What's new

x-box hook up question. (1 Viewer)

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
If price were no object, I'd get the Monster cables myself. Just like I'd buy a $500 component switcher. But I don't believe the improvements I *might* see (I doubt I'm as discerning as other HTFers) are worth the cost. I think the difference is better spent elsewhere. Like on a game. :D

Bob, as you posted in another thread, component cables offer a 5% increase in clarity over S-video. How much of a visible increase can there be between Monster and Microsoft cables? Is it just a little bit better, or is it "Holy mother of God, I'll never game any other way again!"? I can't cite the reference, but I did read of a home theater magazine that tested component cables and found Monster was not as good as a cheaper brand. I think the visual shortcomings of videogames are one reason why higher-end cables might be self-defeating. Seeing my PS2 through component cables revealed a lot more jaggies than S-video did.

David, I don't know what the Avia cost is as I picked up Video Essentials discounted to $15, since there was supposed to be a new version released. Avia is the better disk, though.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Well a good, HD rated switcher is only about $150. This thread on Inexpensive HD Video switching has a lot of discussion and links for these.

(For the other viewers)

Home Theater magazine compared all 3 video connections from a DVD player to a 50" Reference TV and found:

Composite: baseline
SVideo: 20% better than composite
Component: 25% better than composite

But we are talking ordinary component video here to a analog TV. Not Progressive Video from an XBox to a HDTV. 4 Mhz max for component vs 13 Mhz for progressive - higher frequency means some different issues.

"How much of a difference would I see" largely depends on:

- is your TV analog vs HDTV
- is your display 30", 50", 80"? (The more you magnify - the more defects you expose)

Alan, you may not be as discerning (aka "Obsessive" :) ) as other HTF'ers, but neither was I when I started. But I learned. I'm trying to pass on the ideas behind my recomendation/opinion.

You now have new knowledge. When you look at a video cable, you will wonder if it's made with shielded coax, can it handle HD video frequencies and is the build-quality decent.

You've become more descerning just by reading. And you have done something ~140 others did not: you questioned, you challenged (with some good points by the way). Keep up the good work. :emoji_thumbsup:

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
Forums like this (and members like you) are great ways to learn, Bob. But the more I learn, the more money I spend. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks