1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

[X-Box] Favorite DOA3 Character?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brae, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

Well, I am slowly learning this game. There are some characters that seem to be slanted when played against other characters in terms of combo's.

Last night I was having a warm-up session with a coworker and we each picked a character for for each other. My coworker chose Leon for me and I chose Leifang for him.

Well, the first thing I realized was Leifang was quicker Leon, and she had the ability to attack in the middle of a combo-beating. Alterntively, Leon could not attack in the middle of a combo presented by Leifang. We both agreed as to haven seen this before with certain character combinations, and no doubt others have, too.

So, for those that have played Dead or Alive 3 on the X-Box, we were wondering which characters you personally felt exceed overall when compared to the majority of opposing characters. I know my coworker really likes Jann Lee, but I'm not so sure its because of the character's fighting abilities.

Being that I have not had sufficient time in playing this game (played sparingly in the workplace, and all of 30 minutes at home as a new X-Box owner) I have not chosen a character that I think is very good overall, and maybe one that would excell against the Jann Lee Character I know my coworker will chose if allowed.

Anyone have any personal experiences from Dead or Alive 3 on the X-Box? Here is the Tecmo DOA3 website for quick reference.

2. Leo_P

Leo_P Second Unit

I play as Tina most of the time. She's a badass! I like to play as Bass too every now and again. I used to play as Jann Lee a lot, but I now find him kinda cheesy. To me he has no depth.
    With Tina, not only can the girl strike but she'll put some crazy wrestling moves on you. My favorite move is when she catches someone's kick, then puts them in a figure-four leg lock. When you get good enough where you can use her combo throws during a game, people won't even wanna play with you.

3. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

For some reason, I've always gravitated towards Hitomi, though her moves are among the least flashiest of the game.

4. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

Ein and Hitomi are the ones I pull out when I am pissed and need to lay a smackdown. They both use Karate, which isnt showy compared to the other arts, but it is damn effective. Christie is amazing for her speed. Leon is great for just dealing out masochistic pain on people.

Really, there is no WEAK character. They are all pretty well balanced, you just need to learn how to use characters in relation to others. Like the Leon VS LeiFang match up. Dont go for blinding combos and speed there with Leon. Just wait for the attack and counter it back at her. Use small hits to throw her off then hit her hard. In this game it is all about misdirection, not combos. It is hard to explain without properly playing it. It just needs to feel natural.

Just find a character that you like and learn EVERY little nuance of them, then exploit it. Me, I am a sick pig and did that to almost all the characters, so I can read the movements of the other player like a book, which makes the countering easier.

And yes, I do play this game at least once a day or week religiously still.

5. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I play with either Brad Wong or Christie... both very DEEEP characters.

6. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I am such a button masher at this game! (in comparison to the old Street Fighter 2 games, the first few revs, where I learned how to use each character meticulously!)

I really should get some sort of manual for it to learn how to properly use the characters. Of course my friends and I have fun when we can do the throws and the "crushing" moves the best. This game is pure eye-candy for us!

7. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Not DOA3, but DOA2 for Dreamcast my fav was TINA... Oh man, her in her little vest and tight leather shorts.. [​IMG]

8. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

I always like to use throws & reversals in fighting games, so Tina is my favorite. Fast & deals a lot of damage with her throws.

-Dave

9. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

NickSo, I do not know why you replied. Maybe a thread about Tina in general is in order? Her outfit on the Bonus DVD is distracting to her opponent.

Sean, how do I unlock the EIN character?

10. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

I spent about 30-minutes playing DOA3 this evening in Survival mode. I set the game for very difficult and got through 5-6 (or was that more like 4-5) opponents. This got me to 6th place. I used Hitomi as she seems to have some interesting moves, and a nice midriff.

11. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

If I remember correctly to unlike EIN you have to beat story mode with every other char... I'm too lazy to check gamefaqs though so you might want to [​IMG]

12. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

Unlocking Ein and Random Select
    To unlock Ein from Dead Or Alive 2, finish Story Mode with every character. After the final credits roll (save the game byentering and exiting the Options Menu) go into Survival Mode with Hayate and play so you can put your name in the rankings (minimum three victories). While at the ranking screen, enter EIN as the name. You will unlock Ein playable in every mode except Story Mode, and you'll also unlock a Random Character Select feature.

Ein is from DOA2. He became Hayate in DOA3. I was pissed beyond reason when I saw my powerhouse taken from me when I first got this game. Hitomi tided me over until I found the above. Now Ein reigns supreme...looking all bad ass in his leather trenchcoat and sunglasses, dealing out the pain!

13. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

Ok, I no longer think I have a single favorite [X-Box]DOA3 character. Last night a played 3-4 characters and still beat the coworker 31-7 sets (5-round sets). With a coulpe of exceptions, most of the characters seem to have a strong advantage when used with the twitchy & timing skillset.

14. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

I found that Kasumi had the best "capabilities".

15. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

Hahahaha, 'capabilities'. Uh-huh. Actually, I used her to kick the living daylights out of Hitomi last night. Up-kick-kick-kick, down-kick-kick-kick, repeat over and over until coworker is frustrated, hehe.