X-Box hard disk: upgradeable?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Susilo, May 25, 2002.

1. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

I'm thinking of buying an X-Box just to store music ripped from my 1000+ (and growing) audio CDs. Therefore I'd like to upgrade the internal HD of X-Box to at least 160Gb hard drive.

Questions:

1. how many HDD can be installed in X-Box?
    2. is there a size limitation of HDD installed in X-Box?
    3. is there a titling and search function in X-Box?

or in the very worst case scenario, I'll just built a PC with RAID config so I can use up to eight 200Gb 7200rpm HDD. :p)

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

You cannot upgrade the HD.

There may be a hackery solution, but I haven't seen one yet.

3. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

And unless you like typing in a gazillion song titles with a gamepad, this isn't the best option for you. [​IMG]
    -Dave

4. David Susilo

Yikes! That's really bad. Planned obsolescence from the get go.

With regards to the title input. I thought an X-Box compatible keyboard will be available soon together with their Hi-Speed internet capability? Maybe I'm thinking about PS2.

Oh well, back to building my audio server then (something about having more than 1.5 Terra Byte HDD scares me)

5. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

6. David Susilo

True Dat!

7. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

RAID will give you no benefit when playing back audio files. Unless you're mirroring for security there's no reason to spend the money.

8. David Susilo

No, I'm not using RAID for that purpose, just to add more EIDE channels. With each RAID card, I can get 2 more channels which means I can add 4 more drives.

I've never tried using 2 raid cards yet (totalling 12 ATAPI peripherals), but I've already built one with 1 RAID card for my hard-disk multi-track recorder using 2 CD burners and 6 120Gb HDD. This way I can have multiple projects of 24 tracks audio per song at 24/192 resolution without breaking any sweat.

9. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Gotcha.

10. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Since it's going to take about a bajillion years for most of these games to fill up the 8GB HD. I really don't see what the issue is with upgrading it. It's not like a TiVO. The only thing I'd want to be able to do is to write the files to a new drive in the proper disc format in case it needs to be replacd w/o paying MS a truckload of cash

11. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

12. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

Actualy, there was talk of both Microsoft and Sony adding Tivo-like functionality to their HDDs, so a larger drive might be a boon. But then again, it's just talk.

13. Jeff Kleist

Hmmm, all depends on how fast those controller USB ports are. Sony has firewire in their pS2s, so that's not a worry, but I really wonder how they're going to put inputs on the XB

14. David Susilo

The USB 1.1 port is not fast enough for realtime video transfer for DVD-quality video (unless it uses proprietary compression scheme) and they are not USB 2.0 upgradeable (which is faster than the current IEEE1394).

Playstation is more likely to be able to do so using their IEEE 1394 although their 1394 is not 100% compliant to the full 1394 specs.

I hope PS2 will have the tivo-like feature. Then it will be more logical for me to buy a PS2.

(I'm a nut, I don't even play games, I just want to buy the console for the hell of it)

15. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

16. Jeff Kleist

So why not buy a TIVO if you don't want to game?

17. David Susilo

not even for TIVO functionality. Just want to buy a console :b TIVO functionality, or music bank functionality will just be the icing on the cake.
    If I ever a PS2, for example, I think I will buy an emulation of Space Invaders or something. [​IMG]

18. Jeff Kleist

You can buy emulation packs for the PC for about $9.95 apiece and they come with 10-15 games each
    Why waste the $200 if you're not going to game? That's a lot of DVDs. Better yet, give it to ME [​IMG]

19. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Screenwriter

Keith Plucker
    A little off topic but...

MS is adding Tivo like features to the Xbox...sort of.

I was recently asked to take a survey of a new pc identified as "newpc" (no name was given). Basically this thing seemed like a standard PC with Tivo functionality, pause live broadcasts, record content to HD for viewing later, etc. Here is the rub...another product was also part of the survey. The Xbox connection kit.

This software/hardware would allow a Xbox in another room to control/use the features of this "newpc" using the TV the Xbox is connected to for display. The connection to the newpc will be made through existing electrical wiring in the house or apartment. Also, according the the survey, a person can be using the newpc while another is using it's features via the Xbox and neither would experience a performance hit. From the survey, I couldn't quite tell what the cost of the connection kit would be. Software was mentioned at $29.95 and hardware was mentioned at $99. Of course, this isn't final yet.

And no I wasn't asked to sign a NDA before taking the survey. I am sure others will start talking about this soon.

-Keith