What's new

WWII DVDs (1 Viewer)

ForresterW

Stunt Coordinator
hello

i would really appreciate if anyone can recommend a good WW-II DVDs(documantary or movie) which are already out or soon to be out. i am more interested in documantaries but i wouldnt mind a good movie either

thank you =)

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I'll give you some good films:
Saving Private Ryan
The Thin Red Line
Patton
The Longest Day
When Trumpets Fade
Das Boot
Tora! Tora! Tora!
A Bridge Too Far
A Midnight Clear is a good film, but it is going to be released in pan&scan. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
The Guns of Navarone is a good WWII flick as well as a good DVD. They made a fairly decent SE out of it.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I would agree that"The World at War" is most likely the best telling of WWII in documentary form. I would like to add "Twelve O'Clock High" & "The Great Escape" as other good WWII movies.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Grave of the Fireflies - the best animated film I've seen is about 2 Japanese children trying to survive in Tokyo during the final days of the war.

They Were Expendable - very good John Ford/John Wayne film about Navy PT-Boats in the Phillipines

Mr. Roberts - sailors incl Jack Lemmon and Henry Fonda try to pass the time on a dilapidated minesweeper far from the action.

and more recently:

Divided We Fall, a Czech film about a couple who hide a Jew in their house. Nominated for a best foreign film Academy Award last year. I think it's already out on R1 DVD.

I really wish someone (Warner?) would put out the Frank Capra "Why We Fight" films.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Yes, "The Train" is a great DVD. I especially enjoyed the John Frankenheimer commentary.

Brian E

Screenwriter
While not a documentary, Link Removed is a great look at the everyday "Joe" in WWII. Image's release is pretty nice.

Hendrik

Supporting Actor
...a few random titles (all available on DVD afaik)...
-> from Hollywood:
-- Hangmen Also Die
-- Bataan
-- A Walk In The Sun
-- Run Silent, Run Deep
-- Hell In The Pacific
-- When Trumpets Fade
-- The Best Years Of Our Lives
-> American TV Documentary series:
-- WW II In Color
-- Victory At Sea
-> from the former USSR (on RUSCICO DVDs):
-- Ballad of a Soldier
-- The Cranes Are Flying
-- Come And See
-> from Germany:
-- Aimée & Jaguar
-> from the Netherlands:
-- Soldier Of Orange
-> from Japan:
-- Black Rain
-- Human Condition - Parts 1/2/3 (on 3 DVDs from image)
-> from the UK (on Region2/PAL DVDs):
-- In Which We Serve
-- A Matter Of Life And Death
-- A Canterbury Tale
-- A Town Like Alice
-- The Battle Of The River Plate
. . . . . .

Henry V

Stunt Coordinator
There's also Billy Wilder's SAHARA (1943) starring Humphrey Bogart and Sam Peckinpah's CROSS OF IRON (1977) starring James Coburn and James Mason.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I would also recommend The Big Red One. A very good movie that follows a squad throughout WW II. The movie stars Lee Marvin.

balendu

Auditioning
Das Boot - excellent movie from a German point of view.

Patton - great disc and movie, and George C.Scott's

performance is amazing.

Tuskegee Airmen or Memphis Belle - for the airwar

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I really wish someone (Warner?) would put out the Frank Capra "Why We Fight" films.
There will be THREE versions of WWF in about a week's time: Madacy, Goodtimes, and now United American (release date 2 April). The Madacy is UNACCEPTABLE since they CUT the climactic final 12 minutes of The Battle of Russia - it jumps straight to the closing credits! :thumbsdown: Anybody got the Goodtimes yet? I'm ordering it and the United American versions. Maybe I'll even get around to a cross review of all three.
Hendryk: IIRC Victory at Sea is only available in Region 2. :confused: Why would the Europeans be interested in a paen to US naval greatness?

Paul W

Second Unit
What about The Devil's Brigade coming out this May? Is it a good movie? As I recall, this is another misfit GI movie with some Canadian troops thrown in the mix.

Blu

Screenwriter
They were expendable is excellent

In Harms way is also very good

Midway I love

Saving Private Ryan is a crown jewel!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks