What's new

X-Box Live Problems (Repost) (1 Viewer)

Ike

Screenwriter
Okay, it seems as if the database problem killed my previous thread. I didn't get to read any of the responses after my last post, and I'm still having this problem. To summarize:

I have a Motorola Surfboard SB4100 modem that I'm trying to direct connect to my X-Box using Cat5e. I power the modem down, and I select Live from the Dashboard. It reads for a second, then says Cannot Connect to Network. It troubleshoots the connection, everything comes up positive except for the last menu item, which says some like X-Box Live Not Found.

It was suggested I may need to get a router. I asked if this one would fix my problem.

I also would like to know how to get my MAC address so I can manually enter it.

Thanks for the help.

James St

Supporting Actor
A router will probably solve your problem. I don't have any info on that model but I'm running a Linksys and it was basically plug'n play for me.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Nuts. I wrote up a big response too. :frowning: Oh well, at least we're back up and running :)

In summary- the modem isn't the issue. I have the same modem & the same ISP. A router will solve the issue for you. The silver Netgear should work, but I know for a fact that the Linksys BEFSR41 works great without the need for any tweaking.

Also, Cableone has a help page for consoles that may be of some help.

-Dave

Ike

Screenwriter
Both these routers are plug and play, right? I tried to setup a network once and it was a huge pain in the ass.

The second question is I think I may be running a wireless network to two other computers very soon. I assume I can't use the Linksys BEFSR41 or the Netgear, and I know the X-Box has problems with wireless networks, right?

Thanks.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, it's very simple. Cableone has a walkthrough for that as well, but you probably won't need to do anything. Definitely change the admin logon on the router though!

Either will work fine with a wireless network. Just pick up a wireless access point plug it in & configure with the wap configuration utility. I haven't played XBL over wireless, so I can't speak of how well it works.

-Dave

JayV

Supporting Actor
On the XBL router compatibility page, MS had this to say about the Netgear router you're looking at:

"This Netgear router works with Xbox Live. However, the router has not gone through the same intensive testing as Xbox Compatible routers."

You asked about finding your MAC address. It should be printed on your cable modem. Also, assuming you are using a cable modem, you probably don't need your MAC address.

You should be able to just plug the modem into the WAN port on the router, and then your devices plug into the router. Your ISP should have more info.

-j

Ike

Screenwriter
Why is a router going to solve my problems? What exactly is my problem? I read around on the X-Box forums that it may have something to do with DOCSIS or something like that. Can anyone explain what this may mean?

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
I had a similar (if not the same) problem when I first started using Live. Sometimes I could connect, other nights I went without. If you open your DOS Command Prompt (start/accessories) and type in "ipconfig/all" you'll find your DNS, IP, etc. By manually typing these into the Xbox dashboard each time, I could sometimes (but not always) connect. I think what is happening is that the modem is trying to connect your computer when you want it to connect your Xbox and they must be communicating differently; it doesn't know that you've switched the ethernet cable to another device. Problem was solved with a Linksys BEF11S4 router and a lengthy phone call to their help desk. They walked me through assigning permanent settings and I haven't had a problem since.

JayV

Supporting Actor
Problem was solved with a Linksys BEF11S4 router and a lengthy phone call to their help desk. They walked me through assigning permanent settings and I haven't had a problem since.
That's why I thought a router might work. If your BB works fine with a connected PC, I thought that a properly-configured router would communicate better with your Xbox by remembering any odd settings that might be required. And it has also been my experience that a call to XBL and the BB provider might be necessart to properly configure a new router.

Just a thought.

-j

James St

Supporting Actor
Can anyone explain what this may mean?
The CableLabs® Certified™ Cable Modem project, also known as DOCSIS® (Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification), defines interface requirements for cable modems involved in high-speed data distribution over cable television system networks. The certified cable modem project also provides cable modem equipment suppliers with a fast, market-oriented method for attaining cable industry acknowledgment of DOCSIS compliance and has resulted in high-speed modems being certified for retail sale.

My router is the Linksys BEFSR41 that Dave mentioned above. Your MAC address (you get from your network interface card on your pc) is most likely registered with your ISP. Most cable internet companies use the MAC address to verify that no one steals service and not to give out IP addresses. If you were to replace the NIC on your pc you would have to call them and give them the new MAC address on your NIC. Most routers can clone your MAC so you don't have to bother calling. Everything connects to your router from there.

Ike

Screenwriter
Okay, I manually entered in my IP information, and everything is up and running. Yeah, it's a bit of a hassle powering down, switching cables, and then changing the DNS servers from Manual to Automatic back to Manual. But it works. And that'll do until I get my network up and running.

BTW-How does one get one of those spiffy name tags?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks