www.internetcop.net/

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ike, Jan 14, 2002.

1. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Anybody seen this? It set itself (I didn't do it) as my homepage (that should be illegal, in my opinon), and tells me I've downloaded illegal material. I know that's not true, and even if it was, there's no way they'd know.

But what scares me is it correctly ID'ed my version of windows. I've seen the version that says I've visited adult websites (even though I hadn't), but this seems to have gone further. I don't think this website should use my information like this.

Is there any rules against these sort of sites/advertisements? What do these things actually do? What are they looking at that isn't cleared out when you clean your history/cookies? Is this just scare tactics?

2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    Thats just somebody using smoke and mirrors trying to scare people into buying some worthless internet eraser software. I don't know exactly how it is done but tracking an ip address or the version of windows is fairly common.

3. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

The version of Windows and the version of IE is sent by the browser 'helpfully' when the website requests it. You might want to check for any trojans installed, but I'd just remove the homepage setup and ignore it. Yes, its probably illegal, no you don't stand a chance of getting them prosecuted for it though.

4. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

How do I check for trojans? I've just got shareware Panda antivirus installed, I just never worried about it.

5. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

If you've got an antivirus package running that should spot most things, and a firewall like Zone Alarm from Zone Labs would tell you if any unusual processes are trying to make an outgoing or incoming internet connection as well, so you'd know if something is trying to phone home with your personal information.

6. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

There is a description of a new Trojan on Symantec's page called Trojan.StartPage. When run, it changes your browser's start page to the one selected by the Trojan.
    Click here for more information. A definition update for Norton Antivirus that detects this trojan will be made available on 1/16.
    What were you doing before your home page got changed? Did you run a program, or did you visit the site? Some sites have Javascript that changes your home page to the site, but normally you'll get a message asking you first. If you come across a site that does this, I'd add it to the "Restricted Sites" zone in IE so scripts won't run on the site.
    KJP

7. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

8. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

This happened to me yesterday with that site, I didn't think twice about it because its happened with many sites before and nothing has gone wrong yet [​IMG] . It's annoying that people set it to do this.

9. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

I just jumped on that site out of curiosity; it's just a scare tactic. Your browser by default reports the OS type and browser version in the HTTP request, so the server just echoes that back when it presents the page. But that's about all it'll find.

It didn't change my default home page. I have Norton Internet Security and Norton Antivirus and neither of them flagged anything.

KJP

10. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Well,

I didn't visit there again, and it reset itself to my homepage. I think it may have put something on my PC. How do I check and make sure?

11. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

Ike,

Doing things like checking the version # of Windows, etc... is VERY simple to do. In fact, in C, you can accomplish this with 1 line of code (1 function call).

12. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

I don't think it's the site itself. Did you receive any unusual email attachments recently, or did you download/launch any programs? You could have gotten a Trojan that when run resets your home page to that site.
    Does your home page get changed everytime you restart your computer? Check your startup folder, as well as the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurr entVersionRun and see if there's anything unusual being launched at startup. If you're on Windows 98 or ME you can use msconfig to view/update this information as well.
    Check out http://www.symantec.com, they have an online virus scanner and security check you can use, or get Norton AntiVirus. If you have a virus, worm or trojan it should detect it for you.