WWF Raw is War--2/18/01

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thi Them, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

Last night's show was one of the most memorable wrestling shows I have ever seen, for nothing other than the Hogan/Rock segment.

The confrontation of The Rock and Hollywood Hulk Hogan was surreal. Here you had the two most charismatic wrestlers in the history of wrestling inside the same ring, and the crowd and home viewers were at their control. I could have watched them stare at each other all day.

The ambulance segment came off better than I was expecting and not as good as it could have been. Something as little as an "NWO" tag on the side of the ambulance would have made it much better.

~T

2. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    I'm actually excited to watch wrestling - something that hasn't been for a quite a while now. I agree, the Hogan/Rock confrontation was surreal and something I never thought I would see. I'm glad that they are going to fight at Wrestlemania.

I'm really jazzed about the return of Hogan, Nash and Hall to the WWF. I have a feeling that Vince isn't going to botch this angle as bad as he did the WCW invasion angle.

3. DougWright

DougWright Stunt Coordinator

I am in the 15th row for wrestlemania and have tickets to RAW live the next night, it will be a dream come true to see Hulk vs. Rock even though I think hulk is a little old to be believable, still in great shape mind you. I am also glad to see Diesel back, he is a presence. But I feel the whole NWO angle is gonna stink up the place, yes even worse than the Invasion angle. Come on, it is only 3 guys... was everyone out back asleep while Rock was being assaulted in the ring.... phht! We all know how "real' this is but please give us something a little more believeable.

One thing that did concern me is seeing HHH favoring his left leg, I hope it was an act pretending to be sore from Angle "trying to" break his ankle, but after what he just came back from, who knows.

4. Kevin J Willis

Kevin J Willis Stunt Coordinator

Although I'm not a fan of unrealistic angles, the angle with the ambulance was one of the most memorable things I have ever seen in wrestling,and I've watched it for over 15 years. This is one angle we will be talking about 10 or more years from now.

5. Scott W.

Scott W. Second Unit

Yeah. I really enjoyed Hogan's opening rant about his departure from the WWF in '93, and how he had secretly missed the fed and proffesionalism. Hogan telling the crowd to kiss his ass was just plain 'Hollywood' attitude. Watching the main event at Wrestlemania, Rock vs Hogan... sounds like a real bang for the buck. I'd love to see Hogan perform live someday. Here's hopeing an upcoming edition of RAW or SMACKDOWn comes to Edmonton.

Scott

6. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

I thought RAW was amusing for the most part (if you count out Hogan repeating the "gonna lay the smack down on his crippled ass" line over and over), but I'd have been pissed if I'd have been there live. There were only 5 RAW matches, with the rest being commentary & angles. They may be enjoyable on TV, but they're hard to follow in person, IMO.

I think the NWO angle is shaping up pretty good. I'm sure the NWO numbers will grow, but hopefully not to WCW proportions. I'd like to see HHH take the title at WM by jumping to the NWO ship.

I was lucky enough to see Hogan live at the peak of Hulkamania. It was at the Hara Arena, and was back in the days when they only did TV tapings once or twice a month. They literally filmed 4 weeks worth of matches while we were there. I believe the show lasted well over 4 hours, and Hogan was the final match. The most amusing thing was that wrestling was still supposed to be "real" at the time, yet they filmed 4 weeks worth of interviews at a time. The most noticeable was with Greg Valentine, who was in the middle of a big angle. From the interviews, we found out how the angle would develop, then end, and what the aftermath was, even though it'd be another month and a half before it all played out. It was also interesting to see some of the wrestlers wrestle multiple matches during the taping. Hogan was the absolute star of the show, though, and seeing him live was something special. I believe it was his first time in Dayton, and it was quite a while before he returned (in fact, I had quit watching wrestling by then). I'm hoping he's with them the next time they come back to town, because I'd love to take my son to see him.

7. Brett Jason

Brett Jason Stunt Coordinator

can someone recap what happened with the ambulance? I saw nWo kick Rock's ass and spray paint him, but missed the ambulance part

8. Mike Miskulin

Mike Miskulin Second Unit

What was the original name of WWF's Monday night show (hosted by Gorilla Monsoon and The Brain) when it first came on the USA network back in the early 80's? This has been bugging me for some time.

mike.

9. Bill Geiger

Bill Geiger Second Unit

The name of the show was Prime Time Wrestling.

10. Bill Geiger

Bill Geiger Second Unit

As far as the ambulance scene, after the Rock Bottom on Hogan, as the Rock is going up the ramp, he was attacked by Nash and Hall. He was then given the Razor's Edge, a Power Bomb and then the leg drop. Then comes the spray paint and so on. As we come back from break, we see the Rock being put in the ambulance. As it pulls away, a big rig pulls up, along with a Caddy.

Out come Hall and Nash in the Caddy, Hogan driving the big Rig. The three of them get everyone out of the ambulance and put chains on all the doors. Hogan gets in the Big rig and backs up. Going about 30 or 40, Hogan crashes into the ambulance "with Rock inside." They do this a few more times.

The segment ends when all three of them are looking inside the ambulance, "stunned", through the back door. They then drive off in the Caddy.

It was a pretty entertaining segemnet and Raw was much much better than nWo (No Way Out).

11. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

This has to be one of the most memorable gags in WWF history. The thing that baffles me is what the stunt cost to produce, when you're essentially trashing an ambulence with a rig.

Not since Stone Cold poured cement into Vince's Caddy(?) has there been a jaw dropping damage gag. The Caddy now tours with WWF fan events (and probably weighs several tons to boot).

They regularly spend thousands of dollars on their pyrotechnics every week, but these types of gags, when executed well, definitely will help drive people to the major PPV's (in this case WM-X8).

12. Stevan Lay

Stevan Lay Second Unit

13. James T

James T Screenwriter

Did anyone watch No Way Out?

When Scott Hall starts talking at the beginning about having a few beers with Austin and then Nash and Hogan interrupted Hall waiving their finger saying "no"...and Hall's response was "just one.."

back to Raw...

Kurt Angle's respone to the Rock incident was the best...

When they ask him if he was upset over the events that happened that night and Angle said he was very upset...even though he was referring to his rematch with HHH and not the Rock.

14. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

Keith,
    Ausitn actually poured cement in one of Vince's Corvettes, not a caddy. I almost shed a tear seeing that. [​IMG]
    -Dean-