X-Box and Gamecube with my projector

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James_T, Jan 1, 2002.

1. James_T

James_T Stunt Coordinator

In the coming months I'll be purchasing both an X-Box and Gamecube, and I want to know the best way to hook them up to display them with my system.

I can use component cables for both, which are fed to a passive switchbox for my DVD player, PS2, and the two new systems. That component video signal is then fed to an IScan Pro line doubler, which then goes to my projector (NEC LT 150). So is it as simple as connecting the systems like this? I'm just wondering if they are already sending out 480p signals and thus there might be some sort of issue connecting them to my line doubler like that.

Thanks for any help.

2. Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins Supporting Actor

James, the XBox allows you to select the output you desire. Most games today still output 480i, you can always have it output that regardless. It does have 480p, 720p and 1080i IF they ever get something to use those formats... I believe Halo is 480p but am not sure...
    Personally I hope someone creates a 1080i adapter/scaler so that ALL output is 1080i, including DVD. That would be nice for my projector [​IMG]

3. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

All XBox games are 480p.

4. TimG

TimG Second Unit

The IScan will NOT accept a progressive input, interlaced only.

Tim

5. Paul Jenkins

6. James_T

OK, thanks for the responses. I'll just set the output to 480i.

7. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit

Noooo!

Put the passive switcher after your IScan, if need be, but don't bastardize the gorgeous 480p signal off of the Xbox by dropping it to 480i and then line doubling it.

8. Paul Jenkins

9. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit

I'm well aware that the Xbox doesn't output 480p for movies.

That doesn't change the fact that Halo in 480p absolutely destroys Halo in 480i as far as image quality is concerned. The deflicker filter in the Xbox wreaks havok on texture detail.

10. Paul Jenkins

Gary,

Perhaps you can come up with a wiring solution that he can use then for both DVD playback and game playback. You mentioned a passive switcher, perhaps combining that with a split of the XBox output (can you split the XBox output?)

DVDs through the iScan at 480p are much better than 480i through normal component. If the wiring solution is too much, I think the iScan taking 480i and converting to 480p for all output would be the best situation (again, assuming he is using the XBox to watch DVDs a lot, like I am)...

11. James_T

I will not be using the X-box for DVD playback. I have a separate DVD player for that.

However, there is no way to connect a component cable to my projector, or any place after the IScan. The IScan connects to the projector via a cable that I don't know the name of (I guess it looks like a serial or parallel port connection--RGB cable maybe?). All component switching has to be done before that.

However, I'm having a hard time seeing how I'd be sacrificing much image quality with my external line doubler, which itself costs several hundred dollars more than the X-box. Regardless, I don't see any other options.

Thanks for the help, and if anyone can come up with a solution (if one is required), I'd appreciate it.

12. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit

The problem is that line doubling doesn't extrapolate the missing lines anywhere near as well as you would get if you just used the lines that the NV2A generates.

The Xbox renders at 480p, which is then downsampled (blurred) to 480i. At this point, quite a bit of texture detail has already been lost, since the 3-line deflicker filter sacrifices high frequency texture detail for overall image stability (this step does not occur if you just output the 480p image directly). The line doubler can not regenerate this high frequency information - at best it will only perform low-pass filtering on the lines it generates.

There is absolutely no way that a line doubler will ever compare favorably with using a direct progressive scan image from the beginning - this applies to DVDs, Gamecube, and Xbox.

If you could get the name of the cable that connects the IScan to your projector, I might be able to recommend a better wiring solution.

13. Paul Jenkins

James_T,
    Gary is right, if you don't care about DVD playback, use the 480p output of the XBox, you don't want it to downgrade the output when it doesn't have to. For the connection, you need to take the component output of the XBox through a component to RGB converter cable into the projector. Audio Authority makes one such converter here:
    http://www.digitalconnection.com/HomeTheater/9a62.htm
    Hope this helps.

14. James_T

Thanks again for the continuing support. [​IMG]
    So I guess what happens here is I need to find some way to connect two different RGB cables to the one connection on my projector... is there such thing as an RGB cable switchbox?

15. Paul Jenkins

yes, there sure is [​IMG]
    Belkin makes some nice switch boxes

16. James_T

Paul:

I'm looking at the Belkin site but I can't seem to find any/figure out which of these switchboxes would work with an RGB cable. Could you further assist me with that? Thanks.

17. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit

Is the video cable you use the 15-pin VGA connector, or the 5-cable BNC connector?

18. James_T

Gary:

The 15-pin VGA cable, but with some pins removed on the projector end (some have to be removed or it won't connect).

19. TimG

TimG Second Unit

Gary and James, the LT150 will accept either component or RGB through the vga cable. If that helps any.

Tim