What's new

#*@X&$ !! daylight savings time got me again! (1 Viewer)

Blu

Screenwriter
What I don't get is that it seems that the majority of people don't like daylight saving time unless you play golf.

So lets put this issue to a vote once and for all to abolish it or keep it.

I hate giving up an hour of sleep and I'm usually happier on NORMAL time.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I would like to see a figure for the dollars that were spent by businesses in order to deal with this new DST date. The cost must be in the hundreds of millions of dollars in resources and time.

I work in IT for a large healthcare provider, and we had to test and patch about 5,000 desktop PC's and probably over 700 servers, network routers/switches and phone systems. And that does not even include all the clinical devices (lab instruments, MRI's, etc.) that had to be dealt with by clinical engineering.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, it's funny how they say that this new/earlier DTS date is supposed to help save energy costs, but as Scott mentioned, these costs were just offest (and probably bypassed) by the time it took to get everyone up to speed. :frowning:I would do anything to get rid of it. The only thing DST does for me is reminds me to change my car keys (BMW owners will know what I'm talking about). Other than that, it's useless.

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
I downloaded the MS patch yesterday and I guess it worked, my desktop had the correct time when I powered it up this morning. Now in addition to updating the clocks on my TV's I've set DST to off assuming if I left it on, the clocks with auto DST would Spring ahead in 3 weeks.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It seems the country didn't meltdown from the modified DST.

Thankfully my wife cares about time and calendars, so she got the clocks changed. I would have forgotten this year.

I grew up in IN, and lived in both the places with and without DST, so I gave up years ago figuring out what time it was :) Now I wait for my mom, and now my wife, to tell me to change the clocks.

Unlike most people, I like DST. I think we should be on it year 'round. I work during the day, so what do I care about having more sunlight in the morning. Give me an extra hour of sun in the evening! So, let's make DST "standard" and stick to it!

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Personally, I hate DST. That's because my front projection system is in the living room and I can only watch it at night (no I won't paint the windows black :) ). In the middle of summer, I have to wait until almost 10 PM to turn the damn thing on!

CRyan

Screenwriter
Yeah, I like it too!. I hate when I feel in the winter I am going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark. It is so nice to have the extra bit of daylight in the evening.

mylan

Screenwriter
Count me as one who enjoys DST once I get over the hour of sleep I lost. I work a 12 hour day and in the wintertime I see daylight very little unless I stare at it through the windows at work. I know that days get longer as the summer progresses anyway but I love the sunsets at 9:00 or later. I just "feel" that I have more time after work even though I really do not.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
OK, let me rephrase my response, it's not that I hate DST, it's that I hate changing clocks. I agree with DaveF, we should just use it year round.Yeah, WTF? I bought one of those analog clocks that automatically adjusts itself for DST. The reason I bought that clock is because I put it toward the ceiling in my garage and the only way to get to it is with a ladder. It was great having it adjust itself all the time, but it didn't do it last night.

So now I have a dilemma: Break out the ladder and manually adjust it ahead an hour, then (in 3 weeks) change it back because it will adjust itself, thinking it's the beginning of DST....or leave it an hour behind and wait 3 weeks for it to change.

I'll probably wait three weeks and hopefully not get confused about the time. :angry: F***in' DST Bitch!!!!

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
These Daylight Savings time changes are not causing nearly enough inconvenience or damage. Why don’t we move the Prime Meridian from Greenwich to Paris, which will put the entire planet on Daylight Savings time as well as screw up navigation for years?!? ;)

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I still think there should be just one time for the whole planet. Do away with DST & time zones all together! Then let every business, school, factory, etc. deiced when they want to be open.
Like when I moved from NJ (eastern time) to KY (central time) the tv shows are broadcast the same time 8:00 eastern / 7:00 central. The hour difference is caused by the time zone only. In NJ most businesses opened at 9:00am, here they open at 8:00am.
With the global economy, business that are in more than one time zone / country and all those who travel, it would make life much easier.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
That was always my gripe...Someone once told me that one of the reasons we don't observe DST all year round was because it gives more sunlight at the bus stops in the winter. I thought that was a stupid idea because if sunlight was an issue, why didn't the schools just open an hour later???

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
DST really fucked me in the ass this year. Totally forgot about it until last night, so I travelled from Albany back to Boston this morning on ~3 hours sleep. I've got quite a bit of work left to do tonight (so what am I doing on here, right? I wish I knew...) so tonight's not going to fare much better. By Thursday I should have my shit straightened out.

Me too. I'm a night owl, so I have my schedule designed so I never have to get up before 8 am. I never see that hour of sunlight in the morning, and I can really use it in the evening. This will by the first week since October that might evening commute will occur in daylight.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I've taken on a truly high-teck Zen philosophy towards DST...as long as my DVR adjusts itself automatically so that I don't miss American Idol, everything is okay with the world. :D

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
And when we finally had DST starting and ending on the same day of the year all over the world ..... the US decides to start it two weeks earlier this year.

And on a more arbitrary date (not "last weekend of the month") as well, which makes it less easy to "automate" in some more primitive systems.

Nice! :angry:

Cees

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
If the Japanese businessman calls the California businessman, it's still going to be during the day one place and the middle of the night in the other place, no matter what number you put on it. Or do you propose that people in some places ignore such trivialities as where the sun is when sleeping and doing business? And for the convenience and inconvenience of people where, exactly?

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I agree with Robert, unless the sun rose and set at the same time everywhere on Earth.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Well, we've always been contrary. :D

No metric system.
No Celsius.
Ongoing resistance to small-denomination coins vs. paper money.
Lack of any significant national public transit.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I'm glad we don't have to worry about that here. :)

Luckily, I noticed that "Dirt" moved up an hour earlier so I adjusted my DVD recorder. Our basic channel shows stay at the same times.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks