WWF pay-per-view DVD release schedule

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Miskulin, Mar 21, 2002.

1. Mike Miskulin

Mike Miskulin Second Unit

What is the WWF's general DVD release schedule? I seem to recall it being about a two month turnaround from pay-per-view to disc. Anyone know when we can expect Wrestlemania X8?

mike.

2. GaryP

GaryP Second Unit

Mike,

DVD Empire has it listed for April 30, 2002. Hope this helps.

Gary

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Has Wrestlemania 3 ever been released to dvd (Silverdome with Hogan vs Andre and the insanely long match between Rickie Steamboat and Machoman Savage)?

This is the only Wrestlemania I was into- back when wrestling was a bit more fun and comic-booky and less misogynic.

I'd love to own #3 on DVD.

-vince

4. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

Id love to have 3 and 4 on DVD. 3 for Andre/Hogan and Macho/Steamboat and 4 for the entire tourney where Macho won the title

capt

5. Van Patton

Van Patton Second Unit

I think it's a little bit narrowminded to say that wrestling is misogynic. It might have been that way in 1997-98 but they have toned down their image now. The "Attitude" era is over.

6. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

7. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

Doctoral scholars and pro wrestling are two things that should probabaly never meet, and the fact that some doctoral scholars invest time in studying wrestling is kind of sad and makes me pity them. As a lifelong fan, I'll admit to the misogyny, but wrestling is built by and for overgrown junior high boys, like myself. Sexism is prevalent, but is slowly but surely improving. Wrestling is like cheesy slasher movies and teen T&A movies, built to entertain certain impulses in males and therefore kind of critic-proof.

8. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Nick,

You raise a good point- which is (I am sort of putting words in your mouth here, but) the idea of harmless fun.

I think, however, the reason why scholars do get involved in studying pro wrestling is that it does have a very distinct and decided impact on culture. There is, whether we want to study it or not, an absolute connection between the mentaily of young men and the media they consume.

I don't think any of these people would want (or deserve) your pity-- and there is certainly plenty of research and thought that could go into exactly how we have created the society we currently live in (and what factors go into to creating the identies we assume). I don't want to get sidetracked with statistics, but I think it's fair to say that we live in/propigate a society which demeans and certainly objectifies women, and places them in a particular motif of roles.

If someone chooses to simply move forward through your existance without asking or caring why things happen the way they do- that's certainly fine-- but I'm a bigger fan of the observed existance.

It isn't so much an issue of prowrestling being critic proof, as taking a long hard look at what we {inadvertently maybe} teach young boys about their roles as men... and what the roles of women are as well.

Granted, I think adults realize that the hyper realities of pro wrestling, and similar entertainment are not a good way to actually interact-- however to assume that it has no impact on the developing personalities of the young (or mentally young) is naive, IMHO. While often attributed as "natural impulses"- some would argue that these are not natural, and instead culturally influenced.

My apologies for hijacking this thread- it was my fault entirely with my misplaced comment above. Please, I will happily butt out and return this thread to discussion of WWF DVD release schedules.

Does anyone know if/when Wrestlemania 3 is due?

-V

9. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

I have no idea when any are due to hit on DVD, but I'd personally love to see either one big box set, or a series of smaller box sets covering all the Wrestlemanias to date.

10. Mike Miskulin

Mike Miskulin Second Unit

April 30th sounds good to me! I love the quick turnaround on these releases. Can't wait to watch that Hogan/Rock match with better picture and sound than the first viewing!

mike.

11. Tom Oh

Tom Oh Second Unit

I, tto, would love to have WM3 on DVD. I have the VHS which is pretty weak in the video department. I was actually there at Silverdome. I took my little brother and dad who had a great time. For those who look down on wrestling, all I have to say is that it is a form of entertainment like a play or a movie.

12. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

I too, would love to see some of the older Wrestlemanias on DVD, specifically WM4, the tournament one. I kinda lost interest in Wrestling in the early 90s and havent really payed much attention since then, but at the time, number 4 was the only one that was held in a tournament style. Macho Man wrestled like 4 times during that, and that was the one where Andre the Giant was paied by the Million Dollar Man to lose or something.....its been years since I've seen it. Also, if memory serves correctly, that even held the record for largest indoor sporting event attendance for quite some time, it might even still stand.

Either way, I would love to see the older wrestlers on my favorite round disk format.

13. Derrick_Ellis

Derrick_Ellis Stunt Coordinator

I'm sure if enough people bother WWF Entertainment they would release the old Wrestlemanias on DVD. It's not like Vince doesn't have enough money to do it! lol.