X-Arcade joystick adapter question

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TonyTone, Dec 16, 2003.

1. TonyTone

TonyTone Supporting Actor

Does anyone know if the X-Arcade joystick bundle is supposed to come packaged with the PC adapter included at no additional cost? I'm wondering because the X-Arcade website literature is worded so as to imply that it doesn't; in fact, one of the FAQ concerns what if a buyer wanted to purchase the X-A off their website and wanted to be able to use it on both a PC and a game console--the answer was to select the PC adapter as your "free" adapter choice, and then to "purchase" the appropriate game console adapter.

However, if you read the manual and the packaging itself (I already bought and received the unit)--the packaging clearly states "PC Adapter Included" (this is printed on the packaging itself, rather than on some sticker slapped onto the box); in addition, the manual clearly states that the joystick comes with PC functionality standard.

So...which is it? Does the PC adapter come standard, i.e., there is normally no need to select it as your "free" adapter if you buy the X-A at their website? I sent an email to X-A asking for clarification about this and they haven't yet send me a reply; I also left them VM, with similar results (no callback). I'm starting to think that they (X-A) "cheated" me out of $20 by misleading customers into thinking that the X-A joystick doesn't come standard with any adapters, let alone the PC one, when the packaging and manual appear to indicate otherwise.

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Best way to find out is to email XA. $20 for an adapter is way too much. Here are some alternatives, and ebay has better prices. I use something like this to get my PS2 joystick to work on my PC.

3. Matt Broeska

Matt Broeska Stunt Coordinator

yah the pc adapter is standard. you have to use it as a pass through for your keyboard for it to work. plug your keyboard into the back of the xarcade, then take the ps2 adapter that should have come with your xarcade into the back of your computer into the keyboard port.

4. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

FYI: The X-Arcade stick has a very slight lag when used with the Xbox. Apparently it is worse on Xbox Live, but I returned it before I tried it on Live. I tried it with some fighting games and the lag was just enough to mess up combos. With regular action games I didn't notice it, but it was very apparent with games that required precise timing.

Plus, it wouldn't even recognize with some PS2 games. [​IMG]

-Dave

5. Scott L

Scott L Producer

The lag is probably due to the custom PCB they wire to the buttons. I had major lag using my PS2 MAS stick on a PC USB adapter. I swapped the PCB out with a cheap PS2 controller's and the lag was gone.

6. TonyTone

Just to clarify exactly what I'm asking about (not to slam those of you who took the time to respond to my post)--I know how the PC adapter is supposed to be hooked up. My concern was as to whether or not it was necessary to select the PC adapter as your "freebie" when ordering the X-A joystick (remember--when ordering the joystick at their website, you get to select one adapter of your choice at no additional charge); like I said, and as Matt also stated--it appears that one wouldn't need to do so. As such, my gripe was that their website FAQ more or less implies that no adapter comes packaged with the joystick even though the manual and packaging itself appears to indicate that, in the least, the PC adapter is indeed packaged with the joystick.

Scott--I did email XA; to this day they still have not returned my email asking for clarification on this matter. Their company apparently isn't all that great in answering/returning phone calls and/or email in a fairly prompt manner. I'll send them one more email and if they don't respond at all or can't provide a plausible explanation about what comes standard with the joystick...I guess I'll just have to call my CC company and contest the $20 charge for the adapter.

7. Matt Broeska

Matt Broeska Stunt Coordinator

sorry i guess i misunderstood. when i ordered mine, i got the dreamcast adapter (for free if i remember correctly) and the pc adapter was standard and came with it. you shouldn't have to pay extra unless you want another adapter.

on the the topic of lag, there is a noticeable lag on the dreamcast, however here at work we have the full on xarcade cabinet unit and on our mame machine, we don't notice any lag.

8. TonyTone

Okay, they replied to my second email by stating that they did credit my CC account (verified), so all's good.

As far as the lag issue and such...I notice a wee bit of it too when connected to the PS2.

FWIW--I have the two-player controller, and it's too bad X-A couldn't program an option to make the X-A player-2 joystick handle function as a player-1 RH analog joystick a la the PS2 controller; kinda hard to play games which originally/normally function with two joystick controls (e.g., Robotron)...and yes, I know the X-A player-2 joystick handle can be programmed to double as an additional player-1 joystick in PC/MAME mode.[​IMG]