X-Box and Dolby Digital...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ian_Fisher, Dec 31, 2001.

1. Ian_Fisher

Ian_Fisher Stunt Coordinator

ok...I just got an X-Box yesterday, and I wanted to hook it up to my reciever to take advantage of the in-game Dolby-Digital. How the hell do I hook it up?!?! My PS2 has an optical cable, but I can't find anyplace on my X-Box to connect it.

I looked online to see what cables and connection sets you can buy, and the only one I've found that might have it is the High Definition AV Pack. Is this the one I have to get?!

Thanks in advance

Ian

2. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

You do in fact have to have an external digital out.
    If you just want S-Video and Digital Out, get the Advanced AV Pack. If you are looking for Progressive Scan, get the Hi-Def pack. Neither come with an optical cable, but I know for certain that the Hi-Def pack comes with componet cables. I don't have the Advanced AV pack, so I can't tell you, but I'd assume it has an S-Video cord.

3. Ian_Fisher

Ian_Fisher Stunt Coordinator

Thanks!

I knew I was missing something!

4. Jerry Gracia

Jerry Gracia Supporting Actor

5. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I just picked up an X-box yesterday and I also bought the Advanced A/V kit, it Does include the S-video cable, however it's bonded together with standard RCA (audio) cables so if you're using an S-video link and a Toslink digital output, you'll have extra cables hanging around. I'm only going to be using the digital output and the s-video hooked up to my Parasound A/V preamp and DD processor so I just kind of tied the cables back. BTW, toslink cables are expensive, Rat Shack has 3 feet ones for $25!! and they sell a toslink splitter for $10 cause my only toslink connection is in use with my DishNetwork 501 receiver, that's an extra $35 I had to spend for the digital output (1 cable plus the splitter).

FYI, Best Buy had something made by MadCatz that was like the MS Advance A/V pack except it was $30 however, it included the toslink cable in the pack so that's a good deal if it's a quality product.. I did not see those MadCatz packs at Circuit City, CompUSA, Funcoland, or EB.. I had to go to all those stores before finding an x-box in stock and bought one at EB and also Silent Hill 2 that somebody returned..

Jay

6. Darryl_B

Darryl_B Stunt Coordinator

7. Michael Tucker

Yes, Target has the optical cables as well in the $10 - $15 range.

As a side note: does an optical to coax adapter exist? I need one for my PS2 since the XBox is using the last remaining optical input in my receiver.

8. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

Mike:

You may want to consider getting an optical switcher from Radio Shack.

Rich B.

9. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I've heard some ramblings in other threads that a coax digital output might be in the works but I have heard no solid proof yet so I'd consider it just that, a rumor. Anyway, Radio Shack does sell an optical splitter for $10,

Part# 15-5585 if I remember correctly, I was just there trying to exchange something for that but it was out of stock...

Jay

10. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

I just bought an extra ps/2 tos cable for $12 for myxbox. works like a charm.

11. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Heehee, I just returned the $25 3ft optical cables back to Radio Shack and bought a $10 (on sale too) 4ft Sony one from Sears... Damm, never knew Radio Shack to be that expensive, and I hope Sony isn't mad that I'm using it on an X-box, but hey, they didn't drop their price on a PS2 so I bought an X-box.. [​IMG]
    Jay