What's new

WWE Smackdown: Shut Your Mouth (1 Viewer)

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
Yeah, the create a wrestler is nice. I was just disappointed because it was just Smackdown revisited... I bought RAW for the Xbox, and the gameplay on that was just horrible.

I really liked Attitude for PS1, and the one before it, Warzone I think. I liked that there were more moves and pulling off the special wasn't quite so easy. Plus, it had blood and the Create A Pay Per View was awesome! I also miss not being able to win and lose the belts in exhibition -- I should be able to have a fun 'ol time winning belts and battle royals, etc. But alas, it's not to be.

I'm actually curious to see this Def Jam wrestling, or whatever it's called with all the rappers in it. I don't picture it being big on technique from the screen shots, but an ECW style game could be fun.

Doug

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Im not a wrestling fan, but I am a wrestling game fan. I've been playing a "season mode" in Shut Your Mouth and I find it incredibly easy. Does the challenge pick up or does it always seem like you can easily beat the snot out of any opponent?

Philip_S

Stunt Coordinator
I've got it but haven't played it in a while. King of Colosseum is the new king of console wrestling games.

Smackdown: SYM's graphics are vastly improved over part 3. So are the story mode and match options. Smackdown has always had a great create-a-wrestler mode since part 2.

Thankfully, Yukes scaled down the terrible load/save times that Part 3 had. And the inexplicably large save file.

For some strange reason, my copy of Smackdown had problems saving to the Memory Card in slot 1. I would play for a while, save, then the next time I played the BGM would be shut off, the number of wrestlers was suddenly smaller, and options would disappear. When I started a match, there were no wrestlers, just wireframe praying mantises on the mat. When I saved the game to Slot 2 it works fine. Very strange.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Rob,

I'm right there with you vis-a-vis wresting and wrestling games. I haven't picked this one up because I'm trying to hold out for Raw 2. How is Smackdown?

Philip,

What system is King of Colosseum on?

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Smackdown is fun, but way too easy. I find myself bored with it after only playing a handful of games. I want to see how the "season mode" progresses, so that may be the only reason I continue to play.

Anyone remember Mat Mania or Wrestlefest? Now those were fun wrestling games. Hell, even the original Nintendo wrestling was simple yet fun and challenging.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Rob,

I loved Mat Mania and Wrestlefest. Those games rocked. Another great game was Main Event.

The original Pro Wrestling on the Nintendo is an absolute classic.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Todd Terwilliger said:
I have yet to meet a person who could beat the game without King Slender or turbo. :laugh:
Since this is my first ever new generation wrestling game (I didn't even own the N64 ones), I'm very impressed with this game.
I swear, it's ten times more fun to create wrestlers on your own. Rowdy Roddy Piper, Mr. Perfect, Demolition, and whatnot.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Dome,
I used Fighter Hiyabusa (sp?) exclusively and had no problem beating the tar out of the CPU sans turbo. His special kick attack was deadly once I figured out how to properly apply it. :emoji_thumbsup: :D

Philip_S

Stunt Coordinator
King of Colosseum is for the PS2 in Japan. Basically, it's a 3D version of Fire Pro Wrestling, done by the same developer, Spike. KOC is a pretty realistic, grappling based wrestling game. A must for Puroresu fans.

The Red disk is out now and features several of the top Japenese promotions, there's a second disc (Green) that comes out in Feb. that will feature all the other Japanese feds. Somehow, perhaps using the HD, you can link the games up and have interpromotional matches. How this works remains to be seen.

Apparently, the more you play Trial Road (basically, story mode) you can unlock secret wrestlers and movesets/body parts for real wrestlers. A good number of American stars are hidden in the game.

Rumor had it that BAM! was going to bring the KOC series to America before they ran into financial troubles.

Michael G Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Nothing seems to compare to the N64 THQ titles. I rented Smackdown, thinking I would be playing a PS2 version of WWF Wrestlemania 2000, just beefed up with visuals and audio with the same game play since it's from THQ. Oh, so wrong. Or maybe I didn't give the game enough time.

Does anyone remember Championship Wrestling for the Amiga? Not sure if that's the correct name. That was a great game in its day.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Todd Terwilliger said:
Michael G Jones said:
I had a friend who said the exact same thing, that is, unitl he played it some more. Reverses are a lot harder to pull off, and the game isn't so much a button masher anymore. It has more to do with timing. And they certainly got rid of the analog advantage. Specials are a lot easier to pull off.
The CAW is a lot better though, granted the one thing that Shut Your Mouth doesn't have that the THQ versions have is multiple uniforms and props.
I played RAW on XBox, and I wasn't too impressed with it.
However, it seems like I need to give this King of Colosseum game a shot.

Philip_S

Stunt Coordinator
I found Smackdown 4 much better than WMX8 on the Gamecube. The character models & gameplay are pretty similar. Smackdown has more modes & a much better create-a-wrestler, more stuff to unlock. WM is missing a lot of the signature music for the wrestlers because of licensing issues (what's with the phony nWo theme?)

I lost interest in WM, when the story mode turned into a dozen straight handicap, gimmick matches in a row against cheating computer AI. I know it's a wrestling game, but come on.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Amazon rules!!!
WM is missing a lot of the signature music for the wrestlers because of licensing issues (what's with the phony nWo theme?)
Again, another glaring example of when the worlds of movies and games collide: companies having clearance issues with their own stuff that they created. :rolleyes

Michael G Jones

Stunt Coordinator
I'm going to dig out Fire Pro & Giant Gram for the Dreamcast this weekend. The only sad thing is that the girlfriend is more into the platform titles. I've tried on numerous occassions to get her into the N64 THQ games for the sake of having some competition. Unreal tournaments are easy to find but a Wrestling tournament, that's another story. I'm looking forward to Def Jam Vendetta in the meantime.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks