What's new

Wyatt Earp DVD....where is it? (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Sean Dayton

Stunt Coordinator
Kasdan has stated in interviews that he was not happy with Wyatt Earp. Even Costner even claims that its not a bright spot in his career.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I like it too and as Trevor has stated, Tombstone is in a league of it's own. IMO it is the bright spot of their career for every single actor in that movie. See my thread going on in the movies section about Tombstone. Tombstone is the only movie I ever need for the Earp fix. But Wyatt Earp is still a good movie that I would like to own.

Trevor H

Second Unit
...must...resist...urge...to...respond..........
No, please respond, I would like to hear you opinion.
I think Wyatt Earp is a great movie and I would love to see a director's cut DVD, I would buy it in an instant. That being said I personally think Tombstone is a better movie, it actually is one of my favorites (the new directors cut DVD is really good) The casting, sets, location, story & everything else about it just draw me in more than "W.E." did.
But as I said that is just my opinion, and since this is a thread about the movie Wyatt Earp I am very interested in all opinions about it.

DannyS

Second Unit
god... if only for the amazingly gaunt performance of dennis Quaid....The best, most underrated actor ever... Quaid is ace

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
I believe that Wyatt Earp will forever live in the shadows of Tombstone although Wyatt Earp contained more depth on the characters and great acting unlike Tombstone which is a great Action Piece.

Paul-Gunther

Stunt Coordinator
I much prefer Wyatt Earp over Tombstone. Tombstone has moments, and a good performance by Russell, but I personally feel that Earp is the better movie of the two.

Sean Dayton

Stunt Coordinator
I own both titles and enjoy them both. Dennis Quaid really acted his ass off and lost allot of weight to portray Doc Holliday. Kasdan took the time to develop the true friend till the end relationship that Wyatt and Doc shared. Something that was skipped in Tombstone. You have to admit though that Val Kilmer really nailed his parts and steals the show in Tombstone.

Wyatt Earp was orginally screened for a running time 318 mins. Warners made Kasdan chop it and chop it again. Warners kept saying it was way too long and they would not be able to sell it at the Show east/west conventions. There is no approved directors cut Laser Disc. Warners put out a special expanded edition. All the info inside the book comes from interviews that Kasdan did during the production of Wyatt Earp.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Wyatt Earp is a Western in the Classic Style and was done in an Epic fashion with well defined characters and lots of depth to the story.

Tombstone was a Western done in A Rambo style for the action crowd and is thin on story and characterization but much heavier in action than Wyatt Earp.

Both movies are good but very different in styles and techniques and really should not be compared but they always will be because they are on the same subject and were originally released close together.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
For a completely different perspective on this subject, how about My Darling Clementine. This is a great John Ford directed movie.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Marty
My Darling Clemintine is a great version as is "Gunfight at the O.K. Coral" and its follow up "Hour of the Gun" is not bad either.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Tombstone appeals to mass audiences.

It's more of an action movie.

I like them equally, because I consider them totally different movies.

But I want my Wyatt Earp. And I don't own tombstone.

Isn't Dances with Wolves coming out sometime soon?

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
But as I said that is just my opinion, and since this is a thread about the movie Wyatt Earp I am very interested in all opinions about it.
No, it's actually a thread about the DVD. Discussions of the merits of the 2 movies belong in the Movies forum. I, too, would like to see the director's cut of this film. However, I understand that Kasdan isn't particularly fond of revisting the movie (and the extended cut on LD, released at a retail price of over $100, isn't Kasdan's authorised version and contains no supplements).

Brett C

Second Unit
I was thinking about this film and was wondering when Warner will get around to doing it. And in the longer Dir Cut!

Sean Dayton

Stunt Coordinator
I would not hold your breath for this one. Anyways do a search. Wyat Earp was discussed within the last three weeks.

John_Pang

Grip
I guess it's because I am such a huge Silverado fan, or just a fan of the lovely Joanna Going, but does anyone have any information as to whether Lawrence Kasdan's Wyatt Earp will ever make it to R1 DVD?

I have the Ex. Laserdisc set and I just noticed that Showtime is running it in HD this month, so my hope to see it on DVD soon has been renewed.

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
Just to put fans at ease (and I'm certainly among them -- I've loved Wyatt Earp since first seeing it in theatres), Warner Bros. said the film would come to DVD in 2004 (not might, but would -- I believe their words were "Wyatt Earp will amble along in 2004" :)). This was in their last chat at the HTF.
Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet (65mm sourced, please, WB) and Lawrence Kasdan's Wyatt Earp are the two titles I most eagerly anticipate from the studio that do not yet have firm release dates or specs (I'd hope for director and/or cast commentaries, pristine source elements, as suggested above, and, for Wyatt, seamless branching between the original and extended cuts -- I own the extended cut on VHS, the theatrical on laser, and the differences are so few that seamless branching shouldn't prove difficult at all to implement for the release). The sooner the better for both, but I'm happy to wait if the wait brings about the best editions possible. Neither set the box office on fire, but both are remarkable visual journeys that will greatly enrich the format (and, for my money, Branagh's Hamlet is simply one of the best films ever made).
2004, much like 2003, should be a very good year for DVD.

Mickey P

Agent
Has anyone ever heard anything about this movie EVER coming to DVD? Ive been waiting for this one in particular ever since DVD`s first appeared!! All of Costner's other movies are out(I think). This movie is his best in my opinion and I had a hard time deciding which I liked better....Wyatt Earp or Tombstone. I definitely like the Doc Holliday better in Tombstone, but Ive always loved this movie because not only does it give you the gunfight, but a look at Wyatt Earp's life and how he got to that point in history. I know its a long movie, but its one of my favorites!! I just want to know whats taking so long? Last I heard, Warner Brothers owned the rights to it, and I had sent several E-mails asking about the movie but never once got an answer! Does anyone know anything????? Wyatt Earp is my last remaining Laser disc, and then I can sell my Laser disc player. I need the room in my rack for another 300 disc changer!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks