What's new

"x"-element lenses. What are they? (1 Viewer)

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I've noticed a trend in the reduction in the number of elements in lenses for new RPTVs. For instance, last year's Elites used 5 element lenses- this year's 4.
So, what does this mean? What are they? And what do they have to do with picture quality?
I'm beginning to wonder if this isn't a cost-cutting measure, and performance degradation issues have been made up for in other areas.
Anyone?
Todd

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Generally speaking, the more lenses the better. Each lens allows you to refine the image a bit more.
I'm surprised that Pioneer would drop to 4-element lenses when Toshiba has gone from 5 to 6-element lenses in some of their Cinema Series (HX) models.
------------------
John Golitsis
Next Big Thing Electronics
[Edited last by JohnnyG on November 16, 2001 at 10:41 AM]

CaspianM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Moe
while a lot of times more elements is better, you do not want to get carried away by numbers.
Every single element added to the system brings unwanted side effects to the output. In fact, if one can design a single element lens system is much prefered due to less light loss, abberations and etc. But that is not the case in real life. So, the Pioneer actually might have refined the lens system with better elements in order to reduce unwanted side effects.
[Edited last by Mahmood M on November 16, 2001 at 11:34 AM]

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
I'm a bit out of my 'element' here, but I think it's pretty much impossible to design a single element lens for an RPTV. AFAIK, the way it works is that each element is responsible for focusing/magnifying one particular section of the screen. The more sections of the screen you can specifically address, the better.
All your points are basically true though, just nearly impossible to apply to something like an RPTV.
------------------
John Golitsis
Next Big Thing Electronics

CaspianM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Moe
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm a bit out of my 'element' here, but I think it's pretty much impossible to design a single element lens for an RPTV."
Yes it is . I said that too. I was talking theoretically.
"AFAIK, the way it works is that each element is responsible for focusing/magnifying one particular section of the screen. The more sections of the screen you can specifically address, the better."
That is not true. This is not a scheimpflug focus and/or electromagnetic focus. In fact they are only available in more expensive FP.
"All your points are basically true though, just nearly impossible to apply to something like an RPTV."
That is not true. Every thing I posted is about lens system used in RPTVs.
Recent lens design incorporate aspherical elements which reduces the need for more elements for uniform focus across the field particularly in extreme edges.
[Edited last by Mahmood M on November 18, 2001 at 03:05 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks