What's new

X-Box Live Requires Credit Card, etc.? (1 Viewer)

Brae

Supporting Actor
Hello All,

I am setting up my X-Box Live account for the first time. A lot of the information being asked of me was not stated on their website nor the included literature (I may be blind, here, so be patient).

First thing I noticed was that they seem to filter GamerTag's. I tried C O Jones, CO Jones, and several other permutations and none would work. I wound up reverting back to one of my earliest Counter-Strike handles before someone robbed (and abused) it on CS.

Now, I am being prompted for credit card, birth date, telephone number, and other information after entering a legitimate Subscription Code. Are all of these required, and if so why didn't M$ state this to begin with (rhetorical, here)?

Thus, I sit paused at the Credit Card screen. I'm not entirely against submitting this information, but if its not required I'd rather not.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I think credit card info is required. I do remember reading about it somewhere prior to Live being released.

As for your gamertag problem...could it be that all those variations you tried are taken? There are a lot of people out there.

Kris Coffin

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Brae,

Kinda funny, I just picked up live today and have the same issue, started a gripe thread in the videogames section. I unfortunately was oblivious to the fact that a credit card was required. sure it says it on the box, but come on, I thought I met all the requirements. Xbox, check, network cable, check, internet connection, check. Creditcard, WTF???? The unfortunate part is I do not have a CC and didn't ever intend on getting one. Argh!

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
They just want it so they can charge you when your subscription is up. I'm betting it's automatic unless you tell them you want to cancel...

Kris Coffin

Stunt Coordinator
Romier S

I am just glad they didn't ask for something obscure like a Spotted barn owl with one eye and a bad limp. ;) Again something that should not be REQUIRED to play Xbox online.

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
It's made very clear on xbox.com that a valid credit card is required to create your account.

It's also very up-front about the fact that you will be charged for an additional subscription automatically when the first year is up.

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit
MS will also use the credit card info for "Premium Content" that will be available with future games. I believe that some games in will have content downloadable for a fee. If a MS already has your credit card info, gamers are much more likely to say "Yes" when asked "Would you like the content billed to your credit card on file?"

I've said it before, the Trojan Horse has succeeded.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks