What's new

X-Box Controller-S....itchy trigger fingers (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ashforth

Stunt Coordinator
I just got an X-Box last weekend and I've had some fun playing around on it so far. My only complaint is with the controller. The controller-S feels pretty good and I like the responsiveness of the the thumbsticks and 4 action buttons. It's the fact that it only has two triggers.

I've grown used to the PS2 dual shock controller with its 4 shoulder buttons. I wish you could buy a third party controller (like Mad Catz) that repositioned the white and black buttons as shoulder buttons. This is just one gamers opinion and I'm sure the controller S will grow on me, but right now it feels a little weird.

Anyone else care to opine?

Cheers.

J.

Jeff Ashforth

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, that looks pretty cool. Has anyone tried one of these things??

Pretty much exactly what I was thinking, just different execution.

Cheers.

J.

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
The Pelican Eclipse wireless controller is exactly as you describe, with the black and white buttons mapped to two shoulder buttons above the triggers. Can't be used with Live, but I use it for all my offline gaming.

Jeff Ashforth

Stunt Coordinator
I think we have a winner. I think I'll try to swing by Best Buy today and see if they have any in stock.

Thanks for the heads up!

Jeff Ashforth

Stunt Coordinator
I just got back from Best Buy and I picked up the corded eclipse. I really don't need a wireless controller as my couch is only 8 ft from the RPTV. Plus, it was only $14.99!! The model I have looks a bit different than the one pictured below, one of the shoulder buttons is white and the other one is black so you don't wonder which is which.

It comes with a 10' cord AND a 6 foot long extension cable as well!

I will post my thoughts on it's performance tommorrow.

Cheers.
J.

EdR

Second Unit
Jeff, don't know if you play racing games or not, but IMO the triggers are a god-send for true analog acceleration and braking. I feel so much more in control while racing with the Xbox controller than any other (outsied of a wheel) because of the triggers.

For other kinds of games they are a mixed bag, but when you need controlled analog input, the triggers are great.

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
The analog buttons on the ps2 are just as good as triggers for racing once you get used to them. However, if you can't get the hang of the buttons you can remap the accel/brake to the right analog stick in a lot of games.

Personally, I like the triggers because I like using them as the 'fire' button in fps and such.

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit
I'm a big fan of the triggers. There's nothing quite like "squeezing" off a round or two in Ghost Recon. I like the shoulder buttons on the GC controllers, too.

Jeff Ashforth

Stunt Coordinator
I've had a good bit of time to play around with this controller and I give it a big thumbs up!!

It feels great and works just like my controller S. If I had one nitpick it would be that the shape of the controller makes the repositioned white and black buttons a bit awkward to reach but it is still better than where they were.

If you're on the fence about getting one of these, go for it. It's a no brainer for $15.

Cheers.
J.

EdR

Second Unit
The analog buttons on the ps2 are just as good as triggers for racing once you get used to them.
Hmm, I played the PS2 exclusively for a year and never got used to the task of moving my finger 1/100 of an inch to make a throttle adjustment. Maybe its just my indelicate coordination, but I don't think there's any comparison to the 1/2" throw of the Xbox triggers.

Jeff Ashforth

Stunt Coordinator
I've actually found a better solution very much like Dave Bennett suggested. It's a converter that I picked up for $20 at my local GameStop.

I just couldn't get over the uncomfortable placement of the white and black buttons so I thought I'd stick with what works: the good old DualShock 2.

I'll post thoughts later.

J.

Jeff Ashforth

Stunt Coordinator
This thing works like a charm right down to the vibration (which could be a little more robust) and I'm glad I was able to return the Eclipse.

Now I feel like I've got all my bases covered. There are some games that just need the Controller-S, Halo is a good example, playing that with a PS2 controller is awful, the analog triggers are too important.

Cheers.

J.

Jeffrey D Smith

Stunt Coordinator
I love analog triggers.

I don't think the Dreamcast has been mentioned, as that's where they originated as far as home consoles go. Xboxes works well, and I love the Gamecube's with click action, smart feature. (If only more games would properly utilize them...)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks