X-Arcade & Xbox problems

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Dave F, Sep 10, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Has anyone here tried using an X-Arcade joystick with an Xbox? I seem to get a bit of lag between the button presses and the onscreen action, and I've heard of others reporting this as well.

It seemed okay for Soul Calibur, but I'm having a real hard time in Street Fighter. When starting a combo with a jumping roundhouse, the kick starts too late & kills the combo.

I dunno, so far I'm pretty non-impressed with the unit. Xbox performance is sub-par, and it wouldn't even respond on Primal for the PS2. :/

-Dave

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Thanks for the warning! BTW, any word on a Soul Caliber 2 stick for the XBox?

If not, I wonder if you could use the PS2 version of the stick with one of those universal adapters? (Although, I'm beginning to suspect that the console conversion process in the stick is the cause of the delay...)

3. BrianB

BrianB Producer

I've seen a few complaints about "lag" with X-Arcade & the Xbox, with people guessing it's something inherent with the design of the system. Switching the Xbox "adapter" for a PS2->Xbox doesn't hide the problem, apparently. Might be worth emailing the company to see what they say.

4. Phil Levy

Phil Levy Stunt Coordinator

Yep, heard about this problem many times before. In fact, I pretty much hear nothing but complaints about the X-Arcade, which is an overpriced product anyway (can build the same thing yourself for 1/4 the cost).

Sorry to hear you're having troubles [​IMG].

5. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I had the same problem with using a PC adapter to my MAS stick (PS2 version). I gutted out the internals that came with the stick which was a pretty big board that had placeholders for a chip for each system, the only chip was in the PS2 slot. This multi-console board seemed to be causing the lag.

I just bought a $12 PSX pad, soldered the connections to the buttons and voila! No more lag even with the adapter. If you're good with soldering/electronics it's worth giving a shot. You can at least open the joystick up and see if it has one of those multi-console boards.

PS- if you're looking for alternatives to the X-arcade try these:

http://www.massystems.com/ProStick.html
    http://www.redoctane.com/joystick-series.html

6. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Bah! The company knows all about this & has been trying to resolve it, but there isn't even a mention of it in the support site. >:[ I'm just cringing at finding out how much the return shipping charges will be.

-Dave

7. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George