www.searchxl.com: How do I get rid of this?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Dome Vongvises, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

I'm at my parents computer, and for some awful reason, a "search engine" window all of a sudden dominates the screen. And too boot, I try to shut it down with alt-ctrl-del only to say "It's not finished yet!"

Evidently, I figure somebody at my household was surfing and got hit with malicious java scripting (is that the right terminology?) and got this program downloaded into the computer.

I've checked Add/Remove programs, but I haven't found anything. I need to edit the registry probably, but anybody know what is supposed to be and not supposed to be there?

2. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

ooookay, I think we should start simple. . . as in I don't think you need to be playing with the registry just yet.

I'm wagering that the program is just a simple spyware application. you can download "ad aware 6" or "Spybot Search and Destroy" to get rid of it. you can google those names to find their respective websites. there's a quite a bit of information about spyware just on this forum, you can do a search on it to learn more.

as always, post back with the results.

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

It may be more than just spyware with its crazy java. I'm 99% sure going to www.mcafee.com and installing their anti-virus software would safely remove it, but it costs $35.

Antivirus software is well worth it imo, especially since your parents use it all the time. If I go to a website with malicious java code McAfee stops it dead in its tracks. It will also stop emails with multiple subject headings in the outbox, preventing viruses that use MS Outlook to send out more viruses in the addy book.

ps- Here's a free virus scan tool here, I think you may nee to buy Antivirus to get rid of anything it finds though.

4. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

5. Dome Vongvises

thanks. I'll try that.

BTW, the Ad-Aware didn't work. It happened again.

6. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

7. Marshall Alsup

Marshall Alsup Second Unit

I had a similar problem the other day. I had a stupid piece of spyware that did the most annoying things. It would pop up with adds at almost ever page I visited! Even worse, when I'd do a Google search it would bring up a separate IE window with the same search I just did in Google only in some other stupid search engine.

Ad-Aware didn't do anything. I love that program but It seems to work less and less these days. What I did is go to pestpatrol.com (they sell an adware blocker thing, thats like Ad-Aware on steriods) and used their free internet scan. It found the offending program and showed the registry link. I just navigated my way there and deleted the keys associated with it and the problem went away.

Its getting to the point that spyware software is almost as important as AV software! Whats the net coming to?

-Marshall

8. Dome Vongvises

Thanks for the help guys. I finally got rid of it. Unfortunately, this isn't my computer, so I can't fool with the javascript settings to prevent this from ever happening again.

9. Scott L

Scott L Producer

*ahem* Virus protection! [​IMG]

10. MikeFR

MikeFR Supporting Actor

... and get a better browser.