X-Box Live Problems (Repost)

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Ike, Jun 18, 2003.

1. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Okay, it seems as if the database problem killed my previous thread. I didn't get to read any of the responses after my last post, and I'm still having this problem. To summarize:

I have a Motorola Surfboard SB4100 modem that I'm trying to direct connect to my X-Box using Cat5e. I power the modem down, and I select Live from the Dashboard. It reads for a second, then says Cannot Connect to Network. It troubleshoots the connection, everything comes up positive except for the last menu item, which says some like X-Box Live Not Found.

It was suggested I may need to get a router. I asked if this one would fix my problem.

I also would like to know how to get my MAC address so I can manually enter it.

Thanks for the help.

2. James St

James St Supporting Actor

A router will probably solve your problem. I don't have any info on that model but I'm running a Linksys and it was basically plug'n play for me.

3. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Nuts. I wrote up a big response too. [​IMG] Oh well, at least we're back up and running [​IMG]

In summary- the modem isn't the issue. I have the same modem & the same ISP. A router will solve the issue for you. The silver Netgear should work, but I know for a fact that the Linksys BEFSR41 works great without the need for any tweaking.

Also, Cableone has a help page for consoles that may be of some help.

-Dave

4. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Both these routers are plug and play, right? I tried to setup a network once and it was a huge pain in the ass.

The second question is I think I may be running a wireless network to two other computers very soon. I assume I can't use the Linksys BEFSR41 or the Netgear, and I know the X-Box has problems with wireless networks, right?

Thanks.

5. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Yeah, it's very simple. Cableone has a walkthrough for that as well, but you probably won't need to do anything. Definitely change the admin logon on the router though!

Either will work fine with a wireless network. Just pick up a wireless access point plug it in & configure with the wap configuration utility. I haven't played XBL over wireless, so I can't speak of how well it works.

-Dave

6. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

On the XBL router compatibility page, MS had this to say about the Netgear router you're looking at:

"This Netgear router works with Xbox Live. However, the router has not gone through the same intensive testing as Xbox Compatible routers."

You asked about finding your MAC address. It should be printed on your cable modem. Also, assuming you are using a cable modem, you probably don't need your MAC address.

You should be able to just plug the modem into the WAN port on the router, and then your devices plug into the router. Your ISP should have more info.

-j

7. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Why is a router going to solve my problems? What exactly is my problem? I read around on the X-Box forums that it may have something to do with DOCSIS or something like that. Can anyone explain what this may mean?

8. Allen_Appel

Allen_Appel Second Unit

I had a similar (if not the same) problem when I first started using Live. Sometimes I could connect, other nights I went without. If you open your DOS Command Prompt (start/accessories) and type in "ipconfig/all" you'll find your DNS, IP, etc. By manually typing these into the Xbox dashboard each time, I could sometimes (but not always) connect. I think what is happening is that the modem is trying to connect your computer when you want it to connect your Xbox and they must be communicating differently; it doesn't know that you've switched the ethernet cable to another device. Problem was solved with a Linksys BEF11S4 router and a lengthy phone call to their help desk. They walked me through assigning permanent settings and I haven't had a problem since.

9. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

10. James St

James St Supporting Actor

11. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Okay, I manually entered in my IP information, and everything is up and running. Yeah, it's a bit of a hassle powering down, switching cables, and then changing the DNS servers from Manual to Automatic back to Manual. But it works. And that'll do until I get my network up and running.

BTW-How does one get one of those spiffy name tags?