WWI movies on DVD - suggestions please...

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Eric Huffstutler, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    I have noticed a gap in my war theme DVDs - missing are movies centered around WWI. Are there any good ones out there? Would like to include at least one in color and/or more modern release and at least one about the Navy and dreadnoughts for that war. Open for suggestions!

2. Jeff Kuykendall

Jeff Kuykendall Stunt Coordinator

Paths of Glory. Stanley Kubrick. Need I say more?

3. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

The Oscar-winning, AFI 100 film All Quiet on the Western Front. That 1930 original is in B&W. A good, Golden Globe-winning made-for-TV remake--from 1979, starring Richard Thomas--is in color.

4. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

Jean Renoir's Grand Illusion is another great WW I film on DVD.

5. Bryan Ri

Bryan Ri Screenwriter

Bryan
    As dated as the film is, All Quiet on the Western Front truely captures the essence of WWI: It was started by beareucrats, fought by the middle class, and was based on propaganda.

Bryan

6. BrianP

BrianP Supporting Actor

One I can think of not mentioned is the Blue Max. Some great aerial footage and it is in color. Another I would highly recommend is Sergeant York if it were on DVD.

7. Bill J

Bill J Producer

The Lost Battalion was a made for TV movie that aired a few years ago on A&E and has some nice battle scenes. It's not quite as good as Paths of Glory or All Quiet on the Western Front, but if you are looking for a more modern World War I film it is worth checking out.

8. Devin_C

Devin_C Stunt Coordinator

Peter Weir's Gallipoli (title tt0082432 on IMDB - can't post URLs yet, sorry) is a pretty good film, I enjoyed it. I have no idea what the DVD is like though.

9. JohnTRU

JohnTRU Stunt Coordinator

Ditto on Gallipoli.

Not only is it Peter Weir at his best, Mel Gibson at close to his best, it's the best Australian film ever made (coming from an Aussie who generally despises Aussie films).

10. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Lawrence of Arabia of course. Can't help you on a WWI naval film.

Not really "war movies" but 3 movies set in Russia during the 1914-1918 time period that do have battles or deal with the war in some way and all are on DVD:

Dr. Zhivago

Coup De Grace, Volker Schlondorff film about a woman who falls in love with one of the German soldiers bivouacing at her home and fighting for the "White" side in the Russian Revolution.

Archangel, Canadian director Guy Maddin parodies silent and early Russian films with his sort-of comedy about an American soldier in revolution-torn Russia whose memory loss after a war injury leads to strange experiences.

11. Paul Bond

Paul Bond Stunt Coordinator

There's The Lighthorsemen.

I'm still working on a Naval flick. Should be something on Jutland, but maybe not.

12. Tony Stark

Tony Stark Stunt Coordinator

Too bad the All Quiet on the Western Front DVD has a terrible transfer. You figure it would be getting the SE treatment.