x-box hook up question.

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by David Preston, Apr 11, 2003.

1. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

Just got my x box. I want to hook it up to the component input on the back of my tv. What all do I need to do that? Do I need the hd pak? I can't use the cables (red,white,yellow)that came with it in my component input can I? If I buy the hd pak Do I also need to buy a set of component cables? Is it ok to buy a used pak for $9 cheaper? What sound cables do I need? Sorry about all the questions just want to do it right. Thanks.

2. Asim_C

Asim_C Auditioning

buy monster component cables for xbox, they are around 60 buks from best buy or circuit city, the difference between monster components for xbox, versus stock composites is very significant...

3. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

really? ive got no difference in myPS2 components....
    i want some expensive fat monster cables!!

4. Allen_Appel

Allen_Appel Second Unit

David, I doubt that you will see a difference between the cheaper Microsoft HD AV Pack and the Monster series. I might get a flame from the more militant of home-theaterers, but unless your system is really high-end (and I doubt it is since you are asking basic questions), you're not going to notice improvements that merit the cost, imo. Get the HD pack from Microsoft, which comes with a set of component cables. The RYW cables are composite and are the cheapest quality. The Monster hook-up also requires you to buy an extra Monster piece to enable 5.1 digital sound. If your TV has a TOSLINK input you can just connect a digital cable from the Xbox, otherwise use the audio cables that are already with the Microsoft HD connector into your audio-in jacks.

5. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

6. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

I'm with Joel. Monser cables are extremely overrated. As long as the cables you're using aren't super cheap, you'll likely notice no difference between them and monster cables.

7. Ritchie T

Ritchie T Agent

If you do want to get the Monster Brand cables, just check on ebay, you may get lucky and get one for less than $30 including shipping. Make sure you get it from a reputable seller. Or try Gamestop, they sell theirs brand new for $39.99.

8. David Preston

My tv does not have a TOSLINK. I want to be able to hear sound through my tv without the receiver being on and I want to be able to hear Xbox through my receiver when I chose. My tv does have a out to hifi will this help? What do I need to do? Can I run a optical cable to my receiver and rca's out to my tv. Thanks

9. Allen_Appel

Allen_Appel Second Unit

10. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

11. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

Couldn't you purchase the Advanced A/V Pack and replace the included cables with something from your retailer of choice?

Then you get whatever cables you want, skip the cost of an optical adapter and skip the cost of Monster gear. You can put the cables you replaced in your Xbox's G-Pak or whatever.

-j

12. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

13. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

Huh. Interesting info. An unbroken path is always better, but it didn't occur to me that that the breakout box itself is unshielded.

Two questions, then:

1. The breakout box is far away (well, a few feet) from the TV. Does this decrease its need for shielding? I guess a better question would be, does it decrease its need for shielding significantly?

2. What would the cable from the back of the Xbox to the breakout box look like if it were shielded? Internally, I mean.

-j

14. Allen_Appel

Allen_Appel Second Unit

Can you explain (or show) exactly what differences you will see? Or is shielding just "in case of interference" from power cables? It's not like the Microsoft cables are simply clipped-off extension cords.

15. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

If the cableing is in front of the TV and not routed behind the equipment rack, you reduce the risk of interference.

But the shield in a coax cable really does 3 things:

- Protects the fairly weak, line-level signals on the center conductor from outside fields (like from power cords or speaker wires).

- Maintains a uniform 75 ohm impedence that exactly matches the input impedence of your TV video connectors.

- Keeps the signals from 'leaking' off of the center conductor like an antenna.

You totally loose these unless you are using coaxial cables.

If the cables on the Advanced AV pack were shielded coax, they would each be about as thick as your CATV coax. This includes the thick cable going to the breakout box, and the cables with the RCA plugs. As I recall from the package, the thick cable just looks like parallel wires in a common plastic sheath. Not nearly thick enough to be coax unless they are using mini-coax like SVideo cables use.

16. David Preston

Man Bob I wish I would have read your post before I went and bought the av pak. I looked before I went and now I look when I get back and see this. Looks like I'll take the av pak back and get the monster pak. If the av pak is away from wires will it be even close to the monster picture. David

17. Allen_Appel

Allen_Appel Second Unit

Now, this is where I think HT advice can sometimes be misguided. I'm looking at my Xbox signal right now on a Mits 46807 HDTV. Not only am I using the Microsoft HD pack, with the only concession to shielding being the power cords wrapped on the other side of the TV, I'm also viewing it through a composite switchbox. Maybe a rabid videophile could see ghosting and loss of fine focus detail, but the picture is perfect to my eyes. Maybe if you swapped the cables and ran the Avia test patterns, I might see something, but then you'd switch them back and I'd see my perfect picture again. Bob, you have David convinced he's made the wrong choice before he's ever even seen his Xbox in 480p. David, I think you'll be fine with the MS pack. If you haven't yet done so, spend the money towards a calibration disk (Avia or Video Essentials) and you'll see more improvement, imo, than upgrading to Monster cables.

18. David Preston

Allen I hooked it up and it looks great and all I've played is Sega GT 2002. I plan on getting avia next. I found it at barnes and noble for around $45.00 is that about average price. Ohh yeah about the optical cable is it true that you will get the same quality sound out of a low or mid grade optical cable for the xbox sound. Thanks everybody for their help. David

19. Ben Seibert

Ben Seibert Stunt Coordinator

I think the price/quality for the optical cable will not matter as long as it has good connectors because it is not affected by interference. Be sure not to bend the cable though.

20. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer