What's new

X-Box & Dolby setup (1 Viewer)

Eric Stuckey

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric Stuckey
I could not find anything about this ,But does anyone have a mini 5.1 setup just hooked up to there X-box or PS2.I have a A+ Denon set up in the living room,but with my RPTV I dont want to hook up the x box to it.What kind do you have/Recamind? I found one at EBgames.com for $70.00

and it got some OK reviews.I dont need anything huge just a simple 5.1 Dolby for the games.Nothing to blow me away or anything. :b

Myo K

Stunt Coordinator
, life-like gaming excitement with 5 satellite speakers, a wooden cabinet subwoofer and a total power output of 1200 watts!

its not even dd, man its like a generic pro logic 1 system.

1200 watts lmfao

david stark

Second Unit
I had an xbox (sold it when I moved) and had it hooked up to my denon avr2802 via an optical cable and it sounded sweet in dolby 5.1 and had no problems with it on my main system. is there any particular reason you don't want to hook it up in your main room?

Myo K

Stunt Coordinator
ive used the xbox to play songs form the hard drive, and dvds, and its perfectly fine, except with the matrix dvd, the dvd drive starts buzzin :/

Eric Stuckey

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric Stuckey
Yes,I dont want to put the X-Box in my theater room because I have a 43 inch HDTV big screen and I dont want to get burn in. :frowning:

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
I play my X-Box on my ISF-calibrated Hitachi 43UWX10b 43" widescreen HDTV. As long as you have your contrast at reasonable levels (i.e. you've at least calibrated with Avia or VE) and you aren't playing for hours at a time or anything, it really isn't that big of an issue. You just have to discipline yourself. By that, I mean... if you're walking out of the room with the game paused, change to a cable channel or something before you walk out... take breaks between gaming sessions... etc.

BrianCli

Agent
I use my xbox with a Sony 53" HDTV all the time. I've been using that setup for 2 years now with no problems at all!

MS is now releasing more games that are HighDef (Matrix game 1080i, Halo2 720p, etc). Just dont leave your game on pause for hours at a time.

Game on.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
The burn-in issues are when you:

- play 1 game with fixed-graphics
- leave the TV displaying the game screen for 5-10 hrs per day
- Dont watch anything else

Since the XBox has a hard-drive to save games, you dont have to pause a game for days to keep playing.

I have no burn-in problems on my system. Just keep the intensity down and limit the continous display to ... say under 3 hours per day and you should be fine.

Eric Stuckey

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric Stuckey
Really
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
!
I have always read not to hook it up peried.
Thats great news since I do have a HDTV and a killer DD/DTS 7.1 surrond system.
THANKS SO MUCH EVRYONE!

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
Just use common sense. If you notice fixed images on the screen for long periods, take a break for a few minutes. Luckily, most games now are broken up with cutscenes or level screens that ease the fear of burn-in. But I can not stress the importance of using a calibration disc to get your contrast and brightness to safer levels. As long as you're running the set at conservative levels, you should be fine. Burn-in is a real concern... but so long as you use common sense in your viewing (especially with TV stations with static logos in the corners), you shouldn't have a problem.

Eric Stuckey

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric Stuckey
Well I have desided to just hook my GC & X-Box up to my 27 inch RCA tv and maybee Ill get a small 5.1 setup in a few months.After I thought about it,Playing games on such a big tv didnt sound that good ..Ya I know Im stupid.Thanks to all that replied.
Eric

Kevinkall

Second Unit
I have my XBOX hooked up to my HT and it ROCKS! Games like Halo sound AMAZING in 5.1!! I also have my XBOX modded and use it as a region free dvd player and media player to play audio/video files. I also have LINUX running on it so it also serves as a PC. :)

Phil_DC

Stunt Coordinator
I have my XBOX hooked up to my home theater 7.2 surround sound system and 64 inch HDTV RPTV via Monster Cable Gamelink 400X component cable for video and Monster Cable Lightwave 100X Optical cable for sound.

http://www.monstercable.com/monstergame/xbox/

The sound is awesome, as well as the picture! As far as burn in on the TV I don't worry it because if I am going to pause the game for any length of time, I just switch it back to TV then back to XBOX when I am ready, un-pause and play.

Ed Werner

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry to Hijack the thread, but maybe some of you guys could answer this question (yeah, this should be in the Vid Game hardware section too) but, is the optical audio cable that they sell to match the 400 component cable (green with that black crap that comes untucked at the ends) is as good as the higher end monster fiber audio cables?

Any thoughts?

BTW, Eric, you are really cheating yourself out of an awesome gaming experience not using your HT system. I was playing MechAssault last night and all I can say is DAMN!

--Ed

Phil_DC

Stunt Coordinator
The Monster Cable Lightwave 100X Optical cable is probably more in the medium cable range. However because of its design you would still need to buy the Lightwave 100X Optical cable to get the 400X component cable to 100X optical cable connector. After that then you could upgrade the actual cable it self.

Ed Werner

Stunt Coordinator
No, I know about the adapter as I allready have the 400x pack. I was just wondering if the matching green fiber audio cable is a good one or not. Is it worth upgrading or should I save my money and apply it elsewhere? There is alot of "elsewheres" ;)

--Ed

*edit* I guess what I am asking is that green audio cable the same as the 100x cable? Is that what it is?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks