X-Box overheating???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Cole, Dec 17, 2001.

1. Paul Cole

Paul Cole Agent

Anyone having a problem with the Box overheating?

This weekend, two of my buddies were telling me that the Box runs red hot and is having a problem with overheating. This was news to me since I read this board every day and haven't seen anything posted about this.

Both of these guys build computers for a living and are big Microsoft fans...by saying this I mean they are NOT looking to bash. Both want to buy the Box.

Meanwhile, my Boxen is wrapped nice and sitting under the tree...I'm starting to get a sick feeling.

I think a lot of the Boxen are un-accounted for (X-Mas gifts). If there are problems with the Box, then exchanging them after Christmas might be harder than getting one at launch....There is that sick feeling again.

2. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

News to me. When I got mine hooked up I played it for damn near the entire day. After I was done, I put my hand on the console to see how hot it was running, expecting to feel at least a little warmth coming from it. Instead, I was surprised to feel that it was just as cool after so much play as when I first unwrapped it. When it comes to temperature it's probably the most well designed system I've owned.

3. Bill Gato

Bill Gato Stunt Coordinator

I can definitely report that I have no overheating problems on my unit. After running my XBox for about five hours straight (a couple of DVDs and videogames), I felt no problems with overheating.

It is my guess that your friend has a defective unit as I have heard that a substantial reason for the XBox's weight is that it is built to cool off the graphics and computer chip that reside inside.

Have him exchange it for another and give yours a chance before worrying too much.

4. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Second Unit

5. Jason Handy

Jason Handy Second Unit

Of course, it is possible to make anything overheat with enough effort [​IMG]

6. Prentice Cotham

Prentice Cotham Supporting Actor

Do your friends listen to Howard in the morning? Howard was talking about the Xbox and some PS2 fanboy calls in saying that the XBox is overheating all over the place. Now Howard believed the caller so in the same breath as Xbox he often would mention the overheating issue. That's how it got started I would imagine.

7. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

While the air that the fan blows out of the Xbox is quite warm, it's nothing that is near extremely hot or cause overheating.

It must have just been a rumour that your friends heard.

8. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Yeah, there are always rumors flying around MS products.
    One I heard was this:
    XBox uses both Seagate and Western Digital to make their 8GB hard drives. A friend (who admittedly hates all things Microsoft) says that he read an article "somewhere" that a videogame site opened up XBoxes with WD HDs and found that some were only 4GB. Meanwhile the Seagate ones were coming in at 8GB.
    Like I said, I'm pretty sure this is just anti-MS propaganda, but has anyone heard this rumor?
    I'm a PC builder (amateur but getting better). I know which one (Seagate or WD) I'd rather put in my PC, but that shouldn't affect the physical size of the XBox HDs.
    I wonder, if I decide to go with an XBox, if I can specifically request one with a Seagate HD? [​IMG]

9. Prentice Cotham

Aren't they putting Maxtor drives in the HD as well. Maxtor owns Seagate now.

10. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Are you sure Maxtor owns Seagate?

I thought Maxtor owned Quantum. I recently bought a Maxtor drive for my girlfriend's PC and found a Quantum fireball plus inside, with an explanation as to why there was a Quantum drive in there (they acquired the company).

Or have they in fact bought Seagate as well?

11. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

I read that there were 2 hard drive sizes used, but they were 8 gig and 10 gig. However, only 8 of the 10 gig was usable. I find it very hard to believe that MS would surreptiously try to slip 4 gig drives in when they are advertising 8. I'll try to find the link where I read about the two sizes.

12. Jason Handy

Jason Handy Second Unit

13. BrianB

BrianB Producer

14. Kip

Kip Stunt Coordinator

15. Paul Cole

Paul Cole Agent

Thanks guy's

And yes....they both listen to Howard. I no longer listen to his boring ass since O&A came back to NY. Feel much better now.

16. Trevor_J

Trevor_J Second Unit

I've played my XBOX for hours (8 straight at one point) with no overheating problems. I know of a couple of people that own Xboxen and they also report no problems. The only worrying you need to do is when will you get to enjoy Halo.

17. Prentice Cotham

Carlos,

My friend told me about Maxtor buying Seagate and he's nearly always 100% right. It's part of his occupation to know things like that.