X-Box Football - Madden, Fever or NFL2K2?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew Grall, Nov 26, 2001.

1. Andrew Grall

Andrew Grall Supporting Actor

Hey folks!

I just received my X-Box, and I'm a football nut, so... I could see having 2 of the three titles.

Which 2 of 3 would you recommened?

NFL Fever 2002- Supposedly has the best graphics...

Madden 2002 - It is the best Madden available, and I am familiar with Madden.

NFL2k2 - I am hearing great things about the PS2 version, and we can expect the X-Box version to be as good or better.

I have Madden and Fever, but I haven't opened them yet, so I could return them...

What are your thoughts?

2. Brandon_H

Brandon_H Stunt Coordinator

Well, I can't speak for NFL2K2 other than to say I enjoyed the previous versions immensely on the Dreamcast. But I own Madden Xbox and Fever.

Here's my basic impressions:

Madden: Obviously ported from the PS2, with few graphical enhancements, but it's still that classic Madden gameplay and it's in Dolby Digital 5.1.

Fever: Flashy, pretty, but it has some serious gameplay holes. Pass defense, especially, is a problem. Tries to strike a balance between arcade and simulation but, im my opinion, misses the mark.

As much as I love to look at Fever, I prefer the gameplay of Madden. I expect 2K2 will achieve the sim/arcade balance that Fever was aiming for. If I were you, I would pikc up Madden, wait for 2K2 and give Fever another year to mature.

Now if we can just get some quality NCAA football games for the Xbox next year. . .

3. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Yeah, I'm with Brandon on this. Fever looks amazing, and at first it's really fun to play, but as he said, passing defense is pretty unrealistic. Madden plays like Madden always plays, but it looks pretty lousy when compared to Fever. The collision detection is also subpar, as you will find guys running in place while up against another guy quite a bit. I rented both to see which one I would buy, and to be honest, I'm going to wait for 2K2 to make a decision, because neither one really lit me up. Right now if I had to choose...I'd probably take Fever, surprisingly, inflated passing game and all. Overall it was the more fun of the two for me, and I can't excuse the dropoff in graphics in Madden. I know it's a port, but damn, couldn't they have at least bump-mapped the field or something? I've played 7 Xbox games so far, and Madden is by FAR the worst looking of the bunch.

Is it possible for you to rent both over a weekend before you open yours? May be worth spending $8 or so to save $50...

4. Andrew Grall

Ugh...
    I keep going back and forth on this... I'm anxious to open up one of the games tonight. I just don't have much patience... (I finally received my X-Box last night at about 7:00 after expecting it that morning...I have set up the dashboard, but have yet to actually play a game...)
    I had just about decided that I would take Madden back to Target where I bought it, and go to Walmart to exchange Fever for Madden (I got Fever in a bundle with the X-Box from Sam's Club online). Then, I would probably pick up NFL2k2 in January as well. I have heard some really good things about NFL2k2... Anyhow, I am still willing to take more recommendations (at least until 3:20 EST). [​IMG]
    By the way...does anyone know if Fever or NFL2k2 have the Titans and league restructuring in year 2 of franchise mode like Madden does? I have to admit that that bit of realism appeals to me...

5. Andrew Grall

I guess it comes down to...

Which game am I going to return? Fever or Madden? I'm sure I'll only really play one football game until NFL2k2 comes out, and then I'll get that.

Any input? Anyone given both Madden and Fever a fair shot?

6. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

I know I just chimed in a few posts back, but maybe I can clarify it a little...do you love the Madden series, as far as gameplay goes? If so, dump Fever and stick with Madden; it's the best iteration yet. If you're a hardcore football fan who knows the difference between a 2-Deep and a Cover 2 zone and who wants the best football sim out there, Madden's your boy. If you're looking for a fun game to pick up and thrash your kids or your friends when they come over, or if you want the kind of graphics that make your knees a little wobbly, it's Fever all the way.
    I didn't mean to imply that Madden looks like a bunch of legos or something, it really is nice compared to what games looked like last year. It's just when you contrast it with the other Xbox titles that you notice how much is missing. Believe me, if you owned, played, and loved previous versions of Madden, I don't think you'll be disappointed with this one.
    Oh, and if you're going to log a thousand hours on one of them, Fever's passing game will drive you nuts after a while. It's a great pick-up-and-play game, but not one you want to build your life around. Personally, I will probably go with Fever because it suits my needs more. But the 9th time in a game Randy Moss pulls down a 70-yard bomb despite having my corner and a safety all over him, I'll probably hate myself for ditching Madden. [​IMG]

7. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

NFL 2k2 has the new Texas NFL team! Personally I am waiting on NFL 2k2, it is due to come out in January.

8. Leroy

Leroy Second Unit

9. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

I rented Madden 2002 and I recall that it had the new "Texans" in there as well.. Or was it Fever? I'm pretty sure they were in Madden.

I like the fact that Fever has the throwback uniforms you can choose from. The Steelers throwback uniforms are pretty sweet.

10. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

The Texans are in Madden 2002, but not in Fever. Dunno about NFL2K2...

11. Robin Banks

Robin Banks Extra

I had to chime in about NFL Fever and Madden 2002 for the Xbox. I have both games and I must say that both games have their strengths and weaknesses.
    The number one question you have to have ask yourself is this: "Do I prefer a football game that has a gameplay of an arcade game or a "simulation" game?" Now, if you can answer that question honestly, you will have made your choice. Here's why...
    First, let me say that I love football games over "any" kind of video games on the planet. I buy video game consoles based solely on whether or not the football games are any good. And, I only play the games at their hardest levels. With that said, I can say that if you are into pretty graphics and an arcade type of feel when it comes to gameplay, then run to the nearest store and get NFL Fever. In my opinion, the graphics are the best of any football game to date. EVERYTHING looks better on Fever than on Madden. Player faces, stadiums, jerseys, you name it. NFL Fever is pure eye candy if you are into that sort of thing.
    However, if you are a longtime Madden fan, the gameplay of NFL Fever leaves something to be desired. Particularly the AI of the defensive backs and the passing game. First, the AI of the defensive backs can appear to be horrible at times. Even when the games is set to the hardest levels. DB's will sometimes leave a receiver WIDE open. Especially if the QB scrambles. On the opposing end, a reciever can be wide open by a five or more yards and the DB's can make up the ground back to the receiver because of NFL Fever's passing game. The passing game tends to add a bit of "air" to the flight of the pass. When touching a button in normal passing, the ball will take a more "loop like" path to the receiver. I found that you should just press and hold the button down for a bullet pass to combat the issue. If you do so, the majority of the passes will get to the receiver before the defender has a chance to make a "spectacular" play because the damn QB lofted the football. [​IMG]
    In the case of Madden 2002, the game looks and feels the same as the PS2 version, but there appears to be a few visual enhancements to the game. Overall, the game play is very similar to the PS2 version. Nothing out of the ordinary will stand out about the Xbox version. Visually, the game has been tweaked. Overall, the helmets, jerseys, and dark pants seem to have a very subtle sheen to them that is just not there on the PS2 version. Also, some closeups of players will show scratches or scuff marks on the helmets from hits during the game. Lastly, the game does appear to look slightly better than the PS2 version because of the better graphics processor of the XBox.
    In closing, if you own Madden on the PS2, I would hesitate to rush out and buy virtually the same game for the Xbox. Madden 2002 for the Xbox is virtually a direct port from the PS2 with a few visual enhancements that are frankly, not worth your hard earned $50 bucks.
    As for NFL Fever, if you like better graphics and arcade like feel of the game, get this one. It does look better, period. But... [​IMG] Now, if you have never played Madden on any console, then you should be more than happy to just get NFL Fever now and just wait for next year's version of Madden. I'm pretty sure that EA Sports will try to "make up" for a rushed version of the most of us consider to be the best football game out there. (Let us all pray that they get it right in Madden 2003. - [​IMG] )

12. Andrew Grall

Well, I decided to keep Madden. I played it last night, and there are some slight improvements over its PS2 counterpart. The graphics look noticably better on my widescreen HDTV than it did on the PS2. Must be that progressive scan capability...

Anyone know why widescreen-set Madden PS2 didn't quite fill my screen properly, but it does on X-Box? Programming error?