What's new

X-Box getting a facelift....... (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ashforth

Stunt Coordinator
From Computer and videogames.com

PS2-SIZED XBOX FOR E3?

A reduction in size for Microsoft's hefty console highly likely as industry chatter escalates

Microsoft is set to unveil a cut-down version of its Xbox console at this year's E3 event in the US, according to numerous well placed industry sources. The new version of the hardware is thought to be more akin to Sony's PlayStation 2 console in size, boasting flatter casing, ideal for stacking.
The specifications for the new Xbox will remain largely identical to the current model, it is believed, though it's expected Xbox Live software will come installed as standard.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
While I wouldn't mind a smaller XBox, I've got no big worries over the size of my current one. It fits perfectly in its place.

in a nice sized entertainment center one can put the xbox in its own cabinet away from ur other equipment. who cares bout stacking.

other than that not sure what the motivation is here. too many ps2-junkies that cant stand the change of the guard.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
other than that not sure what the motivation is here. too many ps2-junkies that cant stand the change of the guard.
Yeah because it couldn't possibly be that people simply just don't like the size/shape of it, it has to be because they're ps2 fanboys.

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
Well, I wonder how this will impact the cost if they bundle Xbox Live into it.

Unless they go straight to the subscription model at that point.

Who knows?

Glen

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Glen, I took that statement in the story to mean that the Live software would already be installed on the HD, and not that it would actually include a subscribtion to Live. Perhaps they do mean it the way you speak of though.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
They'll probably include the Live software installed on the HD but make it so you have to sign up and connect before you get a GamerTag and just give you the first year free (by adding $50 to the unit's price).

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
I think the later Xboxes already have the Live software installed, it just needs the Live disk to create and activate an account.

EdR

Second Unit
I wouldn't mind a smaller Xbox, but what I'd like even more is a quieter Xbox. It's really quite a loud box, quite a bit louder than my projector.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't mind a smaller Xbox, but what I'd like even more is a quieter Xbox. It's really quite a loud box, quite a bit louder than my projector
The loudest part of the X-Box is the fan. Smaller X-Box = smaller, quieter fan.

And I assume the headset will be included if XBL is.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Glen, I took that statement in the story to mean that the Live software would already be installed on the HD, and not that it would actually include a subscribtion to Live. Perhaps they do mean it the way you speak of though.
I thought the CVG story was quite clear about just including the software "preloaded", with the user still needing to buy the headset etc. It should be noted that CVG is a UK based site, and UK XBoxen do not have XBL pre-installed, unlike new US Xboxen which /do/ have it pre-installed.

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
I would assume that they wouldn't have the headset either....unless they were going to do the following.

Drop the Xbox price to $149 for the Sega bundle.

Charge $199 for the slimmer Xbox Live bundle.

I can't see them including the Headset and an activation code and still dropping the price.

Glen

Bruce_S

Second Unit
Smaller X-box = cheaper price??

hmmm... Maybe, it's time to get one.

When do we expect MS to drop it to $99. I guess, when XBox2 is release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks