What's new

X-Box Live connection with Mac? (1 Viewer)

Angel Pagan

Second Unit
I did a search but only received info regarding Linksys and Netgear. It seems like the Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless access point router & Linksys WET11 bridge is the preference on this forum. I'm new to all of this and have a mac at home. Was wondering if the above Linksys combo would be ok for a mac or maybe the D-Link AirPlus Enhanced 2.4GHz 802.11b 22Mbps Wireless Cable/DSL Router with the D-Link DWL-810+ AirPlus Enhanced 2.4GHz Ethernet Wireless Bridge would be a better choice for a mac user. Or maybe it doesn't make one bit of a difference. :) Anyone using D-Link for their X-Box Live? Any mac users out there using a wireless router with XBL?

Thanks.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Doesn't make a difference. Just get a wireless router if needed, and the necessary bridge/card (are you planning on connecting your mac wirelessly? If so just do yourself a favor and get an apple airport card). The router is platford independent so it'll work just fine. I have a wired router sharing the internet with my xbox, my parent's Dell and my G4. Everything works perfectly. As long as the items you buy are stadards complaiant, you'll be golden.

Angel Pagan

Second Unit
Dave, thanks for your reply.

So it doesn't matter then. A wireless router and necessary bridge, whether D-Link or Linksys is irrelevant. As far as the apple airport card goes, wouldn't I need the airport base station for the card to work?

I had asked about the D-Link because the Mac Mall website states "D-Link AirPlus Networks can transfer up to 22Mbps (Up to 2X faster than standard 802.11b networks)." Don't know if there's any truth to that but thought I'd throw it out there.

Thanks again.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Angel, nope you wouldn't need the Airport base station. Since the airport card supports 802.11b and 802.11g, it'll be compatible with any router that supports these. I'd bet the D-Link router in question is talking about when it's in 802.11g mode. My friend setup a wireless setup in his house. They have a D-Link router and he connects his DP 1.42 ghz G4 to it via an airport card and it works perfectly. They've also got a bunch of PCs connected with various wireless PCMCIA cards, ethernet bridges, and even a USB one I think and they all work perfectly.
If you want to run everything in the faster 802.11g, make sure you get a router and ethernet bridge that supports it(the new airport cards do so don't worry about it.) If you want to use the slower 802.11b(which is fine for all but the most demanding wireless users) then make sure the stuff you get is compatible with that(which 99.9% of all wireless hardware is). It sounds complicated I know but trust me, pretty much everything adheres to a standard so you should be fine.

Angel Pagan

Second Unit
Dave, thanks again for your reply.

That sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. I have an iBook so having my laptop go wireless would be awesome. I don't know if the D-Link I mentioned in the link I provided really does 802.11g. The Macmall site doesn't mention 802.11g but mentions "up to 22Mbps". Yet the Apple site mentions "The range of AirPort Extreme is up to 50 feet at 54 Mbps and up to 150 feet at 11 Mbps". But I think the 54 Mbps proclamation is when paired with an airport extreme base station.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks