X-BOX Digital Sound Possibilities Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by davenportbuzz, Jan 22, 2002.

1. davenportbuzz

Hey guys,

I'm about to purchase an X-Box. Naturally, I've researched a ton of posts like yours to see what people are saying. When it comes to technology, I like to buy things that I can grow into. I'm also a sucker for the best graphics so I changed my plan to get a PS2 and go with an X-Box. However, I anticipate a snag when trying to utilize the Dolby Digital 5.1 sound capability. I have a home theater and a nice receiver (Dennon 3200), but the DD 5.1 inputs are rather limited. I have just one digital coax input (being used by DVD player), one optical input (being used by Sony 400 CD changer), and one RF "digital" input that I used to use for laserdiscs (which allowed me to enable the 5.1 sound for them). I'm trying to work out a way to connect the X-Box so I can get that digital sound, otherwise I'll have to settle for standard 2-channel audio cables. Does anyone know if I can utilze the RF input? I suppose I need someone familiar with laserdiscs and the RF connector because it's not truly a digital connection. It uses radio frequency to convert analog sound (i.e. laserdisc) to a digital 5.1 format. I'm wondering if there's a output on the X-Box that would allow me to use that RF connection. If so, my problems are solved. If not, I'll have to think this over some more. As a side note, I have a Technics digital sound processor that allows me to have DTS. Perhaps there is a way to utilize one of the digital inputs on this in addition to my DTS hook up for the DVD player, that is if the RF input is unusable.

Much appreciated!

Rick

2. Andrew Grall

Andrew Grall Supporting Actor

As far as I'm aware, you need to use an optical input... at least that's how I have mine set up. You can purchase optical splitters which might do what you need.

3. davenportbuzz

Yeah, perhaps that's the way to go Andrew. I guess I didn't even realize you could get splitters for optical cables. I have always used digital coax ones so I haven't been as knowledgable about optical. I just started using one for the CD jukebox, so I guess adding a splitter now will do it.

Thanks.

Rick

4. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    I had the exact same problem on my system so I switched the CD player to a standard connection and used optical for the X Box. Unless you are listening to DTS CDs or are hooked to a CD burner using RCA cables shouldn't have much if any effect on sound quality.

5. Brett Mihans

Brett Mihans Auditioning

Rick,
    Have you considered a video switcher? JVC has one on the market that will not only switch video, but optical audio as well. It does have a steep price on it, but I think it would do the job, saving up for mine as well.
    JVC JX-555
    Brett