X-Box WWF Raw

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marshall Alsup, Jan 10, 2002.

1. Marshall Alsup

Marshall Alsup Second Unit

Hey guys,

I'm going to buy an X-Box in a couple days and I think I'm going to pick up PGR and Halo with it. One of the games I'm most excited about is WWF Raw.

I was wondering if any of you have heard much about this game. Specifically how it's controls will be set up. I played the THQ wrestling games on Nintendo 64 a lot. I thought they ruled and the best part about them was their control schemes, you know, one button for grapples and one button for punch/kick attacks.....

I haven't played the THQ wrestling games on PS but a friend of mine was telling me that they sucked compared to the N64 versions because their control wasn't as good and a few other problems.

I'll probably rent this when it comes out, but I thought I'd check in with you guys to see what you thought about it.

Marshall

2. Romier S

Romier S Producer

So far from what I have heard the game plays like a combination of the N64 games and the PS smackdown games. Not as slow as the N64 games but not arcade like the PS titles.
    I much prefer the grapple system of the N64 games developed by AKI as the Smackdown games just dont do it for me. Whats wierd is I get all psyched up about every Smackdown game and end up disappointed. I just dont like the arcade gameplay. From what I have seen of Raw I am very excited. The graphics are great (though the animation needs work) and it looks like the gameplay is coming along.
    IGN is doing RAW week for insiders. Recently they did a preview of the create-a-wrestler and it looks to be even deeper than the one in No Mercy (the best wrestling game ever IMHO).
    I was honestly much more excited about the Gamecube WWF game as I thought it would be develped by AKI. From what I hear though they are no longer devloping the title [​IMG].

3. John Cavacas

John Cavacas Agent

I too cannot wait till this title comes out. Go to www.gamespot.com in the Xbox section, and take a look at all the screenshots and movies that they have there. This game looks too darn good to pass.
    Not sure about controls and such, I haven't played a wrestling game sinse hmm..... SNS [​IMG]

4. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

Yeah, from what I've heard Anchor is using Aki's N64 games as their main inspiration so hopefully the control scheme on Raw will be good. It's just too bad Aki isn't doing any new wrestling games themselves.
    I hope Raw is good because I agree that the arcadey gameplay in the Smackdown games is a turn-off. And I think the lack of gimmickry in Raw is refreshing (although I've seen Smackdown fans hammer it for that). When I play the Aki games, I usually get bored with the story modes and gimmick matches quickly and just go back to typical one-on-one exhibition matches [​IMG]

5. Matthew_S

Matthew_S Second Unit

Has anyone seen this title yet? It's out tomorrow and looks promising...any reviews yet?

6. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Am I the only one who thought that the mechanics in WWF Warzone and Attitude were the best out there? I LIKE having to do something other than mash buttons. Those games played more like Tekken-Special moves that required strategy.

7. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

I liked the N64 game - don't really remember the title. Im not a hardcore wrestling fan like I was in the day of Hogan and Macho Man but I am looking forward to this title too. Im not sure of the modes, do you just try to win the belt - ala the N64 type game?

8. Andy Sheets

As far as modes, yeah, it's just a challenge mode like WCW/NWO Revenge on the N64. Which I don't mind, actually, since I prefer that method to the career/story modes that have been used in wrestling games since that game. I mean, I'd love it if someone could do a good career mode but all the ones I've played are underwhelming (no, I don't love being put into triple threat match after triple threat match [​IMG]) and I just end up going to back to one-on-one exhibition matches for my fun.
    There are a couple of reviews for RAW that are up so far, including IGN. The gist seems to be gameplay and graphics = excellent, options = very few. So people that love cage and ladder matches and such will probably want to stick with Smackdown! while people that liked the N64 games' gameplay will probably have more of an appreciation for it (at least I think so. If I can get a copy tomorrow I'll see for myself).

9. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

How does it compare to the New Japan series of wrestling games? Those are truely the finest wrestling titles ever made. Deep, deep control schemes.

10. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

I'll probably give it a rent, but I think I'll hold off buying a wrestling game until Wrestlemania X8 comes out for the Gamecube.

I suspect the graphics and gameplay will be good on both titles, but X8 looks to have more gameplay modes and wrestlers from the WWF, WCW, and ECW.

11. Romier S

Romier S Producer

I'll be picking my copy up early (it ships the 12th should be in stores the 13th) Wednesday morning from EB. I'll have a full review up for the game on the forum for anyone that is interested.

12. Marshall Alsup

Marshall Alsup Second Unit

Man, sounds better and better. I'm really glad to hear that the control scheme will be like the N64!!!
    I agree that the movies on www.gamespot.com make this game look super realistic.
    I cant wait
    Marshall

13. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Speaking of Gamespot, they've rated it a 6.5 in their review. I didn't read the article yet, as wrestling games don't do it for me.
    -Dan

14. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Gamespot gave it a 6.5. IGN gave it a 9.1. I ususally take an average of both to decide if the game is worth it. Both sites agree that the game plays great but it has a serious lack of modes.

I'm prepared for the lack of modes and I really dont mind. I spent 9 months playing WWF Wrestlemania 2000 and that game lacked some serious play options as well.

From what I've seen the ability to finally "throw" people through tables (even from the top of the stage!!), the huge amount of weapons, and the indepth creat-a-wrestler should keep me busy for awhile.

From there we gets to wait for Wrestlemania X-8 on the Cube...

15. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit

I'm beginning to think that Gamespot's Xbox reviews are a little overly critical. Not biased, but perhaps they're just demanding too much, and are out of touch with what players think. I just took a quick sample of review scores for games on the PS2 and Xbox that were considered flawed by Gamespot, along with the accompanying reader average score, and then averaged the difference between these two scores among the games listed.
    Game Title, Gamespot score (Reader score)
    PS2
    The Bouncer: 6.7 (8.0)
    0 Story: 5.8 (6.0)
    Dark Summit: 7.8 (5.9)
    DoA2 Hardcore: 8.9 (8.8)
    Dynasty Warriors 2: 7.8 (9.1)
    Eternal Ring: 6.3 (6.9)
    Extermination: 7.1 (8.0)
    Fantavision: 6.6 (6.2)
    Gauntlet Dark Legacy: 6.2 (8.5)
    Kengo Master of Bushido: 5.9 (7.9)
    Maximo Ghosts to Glory: 7.9 (7.2)
    Oni: 7.1 (7.0)
    Orphen: 6.7 (6.8)
    Unreal Tournament: 8.2 (8.0)
    Zone of the Enders: 7.4 (8.6)
    Xbox
    Air Force Delta Storm 6.8 (7.5)
    Amped 6.7 (8.7)
    Azurik 5.0 (7.6)
    Dark Summit 7.1 (6.4)
    Dead or Alive 3 7.9 (8.5)
    Fuzion Frenzy 6.7 (7.3)
    NBA Inside Drive 6.2 (8.2)
    Nightcaster 6.8 (7.1)
    Munch's Oddyssee 7.9 (8.5)
    Project Gotham Racing 8.1 (8.6)
    Silent Hill 2 7.9 (7.6)
    Star Wars Starfighter 7.2 (6.7)
    Star Wars Obi-Wan 4.6 (7.2)
    Tony Hawk 2x 7.7 (8.0)
    Transworld Surf 8.0 (8.3)
    Wreckless 6.8 (7.6)
    For the Playstation 2, readers scored the games listed an average of 0.37 points higher than Gamespot. 2 games of the 15 sampled (Gauntlet and Kengo) had an average reader score at least 2 points higher than Gamespot's, and 5 were rated at least 1 point higher. The average discrepency between the scores was 0.89 points. The average reader score was 7.636.
    On the Xbox, readers scored the games listed an average of 0.78 higher than Gamespot. 4 games (Obi-Wan, Inside Drive, Amped, Azurik) were scored at least 2 points higher by readers than by Gamespot. The average discrepency was 0.9625 points. The average reader score was 7.738.
    This wasn't scientific by any means, but I think the results are interesting. Since the reader reviews for Xbox games are submitted from the same readership that submits reviews for PS2 games (the reader average was roughly equal), it seems as if Gamespot is a bit harsher when scoring Xbox titles than PS2.
    Given that, I think bumping up a Gamespot score by a bit if you like the Xbox's controller (and can stomach games that don't always offer the infinite playability the Xbox was supposed to have) may be more representative of the actual game.

16. Masood Ali

On the contrary, IGN is being much to eager to hand out high scores for average games, while Gamespot is taking an approach similar to that of my favorite (now dead) print mag, Next Generation.

For a second, lets consider what games, on a 10 point scale, deserve a perfect 10. For most publications, one popular benchmark was Mario 64 for the Nintendo 64. If that is the high-water mark, then any game with a 9+ rating should be considered an time-honored great. But IGN Xbox proved yet again that their ratings are less critical and more "fanboy-ish" than Gamespot's opinion when Wreckless was released.

Looking at Wreckless, excellent in terms of graphics but average in terms of gameplay, IGN put the game in the same plateau as FFX, MGS2, Halo, and GTA3, when the game was simply not worthy. The game was average or above-average overall (7-8 points), but definitely not a classic.

As far as reader reviews go, I don't pay attention to them because of the inherent bias that comes with purchasing a video game and justifying that purchase to yourself. That bias, also known as the "fanboy bias", is much stronger than any bias a unified multiplatform video game site has, such as Gamespot. And while I don't doubt that some reviewers do give unbiased opinions, a majority do NOT.

However, since IGN isn't unified, meaning a dedicated set of editors for each platform, they again have some fanboy bias in them.

17. paul h

paul h Supporting Actor

I find Gamespot to be harsh yes but pretty much spot on, which i appreciate especially when you're shelling out $50 for a game. WWF Raw looks great as does Wreckless but its the gameplay that counts and if that's lacking then they have every right to score them in the 6's.
    In fact dont bother buying RAW just pick up a Dreamcast and UFC!!! Here's a link to Gamespot's review of UFC, still one of the best fighters i've ever played...
    http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters...199150,00.html

18. Matthew_S

Matthew_S Second Unit

Damn! I have three xbox games and am looking for a good one to get. Every review of new games that i would be interested in (sports & strategy/action for the most part) suck! When will the next great xbox game be released?!

19. Andy Sheets

Personally, I generally agree with the assessment that IGN tends to be too exhuberant about some games, but Gamespot in turn tends to be a bit too harsh. I first learned to not trust IGN's reviews when Shadowman came out on N64. It wasn't a bad game but wasn't deserving of all the gushing the I recall the site doing over it. As for Gamespot, best example I can think of is the recent NBA Inside Drive review, which was the whiniest thing I think I've ever seen on that site. Just a remarkably poor review that somehow managed to not even mention the coaching aspect of the game, which is critical for playing on the higher difficulty settings. So, basically, I don't mind reading reviews from either site, but when it comes down to making assessments on games, the only opinion I trust is my own.

20. Masood Ali

Even so, remember that it's always best to promise less and deliver more. That's what Gamespot does.

The opposite, what IGN does, usually results in somebody getting mad at both the game and the review, followed shortly by the gamer returning the game.