X-BOX Widescreen and Hi-Def games

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sebastien R, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Sebastien R

Sebastien R Extra

Ok first question: If I have an XBOX hooked up with component cables on a 4:3 HD set with the squeeze functions will I be able to play widescreen compatible games if I put the display of the XBOX on 16:9 and switch the squeeze functions on in the TV menu?

Q.#2: From what I hear the monster component and the HD box give you the choice between three displays choices (480p, 720p and 1080i) Can you play any games in 480p or must it be compatible for example if you look on the back of the splinter cell case you can see that there's no check mark in the little box beside 480p. And if you look at the back of the new Unreal game it says HDTV compatible so does it mean that the game will be display in full HD resolution. It really confuses me because I did not think that HD games could be read on today's consoles or even be put on DVD since we have for the next generation DVD for HD movies.

2. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

Answer to the first question is a definite "yes". Though I don't have an HD set, my VVega (KV-36FS12, if you're curious) can tackle the 16x9 mode, and I have my XBox set to 16x9 mode.

There are a handful of games in 720p and 1080i for the XBox. Dragon's Lair is the only 1080i game out at the moment, I believe. NBA2K3, Street Hoops, and Tony Hawk 4 are 720p. Perhaps there are others as well...a search on the HTF may turn up more.

The great majority of XBox games have a 480p mode, though a few scattered titles don't, for whatever reason. As far as text on the boxes go, some publishers equate "480p/16x9" with HD. If you want to be sure, consult this thread.

BTW, you don't need to plunk down the cash for the Monster HD set unless you're really interested. The Monster cables require a proprietary optical cable if you want to play in DD 5.1 as well.

3. Oscar Saenz

Oscar Saenz Stunt Coordinator

Adam, I'm in the same boat as Sebastien - I have my Xbox connected to my 32" XBR450 via component cables but I have my Xbox set on 4:3. Should I really have it set on 16X9? My games look fine with the 4:3 setting. Dragons Lair is the only game I own that sets my TV in a widescreen setting without me having to make any other settings on my TV. Am I missing something with the 4:3 setting?

My Pioneer Progressive Scan DVD player is setup with 16X9 and I know to manually (automatic detection is deactivated when it senses a progressive signal) switch my TV to the squeeze mode because the back of the DVD states "enhanced for 16X9". Plus the picture looks distorted if I don't make the switch. If I set my Xbox to 16X9, how would I know when to make the manual switch since the games don't necessarily indicate this feature on their back cover? I'm assuming I would have to manually turn the setting on my TV as the games output a progressive signal - I know that the Xbox does not output a progressive signal with regular DVDs.

I thought I understood all this stuff...[​IMG]

4. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

As for whether or not you should have it set to 16x9 for a 4x3 set...I dunno, I guess that's personal preference. I like the way 16x9 games look on my set...the scanlines are closer together (apologies if I'm not using the terminology correctly), making it look a little crisper. (Edit: just to make it clearer, after reading Carlo's post, I only play 16x9 games in 16x9 mode.)

If you're playing a game with a 720p mode like NBA2K3, I don't know if the XBox requires 16x9 to be selected or not.

As far as knowing when to manually activate 16x9...I dunno. I've always known in advance if a game I'm buying has a 16x9 mode, so I've never had to rely on going by the visuals. There tend to be some heated debates in the 16x9/480p gaming thread, seeming to indicate that it's not always that easy to determine.

5. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I would recommend putting it on 16x9 ***only*** if the game supports 16x9. Putting a 4x3 game on 16x9 would make it stretchy, and wouldn't make sense on a 4x3 set. Play native 4x3 games in that mode on your set, and play 16x9 in squeeze mode. In games like NCAA and Madden Football, it actually adds more real estate to the left and right, and thus makes it a bit easier to play. I think DOA3 also adds more real estate.

Just my thoughts. I play everything on 16x9 since I own a 16x9 HDTV, and pretty much all of my games are 16x9, and the ones that aren't don't bother me with the horizontal stretch. YMMV

6. Oscar Saenz

Oscar Saenz Stunt Coordinator