Wyatt Earp DVD....where is it? (MERGED THREAD)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Chad Ferguson, Sep 16, 2001.

1. Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson Supporting Actor

I plan on asking this at the Warner Brothers chat but I don't want to go into the chat uninformed. Has Warner announced anything about this film? I know that on Laser Disc there was a beautiful Directors Cut released. This film in my mind could easily be a reference disc. IT has beautiful midnight blues and great day shots. Of course, being a western, the sound would be deadly, you could almost feel the bullets fly buy! This is just high hopes of course but this movie has high potential too be awesome on the DVD format.
    Thank you

2. jason celaya

jason celaya Stunt Coordinator

I really perfered this movie too Tombstone.....looking forward to seeing it some day in the dvd format as well.

3. Deane Johnson

Deane Johnson Supporting Actor

Chad:

Glad to hear you're pursuing this. It is conspicuous by it's absence on DVD.

I have watched closely for it and have heard nothing but a deafening silence. There have been threads asking about it previously, but no answers.

Deane

4. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

This movie also has a wonderful soundtrack by James Newton Howard. I would love to hear an isolated soundtrack of this movie on the DVD.

5. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Same boat as Deane here. Been waiting and waiting for some kind of announcement. Being a Costner film, you'd think it would get some discussion as to a timetable, but...well, let's find out from the chat.
    Bruce
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

6. Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson Supporting Actor

I asked about it in the chat but their reply wasn't too detailed. They said that it is being considered but it needs a new transfer. Also, by the looks of it, they have there 2002 list planned out, so should I not expect it till at least 2003 at all. Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that I was able to ask the question, I just wish the answer was a little detailed. On a side note, how long does a new transfer take?

7. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I have a chance to get the Special Edition LD with the 20 minutes of extra footage for a very cheap price. But, I will wait if I knew that a dvd was coming. Does anyone know anything?
    Thanks!

8. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

If you go through the Warner chats, this title has been brought up and I believe theyve talked about it but nothing is set or planned yet.
    If you cant wait 2 years or so for the DVD, buy the LD.
    ------------------
    Visit My Pathetic WebPage
    "....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
    what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
    one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung

9. Mike Ray

Mike Ray Auditioning

I read another post about this regarding the WB chat. Something was mentioned about Wyatt Earp needing a new transfer and that it was being considered. Doubtful we will see this great flick any time soon on DVD. 2003 at the earliest.

10. David Coleman

David Coleman Supporting Actor

Don't get me wrong, I love TOMBSTONE. As a matter of fact I own the Vista Series releases but i really love WYATT EARP! This movie has been on and off the schedule so many times it's not funny! Wonder if anyone knows the status of this title? Would make a great 2-Disc SE like those September titles being released.

David

11. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

Tombstone is better [​IMG]

12. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    Actually...if you want the story of Wyatt Earp, THIS film is better.

Tombstone is better for a cartoonish, but fun take on Doc Holliday more so than Earp.

I'd love to see this film in an SE DVD. I'd also love to hear Kasdan's reasons for not editing much of the beginning out!

13. Jon_Stevens

Jon_Stevens Agent

Apparently Kasdan doesn't like Wyatt Earp and he says he shouldn't have made it. I can't understand why. I think Wyatt Earp is excellent and it should be released in a special edition.

14. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I was lucky to pick up the 2 disc SE laser with the book on Ebay for $19 dollars.

15. Declan

Declan Second Unit

Just after watchin this on Laserdisc for the first time. I bought the theatrical and Special Extended edtion laserdisc's for $19, not bad I say. The artwork on each is beautiful and the extened verion is in a friggin huge box and it looks very special indeed. One LOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNGGGGG show, but it was'nt boring at all, which was good. Great music as well by Mr. rings music maker himself James Newton Howard. Good picture and as always an exccellent PCM track. Just wondering why this was'nt on DVD. I know it did'nt do anything at the box office back in 94 when it was up against forrest gump, True Lies and Speed. But you'd think Warner bros would at least put a disc of it out so if they ever do bring it out on DVD I wonder what version it will be and wjat extras it would have. Why did they bring out The Postman instead of this?

16. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

I have the same questions. This wasn't a big hit and perhaps that is factoring in the lack of a release, but still...it does have Costner, Quaid and Hackman in it and you'd think that starpower alone would bring it to the surface. Alas, so far, that isn't the case and I feel a pretty sizable hole in my collection with its absence.

Bruce

17. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

This, along with a couple other Costner movies, are still not bought because of the current transfer (or lack there-of).

18. Declan

Declan Second Unit

the laserdisc transfer was fine with me. Sure there was a few instnces when it could have been a bit better, but the sound was great. I've still the extened version boxset to watch, so I think i'll save that for next week sometime.

19. Cage

Cage Auditioning

Ive asked this before in other forums, and no one has ever heard anything. Supposedly WB has the rights to this movie, and Ive been waiting on it since the inception of DVD, but have never heard a single thing about this movie, or even why it cant be released. Ive sent letters to WB about this movie but never even got the courtesy of a reply. This is one of my favorite movies....has anyone out there heard of anything or know any information on this movie they can pass along? Thanks

20. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    It would be nice. Although this movie is way too long and the beginning drags like a bum leg, once the story gets going it has some depth that Tombstone lacks.

I think director Kasdan might be one of the hold-ups, but don't quote me on that. I've heard that he's not that fond of the movie and doesn't want to participate in the special features.