X-box and projector question.

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Daniel_Burke, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Daniel_Burke

Daniel_Burke Extra

I have been looking at getting a projector for X-box and some movies. I would like a projector with a relatively cheep bulb that way it doesn't break the bank when it goes out. I was wondering if any of the people on this board have experience with any of the following projectors: Epson powerlight home 10, Infocus X1, Sanyo PLV-Z1.

As of right now I like the idea of 16:9 ratio of the Epson and Z1. I'm not sure of the bulb life on the Z1 though? The others are 2,000 to 3,000 hours.

If anyone else has other recommendations on projectors in this price range please tell me. I'd like to do some research before purchase.

2. James_G

James_G Stunt Coordinator

The Epson Home 10 lamps can be had for around 150-175 bucks online. The lamp life is 2000 hours for vibrant, living room, and theatre video settings, and 3000 hours for theatre black. I play a lot of games on the vibrant setting, so it'll probably be closer to 2000 hours for me. The games look fantastic and the 16:9 setting is much appreciated. Matting off the sides is a lot easier than matting off the top and bottom. Of course, you could just stretch the games out in squeeze mode (the actual resolution is 640x480 pulled out to 854x480, similar to a SDTV with squeeze mode).

3. DuWayne

DuWayne Stunt Coordinator

I play my Xbox on my Z2 and can take full advantage of 720p games and/or native widescreen games. I only use the 1/2 lamp option, due to the fact that it is surprisingly bright enough. I have yet figured out how to tell how many hours I have logged, but the lamp is rated for 2000.

I've been told that most new projectors will shutdown after 2000 hours regaurdless to prevent implusion.

4. Sheldon-m

Sheldon-m Stunt Coordinator

I have the X1. it works great for games and movies. it says it will last for 4000 hrs. thats if you clean your X1.
    keeping it free of dust(ya right[​IMG]. i have seen lamps for about 200 to 300$. it is a great projector. you just need to to test one out.

5. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

I can second the X1. I love mine. [​IMG]

6. Daniel_Burke

Daniel_Burke Extra

I'll check out the Epson Home 10 and X1 some more. I just want something that will be good with the Xbox.

7. DuWayne

keep in mine that you will not be able to take advantage of 720p/1080i xbox games with the X1.

8. Sheldon-m

Sheldon-m Stunt Coordinator

What games are 720or 1080i? i have only seen 480i. i did miss some game?? :b

9. DuWayne

Almost all Sport Games are 720p (including Amped 2) and some Action Games like True Crimes and Soul Calibar. Enter the Matrix is an example of a 1080i game.

PS. Most all other games support 480p