What's new

X-Box loses another exclusive (1 Viewer)

Camp

Senior HTF Member
You calling my statement crap when it is true is just as inflammatory as Morgan's thread title.
Yes. However, I intended my response to be inflammatory.

Marvin's post (right above this one) sums up my thoughts as well.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
The funny thing is that 'Super Monkey Ball' for Gamecube is clearly labeled as 'Only For' on the front of the box (yet Sega announced it for PS2 a couple of months ago), yet 'Shrek' is not labeled as 'Only On Xbox'.
If anything, the fanboys should be bashing Nintendo. But it doesn't fit their agenda.
I've got both systems, and am consistently embarassed by the behavior of many Nintendo-worshipping fanboys. In fact, I sometimes don't mention to people that I have a Gamecube for that very reason.
Your post is just as bad as Morgan's...and I'm definitely not one to come to his defense. His anti-Xbox comments get on even a devout GC fans nerves.
I'll agree with that. But the new incendiary posts (either starting a new thread, or hijacking another one) are almost always started by Microsoft-bashers (and sometimes Sega-bashers). At least it seems the anti-Nintendo posts are retorts. Let's get rid of the flamebaiting threads, then the whole problem will go away.
Here's a hint. If you expect to get flamed when you start a thread, maybe the thread isn't really needed. People who are into that kind of thing are probably over at Cloudchaser and IGN.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I didn't know that Super Monkey Ball had the "Only on GameCube" thing on the cover. When that was announced for PS2, was there not a thread made?

It seems like anti-Nintendo and anti-Sony are OK, but not anti-Microsoft. Is it because people are tired of hearing it? Maybe, but there might be a reason they hear it so much other than people not liking MS, the XB, or their strategy.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
It seems like anti-Nintendo and anti-Sony are OK, but not anti-Microsoft. Is it because people are tired of hearing it? Maybe, but there might be a reason they hear it so much other than people not liking MS, the XB, or their strategy.
Morgan,
I'm sure if somebody started some anti-Nintendo or anti-Sony flamebait thread it would have the same effect.
I'm not sure what you are getting at.
:rolleyes

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
First of all, I'm not anti-MS. I don't agree with some of their decisions with the X-Box, but I also want my PS2 to have a better video output and want 5.1 out of my GameCube. I want an X-Box, but right now, nothing on it (and I mean nothing) appeals to me. Until next spring/summer, nothing will, AFAIK.

The thread that was made about Super Monkey Ball wasn't made the same as mine and didn't start the same, but it still had the same idea, without being so blatant. If I had said "Shrek announced for GameCube" instead, everyone would know that the X-Box just lost what was an exclusive without me having to say it.

No offense, but can't you all find something better to do than complain about what I think or say? Why not post in another thread and contribute to the conversation instead of sit here and point out every thing I've done wrong in my thread?

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
If I had said "Shrek announced for GameCube" instead, everyone would know that the X-Box just lost what was an exclusive without me having to say it.

Morgan,

I'll say this again-Shrek doesn't have "Only on XBox" on it, so as of the release date, it's not an XBox console exclusive and so if you wrote a thread saying "Shrek announced for the Gamecube", I'd pass it over.

Now, if you said "Halo announced for the PS2", that would be something COMPLETELY different.

And just to clear things up-saying "Halo announced for the PC and Mac" doesn't constitue a change in Halo's exclusitivity since the "Only on..." really represents its console status. It's well known, and stated by Bungie on their own web site in BIG LETTERS that Halo will be coming for PC and Mac.

Get it?

Mike

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I do. But as of the time when it was published, Shrek was only on the X-Box. Not being announced for another console or platform makes it an unofficial exclusive.

I was unaware of the lack of an "ONLY ON" logo on Shrek's cover. So what.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I was unaware of the lack of an "ONLY ON" logo on Shrek's cover. So what.

I think having that knowledge would have kept this thread from surfacing in the first place.

So it was an exclusive 6 months ago. Big deal. Things change all the time. All that matters is what happens on the RELEASE DATE.

Mike

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
As of its initial release, it was an unofficial X-Box exclusive. Considering that, the fact that it was announced for the GameCube can be considered a loss of an exclusive for the X-Box.

If you get technical about it, then it never was an exclusive.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
As of its initial release, it was an unofficial X-Box exclusive.

STOP IT!!

It didn't say "Only on XBox". END OF STORY!

Why must you troll these threads stirring up trouble? What the hell is an "unofficial exclusive title"? It either has the "Only on XBox" badge or it doesn't.

It didn't.

You are SO close to my ignore filter.

Mike

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Well, on the DVD that came inside the first issue of "Official Xbox Magazine", at the head-end of the preview for Shrek, it clearly states, "Only for Xbox". So, at some point in time, somebody in Microsoft's marketing depeartment must have THOUGHT this was an exclusive. Cel Damage is another title that quietly went from "exclusive" to not.
Personally, I could care less about the whole thing. When all is said and done, the best version of these games will live on the Xbox. Unfortunately, they are both pretty awful to begin with... but that's ANOTHER story! ;)
Gary

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
Personally, I could care less about the whole thing. When all is said and done, the best version of these games will live on the Xbox. Unfortunately, they are both pretty awful to begin with... but that's ANOTHER story!
Gary, I agree with you about the being awful part - ( although Cel Damage does look pretty), but I don't neccessarily agree with you that the best versions of those games, as well as any other multiplatform game releases,will be on the XBox.
I would,however,say that thepotential for said games to be the best on the XBox would be right.
That big monolith has some horses :)
And, I say again..... I'm not bashing the big box. Hopefully very soon I'll have one, I want Halo badly. I just tend to try to look at the bigger picture.
Calvin

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Mike-

I am close to your ignore filter just because of what I said on one thread?

Anyway, as of its release on X-Box, it was not announced for any other console and was not in development for any other console, so it was pretty much an unofficial X-Box exclusive. It didn't have the "only on" label, but it wasn't on any other console.

How many PC games have a "only on PC" label? It doesn't need it to be exclusive.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Calvin, yes. Point well taken. The POTENTIAL for these games to be better on the Xbox is certainly there. At the moment tho, the slipshod way games are being ported from one platform to another, all bets are off...

Gary

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Morgan,

No, not for one thread. Pretty much anything you write has some kind of anti-XBox slant to it.

Do you have definitive inside information that it wasn't in development on any other console? THink about it...it takes MONTHS to put a game together. You think that all of a sudden the code for Shrek on another console fell from the sky?

Please THINK before you write.

Mike

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Cel Damage is another title that quietly went from "exclusive" to not.
It wasn't quietly at all. Microsoft dropped them as an independent developer as they didn't want Cel Damage. The team behind it then had to re-invent their characters etc (as Microsoft had the copyright on the 'old' ones) & then started to shop it around to other publishers, where it was eventually signed & shipped on multiple platforms.
There was a big post-mortem article on Cel Damage in the latest issue of "Game Developer" magazine. It will be on Link Removed at some point in the future no doubt.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Brian, I am not sure I follow. Does that mean the version of Cel Damage on the Xbox is different from what will show up on the GameCube? Will non Xbox versions use alternate characters or are you saying the "release" version of Cel Damage is an entirely different game than what Microsoft initially signed on for?

Gary

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Every time a game moves from one platform to another, things change. I could cite many examples (Starfighter, Silent Hill), but essentially you get any or all of the following:

new characters

new vehicles

new missions

expanded stories

technical changes

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508