X-box vs. PS2-which should I buy?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marty Lockstead, Jun 24, 2002.

1. Marty Lockstead

Marty Lockstead Second Unit

Hello everybody!
    I would appreciate some feedback on this much-debated topic please. I'm sure there have been some threads about this already, but I coudn't find any older ones. Anyway, here's my dilemma:I bought a Gamecube in April and AGENT UNDER FIRE. I enjoy playing it but, after the price drops, am quite interested in buying another system. I'm pretty picky about games I like however, mostly just first-person shooters and the occasional racing one. At the moment I have my eyes on MEDAL OF HONOR:FRONTLINE and GRAND THEFT AUTO 3 for the PS2, or HALO on the X-box. The PS2 has more games to choose from, while the X-BOX has progressive-scan capable games as well as the internal hard-drive. I also use component cables for my Cube and would definately by them for whichever system I decide on. Opinions please? [​IMG]

2. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I have a GCN and PS2. While I love them both as soon as Toejam and Earl 3 comes out it's going to be hard not to get an Xbox, plus I'd really like to play Halo. So to make a long story short just be all three. [​IMG]
    -Andre F

3. Marty Lockstead

Well Andre,
    I wish I could. But not on my wages I'm afraid.

4. Bill Crosthwait

Bill Crosthwait Second Unit

Marty,
    I have a PS2 and XBox...I recommend getting the XBox now and geting the PS2 a little later. To me, the Xbox has better games, better graphics, and better sound. Once you play Halo you will be sold.

Bill

5. ChrisV

ChrisV Second Unit

I have both and would highly recommend either one, but if you like racers and fps games then I'd go with the Xbox. Although there are games of both types on the PS2, games like Halo and Rallisport Challenge are just wicked on the Xbox. Halo is by far my favorite console fps. The graphics and 5.1 sound on the Xbox make it a step above the rest. That being said, we won't be seeing a GTA game on it anytime soon, so once again I guess it comes down to which games you want to play right now. If you do go with the Xbox you should definitely rent a PS2 and GTA3, that's a game that shouldn't be missed.

6. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

After having a GameCube since Christmas, I decided with the recent pricecuts it was time to upgrade my PS1 to a PS2. I'm glad I did. So far, I'm just playing FFX, but plan on picking up Gran Turismo 3 and Grand Theft Auto 3 soon.

Besides Halo, I really haven't seen anything for the XBox that makes me want to get it. I think the quality of the game is more important than the presentation.

7. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

PS2 has a larger library and it will be harder to find some of its classic games sooner than those for the XB. Go for the PS2.

8. Marty Lockstead

Thanks for the opinions folks! Please keep them coming.[​IMG]

9. David Scott

David Scott Stunt Coordinator

Sure the PS2 has more games, but I'd go for the x-box. Halo is plain awesome, and if you have surround sound you'll be living in dolby digital bliss. Both consoles have some great games coming between now and christmas. Medal of Honor Frontline will be coming to the x-box shortly, however Sony has the rights to GTA3 series for a while. My roomate and brother both have PS2's and all we've been doing is playing Halo and Rallisport on the x-box...my brother keeps saying "I knew I should of got the x-box instead". Either way I think both have great games so you can't go wrong.

10. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    I would go with the X-Box also. About the only games you will miss out on are PS2 exclusives like The Final Fantasy Series and Metal Gear Solid II. It seems like a game is first released for the PS2, then a few months later released on the X-Box with better graphics and 5.1 sound. If you do get an X-Box, definitely check out Max Payne, the 5.1 sound is awesome.

11. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

If your interest is in first-person shooters, then I would also have to say the X-Box, despite it being the only console since about the Playstation that I don't have myself. Its not just that Halo is as good as people say it is, but that frankly the only other time I've liked an FPS on a console was Goldeneye, and you didn't say you were interested in buying an N64 (fairly understandably).

As for the issue of driving games, there are about 14 metric tons of them coming to every platform, so you should be getting something good no matter where you go. For looks in the future, Auto Modellista will be coming to both PS2 and Gamecube so you'll be safe with your Cube (assuming that the gameplay matches the graphics, which E3 reports have cast doubt on). Also, your nomination of GTA3 isn't really either a racer (the car handling is very much designed for laughs and crashes rather than racing) or an FPS (the shooting is an absolute nightmare on the PS2 release, so I just tempt people into the street where I can run them down). In terms of strict driving game then, the PS2 has GT3 (great to drive but the other cars might as well not be there), the X-Box has Project Gotham (tons of tracks, but they are all city-based, and the Kudos scoring system is a select taste). However, with Burnout on everything (and many reports saying the Gamecube is the best version) and Colin McCrae coming soon to both (if memory serves), I don't think you should be disappointed with either platform.

12. Jerry Gracia

Jerry Gracia Supporting Actor

PlayStation 2 is the sure bet right now.
    I also own the XBOX, which is a great system, too! I'd recommend both, but if you can only have one...I say go with PS2...its the better choice in overall value, IMO.

13. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

14. David Scott

David Scott Stunt Coordinator

TimeSplitters 2 is also coming to the x-box, and who knows how long and how much it will cost before PS2 goes online. X-box will be online very soon and for $49 for the year (includes a game). Halo Next will be out by next christmas, but there will be plenty of FPS coming out between now and then.

15. BrianB

BrianB Producer

16. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

And $40 for the network adapter.

17. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

18. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Ahh...so instead of waiting 6 months for the sequel to the best game of 2001, and thus balancing out the game lineups of the PS2 and X-Box, we have to wait 18 months.

19. Raymond_H

Raymond_H Stunt Coordinator

Hey,

I own both, I bought the X-Box at launch and purchased the PS2 when the price break happened.

I think you should research the software for the systems, and also your budget.

The PS2 has an incredible libary of games (including PS1 games) and some bargain games $19.99 for Gran Turismo, Tekken Tag, Twisted Metal, etc....

But also you would have to buy at least 1 memory card ($24.99) a multi-tap if playing with more then 2 players.

With the X-Box, you don't have a great selection of games, but you can be stuck with a couple that suck your life away. Halo and Morrowind can have you playing your X-Box til Thanksgiving.

The games are all mostly $49.99 and you need to pay for the remote for DVD playback. No need for the memory card.

I choosed the X-Box first for me because of the capabilities for my home-theater. Halo in widescreen, and in 5.1 is incredible. The graphics look overall smoother then the PS2. I knew the online capabilities would be far superior then the PS2.

I would also do some research on the upcoming games for both systems. To see which system games are meeting your perference.

Ray

20. Romier S

Romier S Producer