totally agree with you about Scully. Parden the old cliche but I think she was the yin to Mulder's yang. I would never diminish her in any way.

This is an interesting discussion.

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
Mike,
Can I ask what your opinion of the non-conspiracy episodes have been for this season? Like I said earlier, I have found them to be good, strong episodes.
I think it is partly my high opinion of these episodes that leads me to wonder why we need to keep focusing on Mulder's character in the conspiracy episodes. To me, it seems to muddy the waters. He's not in the show anymore, so honestly how much is he going to contribute to the ultimate solution of this problem? None. It's going to be Scully, Dogget and Reyes that solve it. Using Mulder as a deus ex machina that will, at times, hand down helpful hints or solutions from on high (like they did with the whole "Mulder ditched the train where he did because he knew that the exposed ore at that quarry would kill the super soldier" thing) seems to me to be like cheating. Letting go of Mulder and allowing the current characters to figure this stuff out for themselves would be much more satisfying, and make for better episodes.
Again, all IMO.
P.S.- You're right. This has been a good chat, hasn't it? :)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
To me, it seems to muddy the waters. He's not in the show anymore, so honestly how much is he going to contribute to the ultimate solution of this problem? None. It's going to be Scully, Dogget and Reyes that solve it.
Perhaps Carter's ultimate plan is to have all three agents leave the FBI and go to work for a private paranormal investigation firm where the mysterious Mulder will give them their instructions via e-mail or perhaps a distorted voice box each week with the leg work being done by the ever-trusty Skinner. They would probably change the title of the show to "Mulder's Angels" and have Doggett dress in drag, filling the Kate Jackson role. :)
Regards,

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
Chauncey_G,

I gave up on the show this year. I watched the season opener and that was it. I lurk around these threads to see what's going on.

I have seen every single episode otherwise.

So I can't comment on the non-conspiracy episodes for this season. But I will say that the show has gone to crap starting with season 6. The number of episodes I have enjoyed since season 6 could be counted on one hand.

There were some superb stand-alone episodes in seasons 1 through 5. But my main interest was always the mythology storyline.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i also think the whole conspiracy thing has got to go. either clean up the story line, or ace it.
i say let's have more spooky episodes! :)

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
Mike-
OK! I see where you're coming from now, and I can see why you'd had enough. I'm actually kind of on the same page you are, except that my enjoyment of the non-conspiracy (N.C.) episodes is such that I'm willing to keep watching. If I'd only been watching the conspiracy (C) episodes, I'd have shut it off, too. They're just not up to what they used to be. I think we differ on the following point, then: you see the C episodes as lacking because Mulder isn't around anymore, while I see the problem as they're not willing to let Mulder be gone. Does that sound right?
Here's my bottom line: IMO, the N.C. episodes have been good while the C episodes have not. What's the common denominator between all the N.C.'s? They can't let Mulder go. What's the common denominator between the C's? They barely even mention him. This is one big reason why I think them not letting Mulder go is the problem.
This Sunday's episode is N.C. If you're willing to take the risk, I don't suppose you'd entertain the idea of watching it so that I could hear your critique? The very fact that I've asked this means this next episode is going to be a world-class turd, of course. It'd be just my luck. :)
If you can't bring yourself to go near the TV, it's cool. I understand the N.C.'s haven't been your cup of tea, but I would like to hear your opinion on it if possible.
Ted-
By contrast, the big thing I'm waiting for is their first funny episode. You'll know the characters are starting to find their place when they give us a funny episode.

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
Hi Chauncey,

I may take you up on that. However...

I think all of the last 3+ seasons have stunk: Mulder or no Mulder, C or NC.

The failure of the C episodes has been that they have strung out the mythology too long and tied up loose threads poorly or not at all. I still don't understand what is happening with the colonization plotline.

The failure of the NC episodes has been that they have either resorted to too much comedy (season 6) or convuluted monster episodes (last season).

It boils down to this. The X-Files has gone on too long.

Having said that, I enjoyed 5 solid seasons of some of the best television drama ever.

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
I also gave up on the X-Files after the two-part season opener. It's just too boring and I hate the super-soldier plot.
It looks like the ratings are so bad this year that according to the official site's news page (http://www.thexfiles.com/news), it's being pre-empted the first three weeks in February. Hopefully now they will just end it before it gets even worse (if that's even possible).

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
What they need to do is finish off season 9. But Have it setup for the next movie in the last few episodes and end it there.

Michael Sliger

Second Unit
The February preemtions have nothing to do with the current ratings. The Winter Olympics are going on at that point and FOX has decided not to try to compete with it using new episodes. It is a typical pattern for broadcast networks.

John C

Stunt Coordinator
With all the doom and gloom foreshadowed in the show now (a supersoldier on every street corner) do any of you think the World Trade Center disaster will be incorporated into the storyline? With much of the FBIs focus on fighting terrorism currently, it would make for a poignant and interesting segue into different storylines. I mean, in a show set in present day, kind of hard to ignore such a catastrophic event.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks