What's new

X-box won't power up (1 Viewer)

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Picked up an X-box last Friday and it played fine till today. For whatever reason, it will not show any sign of life.

My son left it powered up over night and when I left this morning, it was a little loud. I thought, maybe a fan was working to cool it down and I left for work. When my son got to it this afternoon, he decided to move the unit to the den as he had a buddy with him. He powered it down, moved it, then tried to power it up but got nothing. So thats where we are at... A dead X-box.

The place I bought it from says they'll replace it with a new unit but we'll have to wait 1-2 weeks for more units. I can deal with that, however, there is a disc in the unit, you got it, Halo. And it wasn't purchased from the merchant who sold me the box. SOOOoooo how do I get the prized Halo out of the dead X-box? Anyone got any ideas?

Matty B

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't seen the Xbox, but it MIGHT have a release hole on the front of the CD-ROM. it will be a SMALL paper clip sized hole, put a paper clip in it and BAM the drive will open up. If that doesn't work. Take out the Torx screws on the bottom of the Xbox and open up the DVD-ROM. Then open the top of the DVD-ROM and remove Halo.

On a side note, where did you look that didn't have X-Boxen? The K-mart near me had 3, and like 10 Gamecubes, about 5 PS2s.

Now HYPOTHETICALLY you could go to K-Mart, buy another one, and return it DOA. But that's just hypothetically. Someone without patience such as myself would do that. Microsoft is gonna have to eat that Xbox anyway who does it matter who does the return? It would be easier for K-Mart who does billions of dollars worth of business a year (Or hundreds of millions)

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Now HYPOTHETICALLY you could go to K-Mart, buy another one, and return it DOA.
Nice idea but each Xbox unit has a unique number and barcode on the bottom. That same number generally prints on retailer receipts. If the numbers don't match at the point of refund the transaction usually ends in a decline.

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Matty B... It does have the small hole and I suspected it should open like you said. However, I couldn't locate a paper clip, just a piece of wire not rigid enough to do the job. I'll grab some paper clips on the way home from work and see if they do the trick. Hope so.
The unit came from an Electronics Boutique. Once I can get Halo out then I'll pressure them to exchange the unit. That would be frustrating to wait a couple weeks for another. I'll camp outside their door and wait for a delivery if I have to:).
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll post my results.

Joe michaels

Second Unit
Dumb question but make sure the power cord is plugged in all the way. The power cord on my unit doesn't seem to fit that well and it seems like it could not go in all the way.

Joe michaels

Second Unit
One more thing, I don't know how the Serial # is listed on teh XBOX, I'm not looking at it now, but the Ps2 just has a sticker that's real easy to peel off.

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
I wouldn't go and open it up to get your disc out. Two of the screws are underneath stickers on the bottom. I highly doubt that the stickers will stick back on properly once they've been peeled off.

If stores suspect anything, you can forget about exchanging it for a new one, as you will have voided your warrenty.

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Awright!!! The paper clip did the trick. It needed to go in about 3 inches, and fumbled about a bit, then the tray popped open and I retrieved the Halo disc.

My wife spoke with the EB manager today, and he assured her that we were tops on his list. So, being as we found it last Friday maybe we'll get a replacement as soon as tomorrow.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

MikeRa

Auditioning
The XBOX has a auto shut off feature that will power down the unit after 6 hours of no play. Have you called support? Good luck.

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
OK, my troubles have been resolved. EB replaced the unit with a brand new one built 11/23/01. That should be the end of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks