What's new

WWII films dealing with domination/submission? (1 Viewer)

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
I am working on a term paper for a course I'm taking focusing on French Cinema during World War II (movies made during as well as after about WWII in France). I want to write about some aspect of domination, submission, whether it be mental, physical or sexual, not sure yet (90% of my class is gonna write about children and wanted something a bit different). I was looking into The Night Porter as one of my main points of discussion. Anyone have any other suggestions for similarly themed films dealing with WWII? Doesn't have to be a French film, or deal with France in particular. Thanks

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Interesting theme Matt. I would think that you could argue films such as Casablanca would fit. Otherwise:

Salò (Pasolini—this is the definition of domination and is set in Fascist Italy)

The Conformist (Bertolucci)

The Pianist (Polanski—he has made others that might be closer)—perhaps not exactly your theme, but it is present

Cabaret (Fosse—even though this is a musical, it fits the bill—of course it is set in pre-war Europe)

Two Women/La Ciociara (De Sica—includes a standout performance by Sophia Loren)

If you can stretch to post-war Europe, a whole slew of films by such as Fassbinder.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Le Corbeau is one to take a look at.

There's the prewar classic The Rules of the Game.

You're probably after fictional portrayals, but a film that might serve as a contrast as it describes the real thing is Marcel Ophuls' Hotel Terminus: Klaus Barbie His Life & Times.

If you are going to look at films from other countries by including Salo, another one to look at is the Czech film The Shop on Main Street involving a very different kind of exploitation.

There are a number of 70's grindhouse/exploitation cheapies along these lines - SS Experiment & SS Hell Camp are two examples.

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
Thanks a lot guys, some interesting looking stuff here, going to check out if our library here has anything, grab a few off Netflix. If anyone comes up with anything else please keep it coming.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
hi,

check out "A Short History of Movies" by Gerald Mast and Bruce Kawin. the most current one is 9th edition.

there's a chapter on French films along with a list of titles that you can netflix and watch. most early French films contain those themes that you want to write about. even Joan of Arc the silent version.

Rob Foss

Stunt Coordinator
Two movies - both French - that may help are The Sorrow and the Pity (amazing documentary about French collaboration and resistance during the occupation and readily available in R1) and Army In the Shadows (Armée des ombres, L'1969), a really powerful drama about the French underground directed by Jean Pierre Melville. And after saying that I feel somewhat guilty about pointing out that the latter doesn't seem to be available on video anywhere except in France. Great movie though, so if you get the chance to see it ...

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Army in the Shadows or Army of Shadows is being re-relased theatrically by Rialto on April 21st, assume starting in NYC and then slowly rolling out to art houses. Glen Kenny did a short review in the current issue of Premiere.

This could mean we could see a Criterion DVD next year.

Tom Fynan

Stunt Coordinator
Don't forget Lina Wertmuller's "Seven Beauties." The Italian title is "Pasqualino Settebellezze." The scenes with Shirley Stoler and Giancarlo Giannini are exactly what you are looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks