X Box ?'s

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by MarkWC, Oct 24, 2004.

1. MarkWC

MarkWC Stunt Coordinator

I am having the wife pick me up an XBox while in NH since Bermuda sells them for $300 still.

I need help with two areas:
    1) which type of wireless controller should I get? I sold my PS2 yesterday and the Mad Catz Wireless was great but the XBox controllers seem so big and bulky so the smaller version would probably be a better fit for my taste.
    2) I am looking at Monster Cables, but the component version (Series 400??) has analog audio cables built in. Is there a version like the PS2 with just component video and get the digital optical seperately? I still have the monster optical for the ps2 so can I buy just the adapter for the screwy audio jack?

Mauch appreciated - C

2. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

1. Logitech, all the way. Make sure it is the newer $49.99 version which looks more like the xbox type-s controller. They corrected the problem with the D-pad, which makes this controller almost perfect.

2. I've never seen anyone buy the little dongle for the XBOX Monster stuff by itself, so you may have to buy both. The Series 400 is the only one produced and it does have analog audio, but it can still do digital with the xbox optical.

3. ZoranM

ZoranM Stunt Coordinator

To add to the last post. You mentioned wireless controllers, I don't know how far you are from your xbox to your playing area, but if you want to use xbox live you might want to consider also picking up an extension cable for the regular controller since most wireless controllers can't use the headset for XBL. The extension cables are only 5 bucks.

I use my wireles logitech (which are excellent by the way) for regular gaming and then I just plug in the regular controller (which already has a 9 foot cable on it) with a 6 foot extension cable and I'm able to play on XBL with no problems on my FPJ.

Anyway just a suggestion.

Cheers,

Zoran

4. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

Logitech has a wireless headset coming out very soon, but it costs $79 for the headset alone. Pretty pricey.

And there is another company, cant remember who, who has a bluetooth headset/controller wireless combo. The set goes for $99, but I dont know how reliable it is.

5. BradleyS.

BradleyS. Stunt Coordinator

I second the conroller extensions. I bought 2 seven foot extensions on ebay for 5 bucks. Dont have to worry about running down the batteries either. I also highly recommend the monster cables. They do have analog sound but can be digital with the lightwave? 100 optical cable. I noticed a large improvement with video quality on my 57 inch HDTV.

6. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Another vote here for the Logitech, at least if Xbox Live communication is not an issue.

7. MarkWC

MarkWC Stunt Coordinator

I'm not too interested in XBox Live for now, give me a couple of months to get familiar with the system and games and then maybe I will. I went the extension cable route with the PS2 but wrapping/unwrapping it was a pain so I opted for wireless. I sit about 12' away but the controller cables are routed behind the entertainment so I needed 2 for the sony.

So Logitech seems to be a fav for wireless...how many people use the Microsoft HD Pack and are happy with it?

8. ZoranM

ZoranM Stunt Coordinator

I borrowed a friends Mad catz HD pack and liked it on my FPJ, but I found the MS HD pack on sale so I picked it up instead. That was almost a year ago now and haven't regretted it at all. we did a comparison between the mad catz and the MS pack and didn't see any difference (I have 2 xboxes connected to my FPJ).

So I went and bought a second MS HD pack for my second xbox. I should mention though that I did notice a slight (and I mean slight) improvement in PQ between the stock MS cables and some good RG6 cables I had substituted with the pack.

cheers,

Zoran

9. MarkWC

MarkWC Stunt Coordinator

The cost between the Microsoft HD Pack w/ upgraded AR Cables and Monster Cable set was under $20 so I am going with Monster Game for piece of mind.

How do I know if I am ordering the older or newer Microsoft Controller? I am having my wife pick it up from Gamestop in NH and want the right one.

I guess I will probably pick up XBox Live Headset and in December when the system is broken in - hopefully the wireless headsets will be reasonably priced.

Thanks for your help.

-C