What's new

X Box a/v question!! Please help (1 Viewer)

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
I'm pretty much decided on an X Box for my next game system but I'm a bit confused. I have an hd ready set and 7.1 surround so plan to use all of the x box features.

Monster Cable and x box sells the component video connection with analog audio outputs. I don't notice any optical or coax digital outputs on the console. Does this mean that I have to purchase the "Advanced A/V pack" in order to get 5.1 and a progressive scan image? BTW - I also didn't notice any optical outputs on the Advanced A/V pack.

What is the best way to hook it up? Use the advance av pack or go direct with Monster's component video?

Thanks for the help?

Elbert

Ike

Screenwriter
Go with the HD pack-it comes with the inputs to hook it up to a 5.1 and Progressive Scan. I think you need to buy the cable to go to the receiver is all (is it an optical cable? I'm not sure.)

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
THanks, IKE. But, wouldn't the AV pack and optical cable mean the same as getting the component video cable and optical cable, except that I would be spending $20 less?

Elbert

KevinHunt

Stunt Coordinator
Here is my question along the same topic. I'm also thinking of getting an Xbox. My HT pre/pro only has 1 optical audio input which I use for my DTV receiver to get DD with satellite movies. Is there some kind of optical splitter I can use and plug the satellite optical into and the Xbox optical into then a singal optical into the pre/pro? Then the pre/pro produce whichever is active? I found one at Radio Shack, but it describes it as being used to split the optical output of a singal source, such as a DVD player, into 2 seperate outputs. Can this be used in reverse for my situation? Thanks in advance.

Kevin

Henry Colonna

Stunt Coordinator
That's a good point - I don't have my XBox yet, but I have two optical inputs - DVD and DirectTivo. I don't have a third!

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston
On my Sony 50ES receiver, I have two digital connections for my DVD player input. One is Coaxial, the other optical. I just use the coax for the DVD player and the optical for the X-Box......set the receiver to auto select on the digital input and all is well as far as the sound goes.

I use the S-Video for the X-Box through the receiver and Component video directly into the TV for the DVD so there are no problems with the video getting crossed either.

I just make sure the DVD and X-Box are not trying to play sound at the same time. When one is on....the other is off.

James St

Supporting Actor
Elbert, the Monster component cables come with a proprietary digital audio output. You will have to buy the Monster brand optical cable in order to get 5.1. Both the Advanced pack(s-video, composite, analog and optical digital audio) and the HD pack(component video, analog and optical digital audio) will give you 5.1.
For those looking for a optical switcher, I found this one at Crutchfield. I'm there are others out as well.
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...8SBD30&o=P&a=0

Andrew s wells

Second Unit
why is the monster component cable so much more price wise than the hd pack? i can't imgine there being a whole lot of difference between the two.

Michael Hudson

Stunt Coordinator
I ran out of inputs as well. I have three optical but four coming in. I picked up a spliter from radio shack for the PS2 and XBox it works great. So that may be an option for you.

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
Please give more info on this splitter?

My receiver is having trouble taking my xbox connection (I use SVIDEO or composite and both produce wavy lines on th screen, I'm using monster cables. Funny, my PS2 which also uses monster exhibits no wavy lines on the screen. Gamecube is goign through pelican svideo on receiver and no wavy lines either.....)

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
Thanks.

Anything that could be a "combiner" where I can make one fiber optic input have 2 inputs, and it only select the one that is on?

Thanks,

ELmO

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
That splitter works as a combiner too, you just have to make sure that you don't have both on at the same time.

Dean

Michael Hudson

Stunt Coordinator
You know I tried the splitter with both my PS2 and XBOX on and the Xbox over rode the PS2, I am not sure if it is because of the 5.1 but that was the case. The splitter I the link is the one I picked up no complaints at all.

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
More detail Hudson, please.

You tried a splitter with both on at the same time, or you tried a different splitter?

You tried the splitter in the link and it worked fine?

Thanks,

ELmO

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
I just called radio shack and they said that fiber optic splitter isn't a switch....why'd he tell me that?

You guys did tell me I can plug xbox and ps2 into that splitter, and the one end into the receiver's fiber optical input, and it will recognize either ps2 or xbox (whichver is on) right?

They confuse me when they call it a splitter, and don't talk about how you could use it as a combiner..?

-ELmO

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
dunno about the splitter. Fortunately, I don't need it. However, having never been able to see what the Hi Def A/V pack looks like (packaging covers the unit), I don't know if there is an optical output on it. Furthermore, I don't see how the digital signal can be transfered from the X-Box's A/V output, which doesn't seem to have an optical out and turn it into an optical signal, ultimately through the HiDef pack to a receiver.

CAn anyone enlighten me on this?

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
why is the monster component cable so much more price wise than the hd pack?
Because it's "Monster Cable". They will give you a whole bunch of reasons ;)
Seriously though, I am a critical SOB when it comes to quality, and I have a $90.00 Monster Component Cable running from my progressive scan DVD player to my set, and then I have the component cable coming from the $20.00 Microsoft High Definition pack going to another input on my set, and the cables that came with the HD pack look every bit as good as the ninety dollar Monster Cable.
Also, when I got my PS2 last year, I spent $50.00 on the Monster Component Cable for that system ...got home, hooked it up ...took it back to the store because it did not have any stereo audio outputs (which I needed at the time) -and I picked up a Pellican brand Component cable for the PS2 for $7.99 -and it worked every bit as good as the Monster Cable did.
Trust me, all you need is the $20.00 Microsoft "High Definition Pack" and a Toslink Cable, and you are good to go.

Michael Hudson

Stunt Coordinator
OK here is the deal with my splitter. I tried it with the PS2 on first and the XBOX off and it worked fine. I then turned the XBOX on to see what would happen and the Xbox sound came in. I then turned the PS2 off and back on while the XBOX was on and the XBOX was still the unit that the I heard. I think you would be best to use just one thing at a time but I just wanted to see what would happen. :)

Michael Hudson

Stunt Coordinator
Radio shack sells a switcher and a splitter. The switcher has four in one out with a toggle switch, the splitter is just a Y. Two in one out one signal at a time. I think the splitter would work fine for your needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks